Question about dual booting OS

PC-Engine

Banned
I have a dual boot system W2K and WME. Recently while using WME my browser got hijacked so that everytime I open up IE it has this stupid Cool search page. I tried going into options to change the homepage and clearing the cache but it still comes up. Eventually I started deleting stuff which made it worse. For example the registry got messed up and I couldn't boot into WME anymore except safe mode. While in safe mode I did a regscan and that go me into the regular WME mode but shortly after in that mode there's no start menu or anything just the cursor. I've tried reinstalling WME but during the install process I get an error that happens everytime at the same place. Finally I booted into WME safe mode and did a system restore to a previous restore point. This fixed it and I could boot into WME like normal now however I still have various problems which I could do without.

Ok, now for my question. If I delete WME off of my HDD and tried to install it again, will the dual boot menu function correctly? I've heard that you have to install W2K after WME/98/95 etc. on a dual boot system. Since my system is a dual boot, can I delete WME and reinstall it and have the dual boot menu still function normally? The reason why I have dual boot is for backup purposes. This is a perfect example. If my WME were to stop working I still have a working W2K OS to use as backup. Both OS are on the C: drive.

I guess it'll be ok to back up my important files and delete WME while leaving W2K intact then reinstall WME again?

I did that too. I had the OSs on seperate partitions though. For the boot menu there is no threat because WinME won't touch it.

I guess I'll go ahead and do it then. If it doesn't work I'll probably just use W2K and hope that doesn't get hijacked. :LOL:

Anyway thanks for the advice Vadi.

You're welcome! :D

P.S.: If you have problems installing WinME turn off "virus protection" in your BIOS.

Back