Radeon HD 2900 (R600) reviews thread

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Geeforcer, May 10, 2007.

1. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

2. IbaneZ

Regular

HD should be in front of 2900. :oops:

3. SugarCoat

Veteran

at the risk of stating the obvious, whats the point of this thread if you dont want anything until the launch? makes the purpose of this thread even existing days before launch seem a little egocentric.

4. fallguy

Veteran

Admin edit: Please, TPU's article wasn't supposed to be leaked, so please don't link to the copied assets and wait until NDA expires to read it properly. There's more to W1zzard's work than the numbers.

Gracias, and sorry fallguy!

5. fallguy

Veteran

No problems. The numbers didnt add up to me anyways. X1900XT beating the HD 2900XT more times than not. Perhaps poor drivers. Guess we cant talk about it either, so Ill hush. :)

6. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Can we only post legit reviews and not shody (p)reviews that are still in doubt over their authenticity?

7. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Roughly translated;

This thread is presently useless.

And I couldn't agree more... We have the Rumors and Speculation thread, which is where all the fogey and bogus 'p/reviews' are, there's nothing official yet, and we probably wont see anything until a short while after launch (a day is common). Seems very premature, we're going to see a few pages of tripe before anything even remotely interesting comes along. Either a mod sticks around to keep the thread clear of anything review-unrelated, or at least a temporary lock would be nice... (for the sake of a clean, focused thread when the time comes). :razz:

8. Maintank

Regular

Performance appears blah, hot, eats power, and IQ is on par with the 8800.
    6 months late and this is all they can come up with? Makes me wonder how much AMD knew about these issues before they made their ill fated purchase for a chipset nobody uses and graphics cards that are late.

9. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Perhaps they knew exactly the same sort of things as when they made their ill fated decision to create the FX 4x4 platform to go head-to-head with Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad? It is platform no one uses that's over 6 months late, appears blah, hot, eats power, and delivers sub-par performance? It seems like they're following suit with Barcelona too. :cry:

10. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Chipset no one uses? I suggest you take a look at the chipset market share again. What enthusiasts use is not very reflective of what everyone else uses.

I also not sure why people state the "6 months late and this is all they can come up with" line. Its six months late for a reason, they had issues. That doesn't make up for the fact that the chip would have probably had the same performance then. But you can't make magic in six months, especially since that was likely a delay and you have to fix those problems before adding "teh magics" to it.

I'm highly disappointed mainly from the stand point that the product is not as good as Nvidia's. Its that simple really. G80 is more efficient, equal image quality, and what appears to be similar performance. I really wish there was an in depth view on why the last two ATi chips have been so much less efficient. R520, you could maybe say the image quality (but so much?), but this time around there appears to be little reason. Nvidia is predicting the markets needs much better it appears and has a much more clear image on its future.

11. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

12. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Hmm, that certainly put the HD 2900XT in a rather positive light. Which is interesting, for the most part it did decently better than the GTS and if price is there then I'd certainly pick it over the GTS. Curious about those Serious Sam 2 scores as the 2900XT did worse than the X1950XT in that case.

I think we might see a Nvidia move here, you know drivers that come out later that magically improve performance. Hard to say. Waiting out further...

13. INKster

Veteran

Or "price adjustments". Well, we never know... ;)

14. weeds

Newcomer

No mention of drivers used for ATI or NV, But if you go back to the launch review of the 8 series, Nov 8th the results are exact for NV.
    http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=grfx&id=474&pagenumber=5
    So looks like a copy and past job from the launch review, Forceware 96.xx..

15. MulciberXP

Regular

reviewer bias always shines in the conclusions. unashamedly comparing the price of the 8800ultra to the 2900xt.

16. SugarCoat

Veteran

Not sure how old this is but ZZF seems to be leading the large etailer X2900 launch.

HIS/Diamond/Sapphire all instock @ $399-$425

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=111704&SortBy=D

I have an itchy tringer finger and just want to try one but i cant afford, nor does it make sense, having both that and a GTX :cry:. Been looking forward to the R600 for over a year though so it feels very underwhelming.

Plus kinda worried about an R580 scenerio where they'll launch a refresh in less than 3 months.

17. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Interesting, didn't notice. Welp, another crap review...

18. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

You know, I wonder. That's the second review I've seen that uses 7-month old launch drivers for 8800. This is borderline bizarre. Another thing that struck me in some reviews is some rather strange game-to-game variations with no rime or reason. One game is tested at one resolution, but not the other. One game is tested with 4xAA/16xAF while the other uses 8xAA/8xAF. And, what in my recollection is a first, card prices are included in every test result alongside the name. Trying a little too hard to make a point, eh? I hope those "ideas" didn't originate in a review guide.

19. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Nothing sinister there I'd imagine. I've seen that kind of arbitrary benchmarking from those sites before. Move on folks, no conspiracy here :)

20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Guru3D and HardOCP chime in. Sorry, too tired and lazy to find links :)