Quick question about Outlook Express

Reilly311

Newcomer
Hi, I want to reformat my computer. Now, the e-mails and my address book wont be deleted as they are on the server I connect to correct? They arent on my hard drive? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I tried looking it up first before I posted buy no luck...

True they are on your HD .. Before you read them they are downloaded from your mail server. So if you want to keep them .. Save them somewhere else.

RainZ

Whether your emails are still on the server depends if you have checked the option to leave them on the server. If you haven't, then they won't be, which is the most likely case. Even if they are still on the server it would mean you would have to download them all again to view them, which could be very lengthy. You address book is definitely only on your local machine.

To find out where your email are stored by OE do this :

Go to Tools > Options > and click the Maintenance Tab
Click the Store Folder button
Copy the path it shows you and paste it into Explorer (file browser)
That's where all your messages are.

For address book, search your computer for *.wad files.

Dude, you e-mail IS on your hard-drive! :oops:

Do some research on "backing up" before you reformat and then make sure you've backed up everything you want to keep!

I still have troubles doing that, I have horribly disorganized HDs on my PC and with all the partitioning I've done I got C-L drives on my pc with everything scattered everywhere! :rolleyes:

I've been trying to back-up so I can do a re-install also, I've been working on it for about a month and I figure in another month or so I'll feel safe enough to actually wipe 'em clean and start over.

HINT: After you're absolutely positive you saved everything you need, wait a few days before wiping it to give yourself a chance to remember anything else you've forgotten....you'll damn near always forget something. (Well, at least I always seem to. :oops: )

Don't forget to dig out your "Favorites" list from IE either, it's easy to back-up but a real nutcrusher to lose.

Back