R520 Infomania

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by russo121, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _xxx_

Banned

I always go to the discussion first, directly from my favorites so I mostly get any changes on the front page days later :oops:

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Really? Beyond3D has a....

...nevermind, the joke is getting old even for me. :oops:

3. hovz

Regular

theres too many hurdles to overcome for r520 not to be a let down. i just dont see it happening. i also dont think the r300 core has enough life in it to beat a pumped up nv40 core.

4. Ostsol

Veteran

:roll: Can you or anyone else actually describe why? Or is everyone's argument just that "it's old"?

5. Hellbinder

Banned

In my best Cristopher Walken..

"That's just dumb"...

You dont even know what it is, What it can do, whats under the hood, or how fast it will be, or what kind of AA it will have. Yet you are already saying its destined to be a letdown?

The R300 core has not been in direct use for mnonths now. This is just another lame Nvidia propaganda type statement that has become fashionable to use. It means exactly squat becuase it has little bearing on the R420 core. Sure the Cores are fundamentally the same in structure but so what. Every graphics ship on earth is fundamentally the same in structure.

Besides logically,,, If the "R300 core" as you call it is currently kicking but on the NV40 core then why on earth wouldn't the trend continue with supped up cores on both sides???? Its not like the Nv40 is radically different in some way from the R420 as it is.

Please list the "Hurdles" you see that it will have to overcome. I am trying to figure out what on earth you could possibly be talking about.

R520 and whatever Nvidia releases will be competative products with each having a feature here or there that they tout as a must have but in the end both will play every game that ships with lots of eye candy and performance.

6. russo121

Regular

Like my 9800 Pro 8) It plays and will play very well until it's dead...

7. hovz

Regular

lets see, the nv 40 is much faster than r420 per clock. the only reason r420 is faster is because of clockspeed. ati wont have a process advantage next gen. do you really think 3 year old tech will beat a nv40 with equal fillrate? especiallywhen it already gets smashed in shadermark? i dont think so?

8. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Add that to your "eery NV30 similarities" list earlier. Tho hopefully ATI won't actually misrepresent theirs publicly, throwing gasoline on the fire.

9. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well, surely the thing we should all have learned from NV30 is that blind confidence in a previously successful vendor is a really bad idea.

I hope that R520 is a great part; just like I hope that NV has a great part coming up. But clearly ATI has the bigger wall to get over to make that happen this time (assuming NV's next is the 110nm part).

10. _xxx_

Banned

But we still don't have a slightest idea what nVidia is about to release. Besides the speculation, it might as well be THE gpu noone ever even dreamed of. Who the hell knows? Just look how they surprised everybody with the PS3 deal.

11. _xxx_

Banned

Just another one helping to reach 66.6 pages :twisted:

12. dan2097

Regular

Why do you think they wont have a process advantage?

The next nvidia card is looking to be on 0.11micron with the R520 on 0.09 low k

Regardless increasing performance per pipeline by 25%+ definitly isnt out of the question. Nvidia easily managed that between the nv3x and nv4x whilst quadrupling pipelines and all on the same process. :wink:

13. hovz

Regular

how good do you think ati will do at their first shot at .09? seeing as how EVERY SINGLE company has had issues when moving to .09, i don't think ati will be any different.

14. Razor1

Veteran

well ATi probably has 3 or 4 revisions done of the r520 so the .09 process might not be that much of an issue

But I do agree with you ATi has alot to do for the r520 and might be very difficult to do them all in one leap.

15. nelg

Veteran

Maybe they cut thier teeth on the R500.

16. lowdog

Newcomer

17. Sunrise

Regular

Funny, it sounds like "la la la" Fuad *monkey island-esque music playing* but it´s not from him. INQ really like shutting their brains off and writing stuff they read on various websites that in itself don´t make any sense at all. They should watch out for LeChuck, before it get´s too late.

Even if there´s some delay with R520 it would rather suggest that it has something to do with memory and not chip complexity. 130nm Low-K -> 90nm Low-K transition is not the problem here or everything that TSMC states is complete BS (and i´m in the TSMC camp).

18. dizietsma

Banned

There's just too many unknowns at present, in both camps, to be able to come to any conclusion, not only on how they compare, but even how powerful they will be full stop.

It's really quite remarkable how both company's have managed to keep so much secret for so long, especially considering their past records.

19. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

According to Dave it might be less since ATI have been doing revisions for the R500 (XBox2 chip). In the end the R520 revisions seem to be less.

US

20. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

You might want to rather look at the fillrate to bandwidth relation between R420 and NV40 first.

I don't know what you mean by process advantage or next generation exactly.

From all indications R520 will be on low-k 90nm and a SM3.0 chip. No idea how that would fit into the picture you're trying to illustrate here.

Any similarities quoted between R520/R4xx/R3xx this far are rather in the department of the units being still separated. Xenon/R500 seems to be a unified shader architecture with SM3.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.