R420 to be faster than the 9800XT !!!

Joe DeFuria said:
Here's the scoop!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14397

Inq said:
[R420] Cards will be equipped with 256MB or DDR 1 memory 8x32 chips. The memory bus is going to be 256 bits wide, as with the R300, R350, 360 marchitecture. I expect that cards will outperform Radeon 9800XT if the chips are clocked properly.

WOW!!! What breaking news!! :oops:

disbalief.gif
Huh?

ATI is famous for faster clocked memory able to match the performance of higher clocked memory cards.

Hmm...

It's fun to poke fun at people who's native launguage isn't English. My Bosnian is great... :D

OMG!!! THEY'VE DONE IT!!!!

And here I thought no one would ever bump the 9800XT off the top spot! :oops:

I gotta go put this on my front-page right away! Thanks Joe!

I think it means they are famous for matching the performance of cards with higher clocked memory.

To be a bit more serious though...I think what the Inq is trying to say, is that there will be two versions of the R420 cards. (A pro and non-pro, I presume). And that they expect the non-pro will be faster than the 9800 XT.

Still, not all that earth shattering...it was no different with the R2xx to R3xx transistion.

MuFu said:
I think it means they are famous for matching the performance of cards with higher clocked memory.

I would certainly agree with that statement...it's just that what they wrote makes no sense. ;)

Sorry if I'm poking fun at someone's bad english, but that story just makes damn near NO sense at all on the first few read-thrus! :LOL:

Joe DeFuria said:
To be a bit more serious though...I think what the Inq is trying to say, is that there will be two versions of the R420 cards. (A pro and non-pro, I presume). And that they expect the non-pro will be faster than the 9800 XT.

Still, not all that earth shattering...it was no different with the R2xx to R3xx transistion.

yes it appears that this is what they were implying, so slower/cheaper version of R420 faster than R360.

btw Fuad is a Bosnian, living in Austria AFAIK, but I am pretty certain that he does not live in an english speaking country.

MuFu said:
ATI is famous for faster clocked memory able to match the performance of higher clocked memory cards.

Hmm...

It's fun to poke fun at people who's native launguage isn't English. My Bosnian is great... :D

OFF
Yep... when I get similar pokes regarding my English (I'm a dirty immigrant :p), I always ask "English is my 2nd foreign language - how many foreign languages do you speak, my friend?" :p
Guess what's the regular answer... ;)

Hmm,interesting news,I'm glad to hear that R420 will have support for the next DirectX SDK release, although my current 9700p works pretty fine with the summer update 2004 beta also. :LOL:

Based on current information, I'd expect even a non-pro version to outperform a 9800XT.

is listening to "The Doors - Riders on the Storm" :D

Druga Runda said:
yes it appears that this is what they were implying, so slower/cheaper version of R420 faster than R360.

Could also be implying that R420 is faster clock-for-clock than R360, and not just planning on clock speeds to increase performance.

That said, it also seems as if he was just posting his random guestimates, so why does anyone really care?

Clashman said:
That said, it also seems as if he was just posting his random guestimates, so why does anyone really care?
Because it's a good excuse to put off cleaning my house for a little while longer. 8)

T2k said:
MuFu said:

Hmm...

OFF
Yep... when I get similar pokes regarding my English (I'm a dirty immigrant :p), I always ask "English is my 2nd foreign language - how many foreign languages do you speak, my friend?" :p
Guess what's the regular answer... ;)

well at least you arn't trying to report on a major new site useing a language which you have a very weak grasp of.

When I saw this thread title, I thought it was some kind of joke. Then I realized it was in the 3D Technology and Hardware forum. Then I looked at the source URL and my opinion didn't change :LOL:

[Serious]Not exactly a ground breaking rumor. Is this really what classifies as "news" these days?[/Serious]

CapsLock made a good point over at nV News...

"Skateboard" is the code name that these Canadian fellows have for this card, just wait and see what name it uses for R423 GDDR3. It will be related to snow as well, unless ATI has one of its famous meetings and decides to change the code name at the last minute. µ

?!

Very odd. He may have unintentionally let slip that he thinks the codename is "snowboard". I sure hope these aren't references to PCB size. Personally I think somebody's been smoking a bit too much "electric parsley".

MuFu.

Back