Radeon branded ddr3 memory?

Maybe it's the result of some deal between AMD and memory manufacurer(s). I believe they would have something to gain by selling their products under an AMD brand.

They want to close the full circle -- CPU, GPU, chipset and now the RAM. I'm waiting for [re]branded SSD storage, PSUs could follow suite, too... total Apple-isation! :LOL:

There is value in knowing the memory will be completely compatible, but that's about it, and consumers trust other memory vendors to work that out for them already. Not really sure what's going on with this, other than it adds another piece to their platform puzzle.

there were "SLI" memory modules, just in time for the death of nvidia chipsets :)
as for the bad timings, high timing, high frequency works well for the GPU. (the PC12800 version)

but it will have to be cheap or else it reminds of useless vendor supplied memory at 2x/3x the price, satisfying non existent compatibility concerns with your OEM branded PC.
/edit : from reading the article, it's cheap :oops:

memory is a commodity in oversupply, that rebranding deal was not a complicated affair. the biggest french online store, a newegg equivalent, has been selling cheap memory sticks with its brand written over the chips.
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00107591.html

still i haven't understood if they rebranded shitty modules or if it's their first official long term step in this market

maybe it's all due to some complicated license terms that impose to actually sell real products to have access to some other rights / technology?

There is value in knowing the memory will be completely compatible, but that's about it, and consumers trust other memory vendors to work that out for them already. Not really sure what's going on with this, other than it adds another piece to their platform puzzle.

They'll be completely compatible because they're horribly slow crap? Ultrapro gaming RAM at 11-11-11 timings for 1600Mhz RAM? Why?

1866MHz 11-11-11 would be worth buying, if it's cheap as crap :)
it strikes me that llano is great for one thing, slap a big cooler on it and you're done, no need to buy a card like an expensive dual slot geforce GT430 or a crappy passive GT520.

a pentium G620 is still much cheaper though, or an X3.

they are more confused than us

"AMD does not manufacture memory and does not plan to sell system memory directly to our customers. AMD is currently determining if the sale of AMD Radeon-branded memory through channel partners is a viable opportunity and as such it has appeared in some regions for purchase through retail," said Dave Erskine, a spokesman for AMD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5156/introducing-amds-memory-brand

Last is the Radeon Edition memory, which will come in 4GB and 8GB kits and offer DDR3-1866 and up to DDR3-2133 support with CL9 operation (and presumably CL7/8 operation at lower speeds). The Radeon Edition parts will also have support for overclocking via AMD OverDrive software; availability is expected in Jan/Feb 2012.

start to looks better, still i have little faith in this initiative

Meh, just 4G per stick. I want 8 and at non-insane price. I think currently there are a couple of those on sale but at nearly 10x the price of 4G sticks.

Back