Radeon 9800 XT Review

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Kristof, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Kristof

Regular Alpha

[​IMG]Today ATI launches its latest in high end graphics accelerators, Radeon 9800 XT. With larger architectural shift not occuring until next year with the introduction of PCI Express, for the rest of this year it would appear that we are looking at a round of speed increases from current architectures. Here we lift the lid on the performance of the Radeon 9800 XT to see exactly what this speed bump does for us...<blockquote>"Whatever the case may be with regards to this being a new chip or a revised chip, essentially the design does remain the same; however there have been a few architectural tweaks in order to remove further hotspots from the R350 design and also move to a revised 150nm process. Although the process is still basically TSMC's 150nm process the transistors are able to switch faster on this process than the previous one, giving rise to a slightly higher clock speed."</blockquote>Read the full review here

Update: The Catalyst 3.8 drivers, which bring a number of new driver features as well as Radeon 9800 XT's OVERDRIVE overclocking functionality, have been released. We have a small performance in features review of them here.

2. reever

Newcomer

meh. It makes me slightly annoyed that ATI couldn't do any real core tweaks to this card like they did with the 9800, but since hellbinder is going around telling everybody theres a feature on this card that will make people want to upgrade, i think ill reserve my judgement until the cat 3.8's

3. demalion

Veteran

Nice review and details. I'm especially happy because I've been waiting for just this card. I like the continued caution with AGP slot compatibility, and the highly visible and accurate info and precautions relating to AF.

Note: I believe there is a way to expose the overclocking features already...is the card still around for some informal results if someone tries to go look it up...?

I am, however, puzzled about the "beards" mentioned in the review...did someone steal Kristof's and benchmark it? :?: Is this the long awaited product from "those guys, remember them"? :p

Misc typos I recall:
    Tom/Tomb
    boars/boards

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Nice review...but I guess we gotta wait for the new drivers to find out what it can really do. :(

(Man, that just sounds sooo like an nVidiot statement... :roll: :lol: )

5. Anonymous

Veteran

nice review

unfortunatly the one really interesting feature that may make this card worth the upgrade couldn't be tested :?

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Heh, funny thing...

You almost came across as critical of ATi for not letting you have the un-certified 3.8 drivers with all the kewl new features, yet aren't you an advocate of not using beta drivers in reviews? :lol:

Sorry, sorry. I know, and I wanted to see you using the 3.8 set to see how the Overdrive works. I just also got a chuckle thinking of that aspect of it. ;)

7. Dean

Newcomer

Not overly impressed with the card as it really does not offer anything over a standard 9800pro(although video in is a big plus). I had to read your review from start to finish though as it was so perfectly done.

8. CorwinB

Regular

Excellent review as usual, folks.

Regarding the card, depending on the pricing, availability and supposed availability of the R420 sometimes early next year, I may or may not upgrade to it. I'm especially waiting for some user-reported overclocking potential (since I never, ever trust a golden samples given to reviewers by hardware manufacturers regarding o/c).

9. Genghis Presley

Newcomer

I think you mean West Coast Dave, unless someone has moved California overnight. :lol:

Genghis.

10. Miksu

Regular

Hmh, Cats are released every 6 weeks or so, so Cat 3.8 should be released somewhere around second week of October, not November? This is second review with that Novermber-info but I still think that it's wrong.

edit: btw. Nice review :)

11. Joe DeFuria

Legend

I've been wondering about this as well. All of the review sites are citing "November" for the "Catalyst Overdrive" drivers. Yet, ATI has themselves (in a recent public chat) indicated an October 8th release date for the Cat 3.8s.

The only way for this not to be a conflict, is for Overdrive to not appear until Cat 3.9s....

12. Anonymous

Veteran

I have emailed Dave with the clarification. It may be my fault that November was communicated but we certainly are on track for October 8th and Cat 3.8 to deliver overdrive for the 9800XT (The 9600XT will be enabled with Cat 3.9)

13. Miksu

Regular

And this was posted by Catalyst Maker, who didn't remember to log in :p

14. Ollo

Newcomer

Cat 3.8 might coincide nicely with the nv38 release :)

Great review - thanks!

15. CATALYST MAKER

Newcomer

D'oh
    ok I logged in now so to make sure the earlier post by the dumb "guest" is viewed as legit.

Once again
    I have emailed Dave with the clarification. It may be my fault that November was communicated but we certainly are on track for October 8th and Cat 3.8 to deliver overdrive for the 9800XT (The 9600XT will be enabled with Cat 3.9)

16. Anonymous

Veteran

best review so far :p

(will probably stay that way too )

anyway thanks for including Wolf ET in the review. That was great ;)

17. Tokelil

Regular

Im wondering why shadermark2 wasn't used? (Im not sure how much new information this would give though... just wondering)

I liked that recap of the ATI history in the beginning of the preview.

18. Anonymous

Veteran

Anyone want to tell me what is wrong there? ;)

19. vrecan

Regular

I dont see anything wrong.......

20. Anonymous

Veteran

I wasn't aware of an radeon 256. A radeon 64 yes:)