R520 Infomania

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by russo121, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russo121

Regular

2. wireframe

Veteran

Who wouldn't want "this baby"? Heh. Can't wait to get my paws on one. I really like the bit about 10-bit per channel. Basics like these can go a long way. The sooner they launch it the better. :D

3. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Yowza, $600-700? I imagine that is a combination of 512mb and SLI's proof of the market that is willing to spend in that range (and higher).

I'll be very interested to see how next gen compares to this gen-SLI'ed, and what if anything that does to the SLI market going forward. Tho this gen of SLI got a bit of a late start compared to the cards that are running it.

I guess what I'm saying is that at least some loud mouths will finally have the cold water dashed in their face of having a $5-600 card kick their ass all over the lot with better compatibility when they paid $1k or more for their SLI setup just a couple months before. That's not entirely fair to SLI for a few reasons, including the timing issue of SLI coming in much later than original release of the cards. I'm just saying those folks will be out there squawking and it will be interesting to see if they affect the market or not going forward. I think 'not', or 'not much for not long', but we'll see.

4. wireframe

Veteran

Doesn't sound that bad at all as long as that is the actual street price and not $700 + 30%. People paid that for the current top cards and I was very close to that for mine.

5. IbaneZ

Regular

So this time we'll get the EXTREME pipes then. :)
    24x1.3=oh baby!

I dunno folks, i think it sounds a little too good to be true. But i'm gonna be the first in line to buy one anyway. I'll be happy if it's faster than a 600/595 MHz X800 XT PE. :lol:

6. loekf2

Newcomer

Yikes..... and:

"The most important architectural change is support for WGF 1.0 (Windows Graphics Foundation). This is the successor to DirectX9, often called DirectX Next. WGF will be included as standard in Microsoft Longhorn.
    WGF offers new exciting features for game developers like "unlimited" shader length, Geometry Shaders, Much lower overhead than DirectX9 and many more."

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that WGF 1.0 = unified shader models, or is Microsoft saving this for Longhorn 2.0... released in let's say 2025.

I thought we all agreed here that R520 is yet another spin of the R3xx (m)architecture.

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Yup, but that doesn't mean that we were all correct. ;)

8. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

I find this hard to believe.... but, if true....... May need to take out home equity loan......

9. digitalwanderer

Legend

It definately would be incentive for me to build meself a PCIe system at least! :?

10. Kombatant

Regular

Since when does one invalidate the other? :?:

11. Xmas

Xmas Porous
    Veteran Subscriber

WGF 1.0 = DirectX Graphics 9 for Longhorn basically, WGF 2.0 is the new stuff. So R520 won't be beyond DirectX9.0c.

12. Goragoth

Regular

According to the article the ATi SLI won't be limited to 2 cards. I just have to wonder if there will be some crazy Alienware box with 4 of these babies in it. Now that would be certifiably insane :shock:
    Just one of these would be quite nice though... no I think it would be very nice actually :) I guess we'll see how things shape up pretty soon but I know a lot of people here have been saying that there is no way we'll see a 2x speed jump in this next generation. It would be nice to see them proven wrong (I doubt they'll mind :wink: ).

13. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

On the face of things there are going to be some disappointments.

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

And can ya imagine the pricetag on that sucker and how nice a monitor you would need to utilize even a fraction of that power?!?!? :shock:

15. Ostsol

Veteran

Regarding the R520 or ATI's multiple video-card solution?

(I'd rather not use SLI as the all-encompassing term.)

16. russo121

Regular

Imagine that 1 r520 will be faster than nvidia sli setup and (I hope) less expensive than 2 nvidia cards. Now imagine the same thing in an AMR setup.... it will blow any biggest score in the planet. 8)

Disappointments to people that bought sli nvidia cards, or, people speculating too much here?

17. Ostsol

Veteran

Now imagine NVidia's inevitable reply. :wink:

18. digitalwanderer

Legend

From my years of Davespeak study I'd have to say he was implying that we were all getting our hopes up just a wee bit much and that if we continued to do so we would be disapointed in the final product.

Also, whenever I hear the term "extrememe pipelines" now or any variation on that theme I just have this humongoid bullshit alarm that goes off.... [​IMG]

19. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Indeed. Wrongly speculated at that.

20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Couple questions:

1. Does anybody know what changes were made to reduce the DirectX overhead?

2. Why is ATI's tiling approach more efficient than the straight screen split method Nvidia is using?

Would be nice to see what two X900XL do in AMR,MVP or whatever. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.