R420 Shows up at IDF

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

With both ATI and NVIDIA being "Gold Sponsors" of Intel’s Devloper Forum, naturally both were wanting to express their interest in the new PCI-Express bus format, given that it is also going to have potentially big effects for graphics processors in the future. Prior to the conference NVIDIA had indicated that they would be announcing their PCI-Express line up and much of the press followed than and covered what has amounted to an announcement of their current parts with their PCI-Express bridge chip on the board.

In a curious bit of planning on Intel’s part, ATI’s keynote speech was scheduled at the same time and while they hadn’t pre-announced anything in the way of product announcements it transpires that there was some element of interest there. As with NVIDIA, naturally much of their speech was to do with PCI-Express and detailing the virtues of their native solution. Unfortunately their PCI-Express HDTV video editing demo didn’t quite go as planned due to a hardware error - evidently a fan in the system had stopped working which caused some over heating issues.

However of more interest was that it appears that ATI’s future high end part R420 made a small appearance. According to Tweakers.net, in a short part discussing the GDDR-3 graphics memory, which currently has speeds in the range of 500 - 700MHz (1 - 1.4GHz effective) ATI demonstrated a demo of the upcoming, DirectX9 heavy title, Colin McRae Rally 4 on R420, which was quoted as running at 2 - 3 time faster than present DirectX9 capable hardware. We contacted ATI to verify if this was R420 and they stated that they had demonstrated the title running on their future "Next Generation Hardware" which is as good an confirmation of this being R420 as you can get.

2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Maybe it was an r500 or the xbox2 derivative. :D

3. Anonymous

Veteran

4. Natoma

Veteran

Let the games begin. Anyone want a 9800 Pro guaranteed to clock to 420Mhz/380Mhz? :D

5. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Sweet... I'm burning to buy some new kit... I'd like to have a PCIe-16 42x to go along with a new mb and cpu. I can only hope that they'll make ATX-based PCI Express motherboards.

I dont suppose there's any footage of the presentation?

6. Wunderchu

Regular

IMO it doesn't look that bad..;

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/colinmcraerally04/screens.html?page=23

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/colinmcraerally04/screens.html?page=16

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/colinmcraerally04/screens.html?page=12

7. {Sniping}Waste

Regular

Looks like ATI has a winner. Finaly ATI is going to use GDDR3 and Micron has faster that 800mhz now.

8. Anonymous

Veteran

the cars always looked good in CMR but the enviroment looks not really "next gen" to me.

i mean
    I would say there is not much difference to CMR3 maybe some more Polygons but i just not see the heavy shaders in the pictures. Perhaps they had a special version.

9. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

So you think it doesn't look great, objections noted. Screenshots don't tell everything.

10. Anonymous

Veteran

sure though i've seen the preview version running . My impression doesn't come from the screenshoots alone

11. Megadrive1988

Veteran

awesome.,

cannot wait to learn more about the R420, and how it compares to NV40.

12. lost

Newcomer

So let me guess, they doubled the pixel shaders, made them compliant with shader model 3.0, and optimized them for some further performance gains....All netting a 2-3 times performance gain over the R360. Don't forget, the vertex shaders are from the original R400 product (2x faster than R3xx series perhaps?).

* thinks that nVidia needs a miracle to catch up in shader performance *

13. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I have a feeling that if NV40 comes up wanting, there is plenty of magic pixie dust wafting through the halls of Nvidia's driver department.

Just remember, every time a unified compiler recognizes an application, an angel tears off its wings and converts to satanism.

:twisted:

--edit:

But seriously: I'm really hoping there's some kind of refresh in the benchmarking scene very soon, especially with regards to the highly vulnerable development methodology being employed by some involved parties.

14. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Anyone want to buy my 9700 pro haha . Guess I need a whole new system .

15. DemoCoder

Veteran

Somehow I doubt an across-the-board 2-3x speedup. I bet they doubled up on the FP units and boosted clock speed. In some games, this may yield a 2x or more speedup, but don't expect it to be "across the board", as it would only apply to games that heavily abuse shaders, and there are few games that do this today.

The NV3x suffers their biggest loss compared to the R3xx because of register usage. For example, in shaders that use lots of temporaries, like RightMark, the 5950 performance drops to 1/2 of the 9800. Of course, using more than 4 temporaries will drop the performance by half. If the NV40 fixed register usage issue and doubled up the FP units, or pipelines, they might be competitive.

Honestly, it's not performance I think will be the NV40's problem, it's featureset. The NV30 simply lacks alot of DX9 features (e.g. MRT, lots of FP texture formats, etc), plus crappy AA. The NV40 could whip the R420's ass in shaders, but most of the people on this board wouldn't buy it if it had the same old AA.

16. Killer-Kris

Regular

Launch date?

This just makes me wonder how close they are to launch and/or shipping...

Does ATI typically launch on Mondays much like most everyone else? Now, I remember reading somewhere that R420 was expected to be launched at the end of February. If so, shouldn't we be expecting this in the next week or two? :)

17. Sazar

Newcomer

seems likely these tech boards will explode with activity soon as one or the other or both the cards drop :D

there is a lot pent-up anticipation...

looking forward... let us know when dave 8)

18. DerekBaker

Newcomer

I thought that the launch was going to be at Cebit, which starts on 18 March.

Though AFAIK that's not official. Anyone now how far in advance they fix dates for events?

Derek

19. elroy

Regular

That's the consensus atm. I guess this the beginning of their hype campaign, so to speak. Interesting that they showed this exactly 1 month before the start of Cebit. Coincidence? I think not. 8)

20. gkar1

Regular

This was also said of R300.