R520 Infomania

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by russo121, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

It has, but since I do have a direct link for the forums I don't check the frontpage on a daily basis (good enough for a "sorry excuse"?).

2. hovz

Regular

r420 is for all intents and purposes 2 r300s on 1 board.

3. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

So what you trying to say? The R520 is for all intents and purposes 2 r420s on 1 board?

:lol:

US

4. vb

vb
    Regular

Joining this conversation rather late
    (BTW what on earth made resurect this thread?)

All pipes being equal, 600 MHz x16 pipes is, IMHO, faster than 400 MHz x 24 pipes.

you get same filrate, 50% faster HyperZ, 50% faster memory controller, 50% faster PCI-E controller, higher latency that can be hidden by increasing amount of cache, and with transistors to spare this should be easy.

the 24 pipes rumor is in conjunction with decoupled 16 ROP. If true, both variants should have 16 ROP; one running at 400MHz behind a crossbar and one hardwired and running 600MHz. Which one should be faster in FP blending?

5. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

And? If R520 is truly after all an SM3.0 chip, then you could also say that it's a "2*R300+SM3.0" or "R420+SM3.0".

For all intends and purposes a simple revamp isn't good enough for SM3.0 capabilities and if R520 has after all any similarities to Xenon/R500 then I can't figure out anything else.

6. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

I don't exactly understand the crossbar/hardwired line, since AFAIK all recent high end GPUs have a 4*64 memory controller.

As for the question: IMHLO the one that handles it's bandwidth more efficiently?

7. jvd

jvd
    Banned

why do u think there will be a speed diffrence ?

8. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

They should launch it at 5:20 on 5/20, lol.

9. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

In a presentation near the Fudo bridge? with the host of the show being Fuad Abazovic..

10. vb

vb
    Regular

I was reffering to the Fragment Crossbar evidenced here, not to the Memory Crossbar and it (question) was rather rethorical. Obviously 16ROPs@600MHz would work better than 16ROPs@400MHz. FP blending is one of the most important advantages of the NV40, and one that it is clearly targeted by R520.

Second language, sorry

And ATI cannot have a NV30 event even if they try. NV40 vs R480 is nowhere close to NV28 vs R300.

11. _xxx_

Banned

Errr...what? :?:

12. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

As with many aspects of different architectures I guess here also applies that ROP=!ROP.

Are 16 ROPs on R480@540 "working better" than 16 ROPs on NV40@400MHz?

13. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I don't quite get this analogy but I don't think, even with all the changes going into R520, ATI will make such (relatively) poor design decisions as Nvidia did with the FX.

14. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

I think the line in question (built on INQ's rumour) is more related to NV30's low-k 130nm related manufacturing hurdles than the shader core and it's aspects. There were more than one questionable design decisions surrounding NV30 back then.

Albeit I don't think any IHV is or ever will be immun to poor design decisions, I'd also think that it's unlikely for ATI to have stepped in more than one pitfalss; if there's actually one and there aren't any factors we're not encounting.

15. Xmas

Xmas Porous
    Veteran Subscriber

- they have much different Z-culling methods anyway
    - mem/bus interface controller isn't running at core clock, but at mem clock

ROPs in NV4x (and in R420 as well AFAIK) run at mem clock. So NV40 has them running at 550MHz.

16. russo121

Regular

Yeah.... R520 will be like nv30.... but... it's G70 who needs 225W of power.... Dustbuster 2 :D

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22917

"...It's simple maths, 75 W from PCIe motherboard connector, and two times 75 from a six pin power connector...."

17. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Hopefully that applies only to the highest-end card. If not then they're going to have a hard time convincing people to stick two molexes into sub $400 cards. Or maybe they're lobbying congress for a G70 tax rebate that will offset the extra electricity charges :)

18. vb

vb
    Regular

I was talking about this

I asume a hypothetical 24 pipes R520 will have 16 ROPs, but I don't have a R520 chip diagram to illustrate

yes, but if R520 turns out a slow, hot POS that needs a dustbuster ATI can choose just not to release it. R480 fares rather well vs NV40 and they have their SLI coming, which sound a lot better than AFR or SFR. They are fine for at least a year, when R600 is expected.

See above

Didn't know that :oops:

19. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I don't follow. If R480 is on par with NV40 and ATI decides not to release R520 (which has a snowball's chance in hell of happening) - how are they 'fine' when Nvidia is rumoured to be preparing a refresh of NV40?

20. russo121

Regular

:D I'll ask my electricity company if I can have a connection directly to their generator :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.