R520 Infomania

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by russo121, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whql

Regular

So, tell us about what ati do then - not just stories you've heard from others (from who, I'm wondering...)

And, no, not all title / games are going to be equal, now, are they.

ati have had dev rel for years - "get in the game" appears to be something newer, and this sounds like nvidia's twimtbp

Most of the differences look like they were on the gun! Couldn't the difference be just down to slightly different texture handling? Demirug says there were only 6 alterations for nvidia, this just happens to be one does it?

Are you sure that activision didn't though?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/news_6090372.html

2. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

Razor1,how do you come to your conclusions? NVDA got out bid. they stopped for whatever reason. You do know ATI is a larger company that NVDA? I dont realy know, but from the time period it seemed there was some personality issue with NVDA PR and some devs. Going over the heads of devs to the Publishers suits to get what they want... suits greaseing suits , you know " the Way its ment to be Played

3. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Right, need for speed (2) Joint operations, unreal tournament, the list just goes on...

btw, how many people believe that there was a programmer on the unreal2003 team that bugged nv cards? since all they say "hey, that's a red crawling bomb destroying the green guy in the TWIMTBP logo..."

When is the next episode of x-files?

4. Razor1

Veteran

Dev rel only does so much, the rest is up to the developers them selves to do, Nvidia isn't going to make an entire engine for you. If a publisher pushes the developer to get the game out as fast as they can yeah there will be issues. You saw that with the 1.2 patch in Far Cry which was pushed out way too fast, really messed up ATi cards, the 1.3 fixed all that they needed a couple of months to do so.

Yes I do http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/r420-2_12.html

Where did it beat it by 20%?

Here is the one from Xbit

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0604/itogi-video-hl2-wxp-1600.html

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0704/itogi-video-hl2-wxp-1600.html

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0804/itogi-video-hl2-wxp-1600.html

5. Razor1

Veteran

I never said that ATi didn't have dev rel before only that it started picking up lately.

Its not just the gun there was a shot in there where the wall and gound were also different. I can understand if it was only the gun but when you have screens where there are no changes then there are ones with changes, there is something going on.

ID never did that, their publisher Activision did, thats the difference. Activision got thier cut like all publishers do then ID got thier money, for the sales. If Activision made ID make specific optimizations for nvidia cards you think Carmack would go for that?

Valve did it without Vivendi involved. Part of that court case was about that.

6. Razor1

Veteran

There is no way a publisher can force its developers to make something specific to happen, unless the publisher owns the developer. Which then makes them the boss anyways. EA is a different situation they do own most of the studios that makes games for them, so yes they can force thier developers to make specific opts if in turn they get favors form one of the ISV's. But when its a big time guy like ID or Valve publishers can't push thier weight around.

7. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

This has digressed from the path of the topic. Either keep it on topic (if there are any more morsels or rumours to discuss) or we'll stop this.

BTW - At this point in time I'd be surpised if both vendors don't support blending on modes other than FP16.

8. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Well I'm pretty sure it'll have one power molex required... ;)

9. Jawed

Legend

Will any of the R520 series be single-slot cooled?

Jawed

10. hoom

Veteran

I'm sorry to keep to the OT but the fact is that both Doom3 and Halflife2 were released sans the much vaunted & optimised NV3x code paths.

Not because ATI did some nefarious deal but because by that time Nvidia had their automatic shader substitution/first run recompilation infrastructure in place and were actively encouraging developers to just code one path.
    http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13401&view=previous

Now, on with the main show:

I predict that the heatsink will be made of copper and that there will be a fan on it.
    Further, the fan will probably be centrifugal flow type :cry:

11. whql

Regular

The water in half life 2 moves! The reason the gun is showing differences is because that also moves frame by frame and they can't get the screenhots in exactly the same position - the water shader shows differences because it is moving (wanna bet thats a flickering light or reflections from water on the floor in the other shot as well?)

12. Razor1

Veteran

I'm not going to comment anymore but it was a time demo, prerecorded path that excuss doesn't work.

Jawed it probably will be a double slot solution.

13. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Has anyone heard anything about any supey-dupey uber-demos that ATi will pimp their new hardware with? Are they just going to put out another chapter in the Ruby saga or can we expect some magic like the musical pipe machine thingy that came with the R300 and a bunch of other tech demos?

(Sayeth the Dig in a rather blatantly desperate attempt to keep the thread open.)

14. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well, what I want to know is if Wavey is going to Mediacast UK next week, and if special guests might get a peek at something cool (and related to this thread).

Given the silence at www.ati.com I've given up hope on any big announcements there, but I would still think they will have some goodies there --maybe even take-home goodie-bags for some special attendees? :wink:

15. Fodder

Fodder Stealth Nerd
    Veteran

I read a while back that the guys who made the original Ruby demo were hard at work on R520 launch demos, and that's why the X850 Ruby was handled internally.

16. _xxx_

Banned

Ahem, nV has enough cash to buy Valve like a few thousend times.

17. _xxx_

Banned

And you surely think all these people bought those cards just because of HL2...

18. whql

Regular

The benchmarks were a timedemo, but the images? Even if that was the case the screengrab would have to be from exactly the same frame for everything to be in exactly the same position. Its clear they are not in the same position because of the differences in the weapon in each of the shots that has one.

19. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Hmmm...ok this is somewhat off topic too, but didn't you a while back point out that IHVs are aware of the lack of exiting AAA titles?

That pro-Doom3/contra-HL2 (or vice versa) stuff is boring me to death, since neither titles blowed me personally out of my socks (even if it'll be considered "blasphemy" by some). And no pardon if I say so, neither/nor were reason enough to upgrade for; at least for me.

Question would be if there are going to be one or more highly expected games released around mid 2005, to push either/or IHV's new batch of GPU sales.

20. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

You guys get this thread locked because you can't take a direct hint to LET IT GO and I shall have to hunt you down and break wind while you're eating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.