R600 has 512-bit external memory bus, Orton promises it takes no prisoners

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Geo, Dec 15, 2006.

1. ZoinKs!

Regular

I don't think most of what I said was really that new. I haven't followed any r600 speculation so I don't which pages they talked about it, but Uttar's summary mentions 4 banks of 16 (total of 64) as probable for r600. (Except they use "pipeline" instead of "alu". I doubt either term is precisely correct. :wink: ) [EDIT: Ack, it's right on the 1st page... I need to follow that thread better.]

I suspect there'll be more then 64 but that's just a hunch. But it's nice to find out I'm not the only one with that train of thought.

My method of r600 speculation is to look at Xenos and consider A.) what could be improved and B.) what makes sense for a pc part as opposed to a console piece. Extrapolating the current trend is a risky but sometimes useful technique.

Method B is the reason I don't think there's eDRAM. The pc has to support up to 2560x1600 res rather then the medium resolutions of so-called "High Definiton" TV. They'd need a mammoth chunk of pricey eDRAM to make it useful considering the res plus hdr/aa/af/bs.

One the other hand, I had also thought there was no way ati could get the .15 r300 out at any speed greater then 315 mhz... oops. :razz:

#21 ZoinKs!, Dec 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2006
  2. Monty

Regular

I havn't heard the webcast yet, but how does Orton's quote "new levels of memory bandwidth to the graphics subsystem, and bandwidth is critical to graphics performance", imply 512-bit memory interface. New levels of bandwidth could mean an extra 1gig to him for all we know.

3. ZoinKs!

Regular

The thing is, Dave Orton knows what he's talking about. :wink:

4. Gnerma

Regular

I'm with you on this Monty. I don't see how Orton's statement means 512bit external bus 100%. Who is to say ATi won't do a non multiple of two bus like Nvidia just with much faster GDDR4 riding on it?

5. Razor1

Veteran

Very good chance its 512 :grin:

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Maybe people know more than they can let on due to NDA, but now that Orton has let the cat out of the bag, it's reasonable to make the 512 bit bus confirmed public knowledge?

7. Davros

Legend

i do know that dirk bloke should be sacked for using the word synergies twice :D

8. Monty

Regular

True, but hes not exactly going to say "we only just have a lil bit more bandwidth than last gen" is he :razz:

Like I said before, he actually never mentioned a 512-bit bus, seems peoples definition of much more bandwidth may be a lot more than what his definition is.

And wouldn't someone under NDA confirming somthing like that be breaking NDA?

9. Razor1

Veteran

He left it ambiguous on purpose as you stated, but by stating "new levels of memory bandwidth" it really doesn't sound like its just going to be a little higher then what is currently avialable. Going to 512 on the other hand would give more credence to that quote though. Ortan pretty much confirmed one of thier major marketing tactics of the r600.

10. Sound_Card

Regular

Let's put it this way... we have more evidence suggesting a 512bit bus, then we do not.

first we got news from some asian web site, then we got pin shots later on, and last so far, we have Dave O. and his speech suggesting a leap in memory bandwith.

11. Monty

Regular

I'm not denying the possibility of a 512-bit bus, just this thread from the set go implied it was a definite. I just dont see that the evidence, news from some asian websites, pin shots, Orton's statement is enough to justify such definitude.

Or am I just that much of a skeptic :razz:

12. Sound_Card

Regular

I think you just being a good skeptic.:wink: It's just too bad gravity is working against you though..:smile:

13. nicolasb

Regular

I agree. If R600 has (say) a 384-bit external bus combined with a 768-bit internal ringbus, that could very easily be marketed as "double the bandwidth of our nearest rival" or indeed as "new levels of memory bandwidth to the graphics subsystem". Why "to the graphics subsystem" and not just "new levels of memory bandwidth" if he's talking about a full 512-bit external bus?

14. _xxx_

Banned

That will surely depend on the success or lack of such with this part.

15. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

newbie question:

What does 150+GB/s bandwidth give us in terms of resolutions, AA, AF :?: (was thinking about Xenos' "perfectly" calculated eDRAM bandwidth for 720p + 4xAA for 8 ROPs)

16. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well for one thing, consider the context. This is a top level kind of presentation to financial analysts, providing bullet points. While it would be barely technically possible, using bleeding edge 1.4GHz GDDR4, for R600 to nose past G80 bw by < 5% with a 256-bit bus, to cite such a scenario as a competitive performance advantage to that audience, where you're only picking out a couple items to highlight, would be a highly contentious reading of affairs.

Do we have other sources to sift indications from, and have we been paying close attention to everything else that's been said and appeared around the web, and integrate those into our thinking and our willingness to stick our neck out in public? Well, of course.

This is a pretty big call to be making in public for us. We aren't the Inq. If we didn't feel pretty good about it we wouldn't have done it.

17. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Vroom vroom! Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. We know that Nvidia half-expects a 512-bit bus from ATI. So depending on the advantage this crapload of bandwidth provides to R600 and the nature of Nvidia's response we should have quite a little war brewing for all of 07.

Gonna be funny seeing those comparison tables at R600 launch - the memory bandwidth column should be quite amusing :D

18. _xxx_

Banned

Still, what will matter in the end is price/performance ratio, unless R600 downright kills G80.

19. seahawk

Regular

Bandwith only means something if the you belive that the chip is really balanced.

20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well yeah but who knows what R600's cost structure is gonna look like. It better scale well cost/performance wise else ATI is gonna get beat up again.

Well if it is balanced then the whoop ass cometh. ;)

#40 trinibwoy, Dec 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2006