Question about merry old England (job stuff)

Graham

Hello :-)
Veteran
Supporter
The other day I applied for a job in ye old England.

Being in New Zealand, part of the commonwealth still, we get a few benefits. One, because my mother and her parents have UK citizenship, I can apply for a 'UK Ancestry' visit, which basically allows me to live and work in the country for 5 years, without the need for a work permit/work visa.
At the end of this 5 years, I can apparently reapply, or simply apply for citizenship. This is my understanding, the British high commission website is rather confusing). This would take between 2 and 4 weeks according to the BHC site. I don't even need a job offer to get it (although it's much harder without)

So my understanding is that I can completely take care of the getting the right to work, freeing up the burdon on any potential employer.

The job in question mentioned that non-EU applicants must have a degree (check) and can expect a very lengthy permit application process (not in my case?).

I sent an expression of interest in the job, and the reply I got was pretty much:

"as you are based in new zealand you do not fit the requirements for the position available, as you would require a permit and this is a lengthy process for us"

Also with mention of their recruitment company.

Is there something I am missing (on the UK end) or maybe they just didn't read the full email (which mentioned the above).?

Sigh. I admit this is the first time I've applied for something like this, so I'm somewhat confused (and stressed) about the whole thing.
The last thing I want to do is send back a 'correction' only to find that there really is a problem. It would also be very hard to not sound demanding/condescending/etc.

Anyway. Thanks to anyone who can help clear this up. I'll probably call the BHC tonight I think.

To be honest I'm actually a bit lost.

If anyone has any suggestions of how to go about looking for an appropriate job I'd appreciate it.

The other day I applied for a job in ye old England.

Being in New Zealand, part of the commonwealth still, we get a few benefits. One, because my mother and her parents have UK citizenship, I can apply for a 'UK Ancestry' visit, which basically allows me to live and work in the country for 5 years, without the need for a work permit/work visa.
At the end of this 5 years, I can apparently reapply, or simply apply for citizenship. This is my understanding, the British high commission website is rather confusing). This would take between 2 and 4 weeks according to the BHC site. I don't even need a job offer to get it (although it's much harder without)
5 years? They must have changed the rules as it was only 4 years when got my Visa (some years ago I must admit). Mind you, when I applied you only needed a UK grandparent so obviously they are changing the rules.

As for job agencies, which ones have you tried? Are you looking for something in the games industry. If so, you could try the ads in "edge" and cut out the middleman. It'd make you cheaper to employ :)

Ok this situation just changed *again*.

But this time for the better. Finally some good news
I had a long, expensive chat with a fella at the British high commission. Turns out a visa is not what I want, and that I actually qualify for a full British passport. So yay for me :)

mi5... hmmm :yes:

OK, this is good timing. Just got an email from 'on high' saying we are looking at expanding (some more). If I can place people, I get a very nice little placement payment.

What are your skills? ie, what area do you want to work in?

Little background could be usefull. The job is at a Hedge fund in London. Very R&D and IT geared.

Im a Kiwi, and out of the 40 odd people at this office about 20 are either from NZ, OZ or SA. We seem to fit in well ;)

Also, Im not 100% sure what kind of jobs we are looking at filling, but I can follow it up once I have some more info.

Allister

Turns out a visa is not what I want, and that I actually qualify for a full British passport. So yay for me :)

mi5... hmmm :yes:
Surely, for MI5, wouldn't you need to have been born in the UK?

Ok I've been giving this a lot of thought.
Unfortunately I don't think my mind is any clearer.

Basically, I went from having a steady (if dull) job, nice house I was boarding in (with a nice lady and a crazy dog :), and a good bit of work in Canada in a couple of months. Within a week all that fell apart, so I've been in panic mode a bit.

I'm not sure exactly what sort of programming job would fit me best. I'm still young (22) and have yet to actually get a 'real' game/graphics programming job (ie, in a big company). I've done a number of one off projects for different companies, while I was at university, etc. I'm currently working in a startup buisiness doing educational 3D software, however the work ran out a good month ago. I'm simply wasting time really.
The problem is I've never been in an environment where there were people with similar interest to me.

The projects I've done have mostly been augmented reality based. Not because I particularly like AR (most AR systems are true horrors to deal with) Just that the university lab I was working for was slightly corrupt, so the more projects using the ARToolkit, the more 'academic' licenses the owners got.
My last big project was an AR starwars exhibit for the boston museum of science, it was fun :). (picture - although thats not me in the pic)
There are other things I've done too. I have a couple of old demos here and here (~3 years old)
I've also made my fair share of hobby engines over the years. My most recent is a C# one, but I haven't worked on that for a bit - mostly because I wanted to see what happened with XNA (download).
I could add a bunch more, but they are probably enough to get an idea of what I 'do'.

So I'm not entirely sure on the games industry, I'd probably fit the work. Simply I've only known one person who got into a NZ based game company, and he was worked to death. Didn't last long at all. And I know I'm not the sort to cope very well with that. So while it would be awesome working with the best hardware, people etc, I have to be realistic too.

And thats probably half the reason I'm so confused/stressed. I really am not sure what will be the best choice right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back