Quick reply please - PCIe PSU 20/24pins question !

rainz

Veteran
Is it true that i can plug my 20pins PSU on the 24pins on the board w/o any problems .. ?!

Thanks

RainZ

Just tried directly with the 20pins connector on the 24pins .. Saw tons of posts on the net about that.. nothing smell strange, so nothing is fried i guess .. When i push the Power switch all the fans are spinning and when i release the button ... everything turns off ... So i can see the computer "alive" only when i press the Power switch .. Maybe i could test while holding the power switch down ... but i'm sure it's a bad idea .. So what's wrong .. my Antec PSU 430watts TruePower isnt good enough for my comp ?! Or do i really need the 20>24pins adaptor .. i dont get it.. Someone ?

Thanks

RainZ

Even holding the power switch the system automaticly shutdown after like 2 seconds. I might need the 20>24pins connector maybe.

RainZ

I've seem a fair amount of comments regarding 24 pin boards not liking 20 pin PSU's being connected to them. I would buy the adapter first, before spending anything more though. :|

Most mainstream, non-server boards with 24-pin should accept a 20-pin connector as long as the PSU has ample amperage (pun intended?) on the 12v rail.

There are some EPS PSU's that are both 24-pin and 20-pin. AGI has a nice line of them.

agiu400xpf22sw.jpg

Already tried to reverse the power switch connector .. who knows.. first thing i did .. and almost unplugged everything too 2nd thing i tested .. i build my own comps + friend's comp since 12 years not my first time.. 2 things it might be i think ... faulty mobo .. ( one corner of the box is damaged .. like if the box has fallen on the ground or something ... so i'll not be so surprised if it's the case ) or .. my PSU is messing up .. Just tested w/o the video card .. And if my problem was a power issue .. w/o the video card there's no power issue .. and i should receive beeping codes or any sign of vitality from the board ... same thing ... press the power switch ... the cpu + northbridge fans turns for 2 seconds and boom the system turns off !
Even if i unplugged everything.. and i mean everything ... no HDDs, CDroms, DVDroms, floppy, video card ... there's no sign of vitality from the board excepted the cpu+northbridge fans moving for 2 seconds and nothing else ! RMA time ?!

RainZ

martrox said:
Guys...don't risk your MB's for $6.00. Here are some links to 20 pin to 24 pin adapters....I'm using 3 of these ATM, work great!

http://www.amamax.com/in20pinto24p1.html
http://www.htcnetstore.com/cb20to24.html
http://www.censuspc.com/cart/product.php?productid=543

I checked tons of posts about that on the net ... and even the ANTEC's website is telling us that there is no risk. If you can plug your 20pins in the 24 pins and it snap ... there's only one way to plug the connector btw.. that's mean you're ok.

RainZ

I had major problems with my nForce 4 boards reading low voltages....especially on the +3.3 & +12 lines, on multiple PS's. adding one of the adapters took care of all of that......

My Power supply is strong enough to support my motherboard w/o anythings plugged into it.. I unplugged everything .. even the video card .. always the same 2 seconds and boom it's off .. and btw it's already RMA'd .. and i had already bought a shipping insurance for the mobo.. RMA Express 30 days .. Should be quick.. maybe 2 weeks total i guess.

RainZ

It could be a bad motherboard, but having that adapter, may provide juice to area's of your board that aren't getting enough. I haven't actually bothered to look much further into why/where the extra pins are sending their extra energy luv, but I would be inclined to think it's a power issue and not a board issue. I just read a review of an Nforce 4 board and they even stated in the article that the motherboard requires a 24 pin PSU.

"There are a couple things of note. Notice that the power supply is specified to be 24-pin ATX connector and NOT a regular 20 pin. Some boards are engineered to accept either or but since the Chaintech specifically mentions 24-pin that is what we ended up doing our testing with so prospective buyers who are not committed to buying a power supply along with a new board may want to note this."

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/vnf4ultra/2.html

martrox said:
BTW....that's MY motherboard........ :D

Hehe, I've been looking @ that one for myself actually. Once ATI & Nvidia come out with some new video cards I might take the plunge. What's your $.02 on it so far?

If your power supply has the ATX12V extra 4 pin connector just plug it into the remaining 4 pins. That's all the difference is. Some P4 boards won't power on if you don't have the extra 4 pins plugged in, so this is probably the same thing.

My Chaintech nF4 mb has the 24 pin ANd the 4 pin, so that's not an option. As far as how good is the board, well, I'm not completely sold on it. While it was cheap, and does work well, I'm not getting a great O/C with it. My 3000+ can only get to 2.25 at 1.42 volts. At stock speed, the processor is undervolted at 1.38v, at anything above that till 1.55v it doesn't change. at 1.6v it jumps to 1.58v. I really don't want to run it that high. Also, the memory voltage is is low, the best I can get is 2.72-2.78 (it bounces) when set to 2.9(max). Now, this could be that the voltages arn't accurate(using MBM) and/or my processor just isn't that great a O/C'er. I'm going to try a DFI at some point in the future...... I think it may be worth the extra $30-40.

Back