Radeon 9700 Pro on PCI express already?

gkar1

Regular
Ripped from Geazy.com

http://www.gzeasy.com/itnewsdetail.asp?nID=7760

at1.jpg

I find it somewhat hard to believe that the connector would look exactly like today's PCI connectors. I would tend to think that this is either a plain PCI card, or a photoshop edited card. Can anybody with better visualization skills than myself see any reasons why this would be true (or not true)?

Well, sorry, I don't read Chinese. I would really like to see an English site post something official about this before I form any final conclusions. Without any PCI Express support from Intel until 2004, I still find it highly-unlikely that this is an actual PCI Express-capable card. If the pic was actually taken from IDF, then it may be a concept board, or even just a standard PCI board that was shown in an attempt to give more than just words to ATI putting full backing behind PCI Express use for graphics.

I dont read chinese either. I use babelfish :)
Even if the board is a prototype/proof of concept, it shows that the standard is garnering support. THAT im most interested about, because considering the way video cards are heading, the AGP interface will quickly become a bottleneck itself.

It seems odd that it would have the same part number as an AGP board... even more odd that it would appear to have the same components as the AGP version, considering it's supposed to be a serial bus instead of a parallel bus.

I laugh at all of you, really.

First i get replies that if it wasn't posted on an english speaking site its assumed fake/made up news. I take the trouble to host the image myself for all of you to enjoy, and you call it photochoped. Again i laugh at all of you again. Sigh

Here's you precious ENGLISH speaking sites posting it too:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1791&p=8

http://warp2search.net/article.php?sid=10811&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

ATI has already shown off a Radeon 9700 with an AGP-to-PCI Express bridge, to illustrate how quickly current generation graphics can be moved over to PCI Express.

Laugh it up if you want, just makes you look more like a nutcase :)

ATI has already shown off a Radeon 9700 with an AGP-to-PCI Express bridge

If they were demonstrating a PCIE card, why would they need an AGP-to-PCI bridge? And could you point the bridge out on the card for me, I don't see it.

It's also odd that they're using the same method and arrangement for the power management components, as a PCIE 9700 Pro card shouldn't need external power connectors:

One of the major advantages of the PCI Express interface over AGP for graphics happens to be that the AGP specification only allows for 20 - 40W of power for graphics cards, whereas PCI Express will support power consumption of approximately 60W.

The only one I see making insults is you, I simply made a joke about it. And you still haven't explained to me why this supposedly PCIE card is identical in every way to the AGP card, except for the connector on the bottom.

I have to admit the pic does look photoshoped, but atleast the story seems true. Has any other chipset maker said when they are thinking of bringing out a pci-express capable mobo?

gkar1 said:
I dont read chinese either. I use babelfish :)
Even if the board is a prototype/proof of concept...

It's not a prototype, it's a NO-totype, lol. :LOL:

Such a blatent fake, dude...

MuFu.

I'm not saying there's no such thing as a PCI-Express 9700 Pro, but that particular photo of a PCI-Express 9700 Pro is an obvious Photochop, and a poor one at that. On close inspection you can actually see where they erased the AGP "hook"... they never even bothered to draw the original drop-shadow back. The copy-paste job on the PCI connector leaves a lot to be desired as well.

"At first, there will be AGP-to-PCI Express bridges, but the goal is to eventually make video cards have a native PCI Express interface. ATI has already shown off a Radeon 9700 with an AGP-to-PCI Express bridge, to illustrate how quickly current generation graphics can be moved over to PCI Express."

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1791&p=8

That photo may be a chop, but the reality is that Ati was showing off the first generation of PCI Express at the IDF. It also stated that cards will have to have availability by the end of 2003, does this mean we will see a R400 variation on PCI Express? And as usual, it looks like Ati is the first mover, just in the first to demonstrate a working DDRII card.

From the words of the article, it says

"??????microdick????????ATi??PCI Express x16 ????? Radeon9700 Pro ????,???????? Anandtech ???????:p,??????????"

Translated to

"A guy microdick from the forum gave us a picture of ATI Radeon9700 Pro graphics card with PCI Express x16 interface ... " (others not really related to the main point)

Will you believe that ? I know I don't.

[edit]add the name back to the sentense, the simplified Chinese became question marks and some funny stuffs after post, ha ha[/edit]

gkar1 said:
I laugh at all of you, really.

First i get replies that if it wasn't posted on an english speaking site its assumed fake/made up news. I take the trouble to host the image myself for all of you to enjoy, and you call it photochoped. Again i laugh at all of you again. Sigh

satisfied its photoshop now?

BTW I know your intentions were honourable - but your replies pointing out an obvious fake photo were not.

Back