questions about the mobile graphic chips market, especialy regarding ati/nvidia

booomups

Newcomer
until yesterday i didnt even know about nvidia having a mobile sector, and today, after looking some time, this is the first time i read about ati also having some products.

Now i can tick of the mobile segment as a possible influence in the big difference of their stock market valuation. (about 40 percent in favour of nvidia)

Is there a big difference in the mobile segment between nvidia and amd (edit: not amd... ati ofcourse :( )?
How good are the smaller companys keeping up with the offerings of the big two?
Would it be a big investment to get succesfully into the mobile graphic chips market?

(I see Bitboys and some others i remember having been doing graphics for quite some time, some of them were once even trying to get up on par with nvidia, but we know how that didnt come true.)

Any guess on the possibillity of someone getting succesfull in the mobil market and thus having a technical and financial chance at the cream on the top from ati/nvidia?

Thank you all in advance for some helpfull oppinions.
ps: please dont condemn me for trying to get some value Stock ;-)

booomups said:
How good are the smaller companys keeping up with the offerings of the big two?
Any guess on the possibillity of someone getting succesfull in the mobil market and thus having a technical and financial chance at the cream on the top from ati/nvidia?
By "mobile", do you mean laptop or handheld and embedded? I'll assume the latter considering the forum in which you posted.

In which case, I suggest PowerVR has a clear lead over both ATi and NVidia. MBX (fixed function) is in a number of available consumer products, perhaps most notably Texas Instruments OMAP2 based items; and the recently announced SGX (programmable) has a feature set comparable to current high-end PC parts.

This market is is where PowerVR's tile based deferred rendering approach has its largest advantage (i.e. efficiency) and where its IP licencing business model is best suited (the same model as ARM, SuperH).

booomups said:
ps: please dont condemn me for trying to get some value Stock ;-)
NVIDIA stock today, before the results are announced in 5 hours. Bit late to get in, but not too late either ;)

Uttar
Note: I take no financial responsability for this statement, and deny all responsability.

The expense to compete in the handheld graphics market is still low enough for smaller contenders, so ATi and nVidia compete alongside the likes of Imagination Technologies, Falanx, Bitboys, TAKUMI, SMedia and the in-house/proprietary solutions of major semiconductor manufacturers like Toshiba and Renesas.

A large portion of the market is currently ATi's, and nVidia has secured some very successful lines of phones, too. The market's advance to 3D has brought in some strong competition from the smaller contenders, though, as Imagination Technologies has been adopted into many of the application processors planned for new devices.

thank you all, so.. this sector doesnt seem to be a big difference between ati and nvidia either.

most of all since yet none of them even leads the market.

to Utar: nice guess, but bad luck i was gone for some days. I hope you "won" alot.

to me this signifies that ati will be able to present some good quarter results too, because their 1800/1900 lines shouldnt have sold so bad. but they most likely didnt have as many "double" sells as nvidia, people trust their sli some more.

hmm.. can you give me some tips regarding good places for Stockmarket and Resultsrelease discussions? mostly regarding hardware, but not limited to that.

just if you have some favorites ;-)

thanks aj....

even my cellphone has one in it.
tough i dont really like the low standby time and there are no 3d graphics to see on my motorla v500

but at least they are in the market.

and when i compare the number of people working for ati vs. the people employed by nvidia, it seems ati is giving more resources to development, hopefully. (finance.yahoo.com)

Back