Quicktime and IE

thop

Great Member
Veteran
How to i tell IE to give me a download prompt whenever i click on a .mov file instead of opening in the browser? It used to work like that, doesn't anymore since i installed SP2.

Go to the file associations window and delete the default (probably "open") action for the relevant file suffix, or just delete the entry entirely. Or you could right-click the download link and choose 'save as' or whatever it's called in your browser of choice. :)

Nope didn't work, spent two hours trying to figure it out now. Ah well not a big deal anyway.

Thanks i tried that, but unfortunately that only stops embedded movies from playing automatically (which i want), and still doesn't make IE show a prompt when i click a link.

thop said:
Thanks i tried that, but unfortunately that only stops embedded movies from playing automatically (which i want), and still doesn't make IE show a prompt when i click a link.
Ah, I misunderstood then. Have you tried re-installing Quicktime? If file associations are broken, that could fix it.

Diplo said:
Why worry, Thop? Just be comforable with the way IE works and realise it knows best :)
And contemplating otherwise will bring a visit from the thought police.

Diplo said:
Why worry, Thop? Just be comforable with the way IE works and realise it knows best :)
Because i know it can be done! :D It used to work until i installed SP2.

Back