R520 info thread #(9!)^9

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by Geeforcer, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

Geo likes this.
  2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Okay, so where's Jawed to perform his Snoopy dance over that diagram? :lol: I make it Sig Score of 2 out of 3? Everybody agree? Pretty good in my book.

C'mon, buddy, take a bow so we can goose your rep. :grin:

#2 Geo, Sep 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  3. ClyssaN

Newcomer

nice :)

The other thread should be closed ... to big

4. Razor1

Veteran

LOL

5. BrynS

Regular

Yeah, I was just going to say that Jawed new scheduler theory seems to be on the money - "Ultra-threading Dispatch Processor"

6. ZioniX

Newcomer

7. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

What an astonishingly boring architecture *shrugs*
    What saddens me most is that the G80 is going to be just as boring last I heard. Oh well.

Uttar
    EDIT: What Fudo says for the VS can also be said, word for word, for the G70 VS. This is surprisingly lacking any details regarding vertex texturing...
    I also kind of doubt this diagram is accurate when it comes to the texture cache, but hey, I'd hate to be proved wrong about that one (and nvidiots would love me to be).

#7 Arun, Sep 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  8. dizietsma

Banned

Fuad manages to slaughter the info coming out of Ibiza ...... he's obviously got some guy taking snaps from his phone and texting him snippets :)

9. CMAN

Regular

From a level of 1-10 (with 1 being my mother and 10 being an engineer at ATI), what do you guys seriously think Fuad's understanding level about how graphics cards work is?

Also, I hope they have availability before November for most of their cards. If the X1600's do not come out until after Thanksgiving, then I would suspect their Christmas season will be disappointing.

10. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

:shock: Compared to this? http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/r420_x800/index.php?p=5

What is your baseline against which this new one is "boring"?

11. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I say -5 (negative five), putting him somewhere around the level of being your grandmother's pet gerbil.

12. Demirug

Veteran

Uttar, I don't see any texture unit for the vertexshader at all. nVidia show them and ATI know this.

I don't want to call this a boring architecture. At least is it different and this give me something more to write about. G70 is boring as it is nearly the same as NV4X.

13. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Hasn't there been a hint or two around here that this is some kind of hack in R5xx that will allow them to claim compatibility without actually providing dedicated hardware to do it? I thot I saw something that sniffed in that direction. . .

14. Razor1

Veteran

If the ring bus is what we think it is the data from a pixel shader can go to the vertex shader with out much latency at all.

15. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Noooooo ! G70 has the best architecture ever

:lol:

16. Demirug

Veteran

There are other ways to do vertex textuering without textureunits in the vertex shader. NV3X supports this. Look for something called "render to vertexbuffer"

17. Razor1

Veteran

ah yes true

18. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Demirug: Yeah, I realized that about the VS. I was just criticizing Fudo's VS writeup, he could have done a better job at it considering the info he had.
    Anyhow, I'm not disagreeing. Architecture-wise, it's less boring than G70 was. Problem is, there's nothing that's really interesting in it. Take the NV40 for example, when it was introduced it brought a lot of ideas to the table: partial MIMD in the PS, L1/L2 texture caches, Vertex Shader Threading to optimize Texturing (*cough* *cough*), free Normalize instruction, and tons of other stuff.

I'm not saying it isn't a potentially good architecture. But I think it isn't worth a zillionth of the hype it has gotten. If anything, it feels more like a R400 derivative to me (note: I said R400, not R420, there's a huge difference here). I'm also under the impression the R520 team has a bunch of the ex-R400 engineers, but I'd love a confirmation on that. And no, I don't believe the R400 had true unified shaders ala R500.

Perhaps I was expecting a bit too many interesting things from this part. Blame the hypers. Honestly, all of these features have been discussed on this forum for nearly 3 years now (R400, once again), with the potential exception of the ringbus (seems like a logical extension of Hybrid Texturing though).

The ONLY two nice things in the R520 seem to be more feature-full Vertex Texturing (I kind of wonder whether it'll be faster than G70 when not using filtering, too) and cheaper Pixel Shader dynamic branching. The G70 Vertex Shader's dynamic branching is also threading-optimized.

Then there's FSAA and AF. I can only hope for a nice surprise there, heh. Call me old-fashioned, call me bitchy, but I'm just not surprised by that architecture. Hopefully the featureset and the performance will impress me more...

Uttar

19. dizietsma

Banned

Can someone with a bigger brain than me explain further on the vertex shading issue. Previously the main focus seems to have been on pixel shading power but this seems to indicate they have massively beefed up the vertex shading.

Why ?

20. Demirug

Veteran

Uttar, yes it looks a little bit like a R400 design. But as it was never used in a chip they sell it will be new for most of my readers.

Vertex textureing. I am suspect that most games will use FP32 textures for this as nVidia support nothing else. In this case a filter is not a option anyway. The main question will be witch buffer they use to feedback the textureresults in the vertexshader. An internal or the local videoram?

The second question that will say use something about the performace is the size of the register array.