quick answer about memory stick.

I got the Sony cheaper, but some other test ive seen in magazines paints a very different picture. Very strange actually. Esp the Son vs Sony High speed.

It is a bit odd, but I don't think the PSP is really High Speed enabled so the High Speed Sony Part is throttled on the PSP, if a review was done with proper high speed compatibale readers they would probably perform better.

That doesn't really explain why the Sandisk sticks perform so well on the test I linked to though.

bobthebub said:
It is a bit odd, but I don't think the PSP is really High Speed enabled so the High Speed Sony Part is throttled on the PSP, if a review was done with proper high speed compatibale readers they would probably perform better.

That doesn't really explain why the Sandisk sticks perform so well on the test I linked to though.

You probably got a point with PSP adjusting something cause its really much more important in other devices. Btw whats the differene between Sony "regular" and the costly high speed, i heard about security and so on with lost data etz.
Maybe you know more? All three of them uses MagicGate i think so in that regard there should be any difference i think. But i read as i said abou no more lost data on the high speed Sony sticks so that maybe something that explains the difference in price.

Sorry,

I don't know in enough detail, I think that various varieties of Memory Stick use different combinations of voltages/parallel/serial transfer etc, High Speed is just the best (most expensive) available but you only get the benefit with high speed enabled devices.

overclocked said:
You probably got a point with PSP adjusting something cause its really much more important in other devices. Btw whats the differene between Sony "regular" and the costly high speed, i heard about security and so on with lost data etz.
Maybe you know more? All three of them uses MagicGate i think so in that regard there should be any difference i think. But i read as i said abou no more lost data on the high speed Sony sticks so that maybe something that explains the difference in price.

Some things require higher speeds.

For example: My camera requires a high speed memstick to take its "Fine mode" video (30fps/640x480), otherwise it can only do about ~15 fps video. In most cases I imagine the speed doesn't matter, but there are a few cases where you would actually need it (otherwise I think its just for convenience of having a faster read/write while getting things off the stick).

Theres extreme large price difference on this mem stick as i saw many stores taking 300Euros+ for it and the swedish Sony site around 350Euro(incl tax), strange.

overclocked said:
Theres extreme large price difference on this mem stick as i saw many stores taking 300Euros+ for it and the swedish Sony site around 350Euro(incl tax), strange.

Yes, the 2GB High Speed Pro Duos are obscenely expensive. For the price of one High Speed Pro Duo I could get three 1GB ones, and almost three non High-Speed 2GB ones.

Back