R600 has 512-bit external memory bus, Orton promises it takes no prisoners

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Geo, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Bjorn

Veteran

I would perhaps even say "cost/performance/watt" cause ATI has been loosing a lot of marketshares on the mobile side lately.

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

One of the interesting overarching points from yesterday's AMD presentations, is that at a corporate level they've clearly pegged cost/performance/watt as a major corporate-wide thing they are going to push very hard on now and going forward.

Having said that, obviously AMD corporate had between slim and none (and Slim may have been out of town that day) input into R600's development.

But longer term I think there's a very good chance that corporate focus has impact on future GPU products. That's not to suggest that the old ATI didn't give a rats ptootie for that, but it seems relatively clear to me that AMD places a higher premium on it than the old ATI did.

3. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

So, they're going to strive to produce cost, performance and power sensitive parts from now on?
    As if there were companies that are doing their best to produce huge, unefficient and eating power like Roseanne eats cake parts, that's what you're trying to say?

I mean saying that their plan is to produce high performance parts with low power requirements, all that at a low price, is hardly much but a blank statement. If it isn't, then it's the basic plan of every semiconductor companies out there.

4. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Hence making such a big deal out of it would suggest they plan to do it better than their competition.

Or they're just silly twits, which of course one must think carefully about before ruling out.

5. kemosabe

Veteran

This all sounds very promising as far as R600 memory bandwidth goes, but the disease that plagues ATI (and that has been responsible for most of its recent market share losses, IMO) is its consistent inability to get competitive products out in a timely fashion. As things stand today with the Vista launch around the corner, everything indicates that the antidote continues to elude them. I'm now expecting R600 to ultimately be remembered as the latest inductee in ATI's "had it only been available three months earlier" Hall of Fame.

6. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

I'm still not 100% convinced that it's a 512-bit bus considering a 384-bit bus connected to GDDR4 @ 1.2GHz provides 115.2GB/s of bandwidth, which still fits nicely with Orton's statement I think. However, at this point I would be more surprised if it's not 512-bit than if it is.

Regardless, it's definitely greater than 256-bit. I think we've all come to agree on that.

Razor1 likes this.
  7. Jakob

Newcomer

I'd be more inclined to believe the guy if he showed some intellectual honestly about being in second place. "Yeah, we got our ass handed to us by G80", rather than this continual "leadership in graphics innovation" delusion.

We shall see...

8. Jawed

Legend

9. pakotlar

Banned

Hey I'd get excited about "even" 115.2GB/s. That's not 150, but nothing to scoff at. I remember when we were getting our panties bunched over 6GB/s.

10. Megadrive1988

Veteran

this is certainly awesome news that R600 likely has a 512-bit bus. I really didn't expect it until R700 or R800.

that said, even with a 512-bit external memory bus providing over 100 GB/sec bandwidth, that's still less than Xenos' internal EDRAM bandwidth of 256 GB/sec. It's apples and oranges I know, completely different setup. R600 has to handle beyond HD resolutions and tons of anti-aliasing, at least 16x if not 32x to match Nvidia, among other things.

11. Sound_Card

Regular

In exacution yes, I agree. In Performance and value... no, because none of us know. But I will say, it sounds like Dave O. is excited for sure.

12. Jawed

Legend

Xenos's 8 ROPs don't use compression techniques. At a guess 64GB/s would be enough if Xenos had compression hardware and the kind of colour-buffer/z-buffer/stencil-buffer cache architecture that PC GPU ROPs have.

Xenos's mother<->daughter link is 32GB/s with compression.

Jawed

13. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

Hmmm. Dynamic = PR code for Unified? If Jen-Hsun describes G80 as a stream processor, and Cell is a stream processor made for multimedia, then it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to see Dyn Vid Dec (DVD? :???: ) to mean using the whole GPU, rather than some of it, for decoding.

I'm inclined to not just agree with you but raise you some cynicism (thinking that such a focus sounds like a company trailing in that metric). Intel definitely had us going with Netburst, though.

14. Jawed

Legend

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=835219&postcount=3

Jawed

Pete likes this.
  15. Razor1

Veteran

I hope he is excited, it would kind of suck if one of thier own leaders doesn't talk well of their next gen products :wink: , I mean would Jen have said the Fx was a piece of shit you think there would be any sales for them or would Jen still be the CEO of nV if he said something like that :)

16. Sound_Card

Regular

Jen may have never came out and said that the FX is shit. But If I remember right, he was not happy either. At that time period, he had thought that he had the GPU market conernered all to him self.

17. Razor1

Veteran

He wasn't happy with the delay that is true (he also kept this at a neutral tone by explaining how the creation and cost of these complex chips are escilating by 200% ever generation), but he did say the amount of money it took to create and how revolutionary the fx will be to the industry.

18. Rangers

Legend

The article wording clearly states R600 on 512 bus as a fact. Therefore we can perhaps conclude the author knows more than he is letting on.
    "
    R600 has 512-bit external memory bus
    " (article wording). Not, R600 presumably has 512 bit bus, or likely, or anything like that. And later in the article "R600 will therefore feature a 512-bit external memory bus"

#58 Rangers, Dec 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2006
  19. Rangers

Legend

Where do you get that???!!

20. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Everyone knew R600 would be a high end part, but there's really no telling yet if AMD will continue doing high end parts, I would personally assume that R700 is safe but after that and it'll depend on the lines success.