Question about Developer´s..

Seeing as it takes larger and more money(in average) to make a game it would be nice to have some sort of "list" on which Gamestudios that Sony/Ms/Nintendo own or has bought.
Plese fill me in cause i´m not really updated. :oops:

OTOH:

Sony

...bought:
  • Naughty Dog (Jak and Daxter, Jak II...) - US
  • Psygnosis, now SCEE Liverpool (?) (WipEout, Formula One) - Europe
...own (internal studios):
  • Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) - Japan
  • Team Soho (The Getaway) - Europe
  • SCE Studios London (EyeToy?) - Europe
  • SCEJ (ICO) - US
  • Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper) - US
  • San Diego Studios (The Mark of Kri) - US

Oh... and here i am, thinking it was a broken question that was gonna be continued on the topic message, like "question about developer's... wealth"

or more interesting things like "question about developer's... size"...

Ok sorry i just HAD to. :D

Phil said:
OTOH:

Sony

...bought:
  • Naughty Dog (Jak and Daxter, Jak II...) - US
  • Psygnosis, now SCEE Liverpool (?) (WipEout, Formula One) - Europe
...own (internal studios):
  • Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) - Japan
  • Team Soho (The Getaway) - Europe
  • Evolution Studios (World Rally Championship) - Europe
  • SCE Studios Cambridge (R&D, Primal) - Europe
  • SCE Studios London (EyeToy?) - Europe
  • SCE(A?) (ICO) - US
  • Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper) - US
  • San Diego Studios (The Mark of Kri) - US

Not quite:

Sony Cambridge used to be Millenium (Robocod etc.) until Sony bought them during the PS1 era. Some of the founders left to form Creature Labs.

Psygnosis were bought before that, but remained a fairly seperate entity (still called Psygnosis) and still did multi-platform stuff. They expanded to quite a few studios, including 2 in London and 4 in other parts of the country. A few closed before Sony finally decided the arrangement wasn't working out and absorbed the remains back into the Sony fold. They closed all but the Liverpool studio and the Camden studio which merged with the existing Sony Soho studio to form Sony London.

Soho were originally responsible for Getaway and This is Football, whereas the Camden mob did Eyetoy, Dropship and Hardware.

I'm sure it's one big happy family now though.

Evolution aren't internal - they're just closely tied to Sony, having been set up partially by the ex-Psygnosis MD.

I don't think Sucker Punch are internal either.

ICO was done by SCEJ.

^^ Wow, thanks for correcting. Strangely, I checked ICO and accoarding to IGN, the origin was US, so I was led to believe SCEA was responsible for it. Contrary to that, I did believe it was SCEJ though (didn't find any other reference on the ICO case).

Evolution Studios is not a Sony party? Now that suprises me... after all the PR and their efforts, I was quite under the impression that they had to be more than just closely tied. Maybe it's just a matter of time... ;)

Anyway, did a few corrections to my post - but once it's a few pages back, nobody will never have noticed it was there in the first place anyway. :LOL: Once this thread is big enough, some summary would be great! :devilish:

Where was Psygnosis originally located? Too bad that name isn't used anymore, it's got a lot of history behind it.

...Too bad they also stopped making kickbutt games... Meh. In the 80/early 90s they were at their height. :)

Guden Oden said:
Where was Psygnosis originally located? Too bad that name isn't used anymore, it's got a lot of history behind it.

...Too bad they also stopped making kickbutt games... Meh. In the 80/early 90s they were at their height. :)

Psygnosis was in the UK. I'm quite sure of it...

rabidrabbit said:
It was in Liverpool, I think.

Yeah, Psygnosis kicked off in Liverpool.

During the PS1 days, they opened studios in London, Chester, Stroud, London again, and Leeds (not necessarily in that order!).

Liverpool of course is/was home to Wipeout and currently the F1 franchise, but as a publisher released things like Lemmings and Shadow of the Beast.

Chester did stuff like Sentient and Lander (before moving briefly to Manchester and then being closed).

Stroud did Overboard, G-Police, Assault Rigs etc - now closed.

Leeds did some shooter on the PS1 I can't remember - got closed down during the PS2 era without releasing anything on that...

London "2" never released anything - it lasted only a short period of time and was closed. Some of the staff got moved to the Camden studio.

Camden were around for a long time - they did stuff like Novastorm (anyone remember that? :) ) - then basically a whole bunch of fairly crap PC titles and middling (or under-rated!) PS1 stuff until they got back into stride on PS2...

There was also a Psygnosis studio in California - not sure what they did to be honest... maybe they got closed or merged into a US Sony office. I think they were near 989 (or maybe they *are* 989.. like I say, I don't know much about the US side!)

I agree it's a shame they lost the name - but it had kind of lost it's lustre in recent times, and Sony desperately needed to bolster it's own name as a developer - so I guess it made sense to just give them a kick up the backside and label everything as Sony at the same time.

Phil said:
^^ Wow, thanks for correcting. Strangely, I checked ICO and accoarding to IGN, the origin was US, so I was led to believe SCEA was responsible for it. Contrary to that, I did believe it was SCEJ though (didn't find any other reference on the ICO case).

hehe.

Here's the rap-sheet for ICO, just FYI:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,7/gameId,5158/

It says SCEI, but I think the games people are technically SCEJ... either way the names of the developers are a dead giveaway! :)

edit: The US boxart for ICO sucks!

I recall from an interview some time ago. ICO the game is done by SCEJ. But they used technology developed by SCEA. Supposedly as a token of appreciation, it was released in the US first.

Mr. Wibble or anyone in the know:

Am I correct that WipEout 2097 was developed by Psygnosis?! If yes, after being taken over by Sony, did those team members resposible for WipEout start Team Fusion (developer of WipEout Fusion) or was a different team behind it?!

WipEout Fusion was quite different to the previous one, mainly lacking art (the ships are fugly in fusion) which is why I'm asking... :?:

Phil said:
Mr. Wibble or anyone in the know:

Am I correct that WipEout 2097 was developed by Psygnosis?! If yes, after being taken over by Sony, did those team members resposible for WipEout start Team Fusion (developer of WipEout Fusion) or was a different team behind it?!

WipEout Fusion was quite different to the previous one, mainly lacking art (the ships are fugly in fusion) which is why I'm asking... :?:

All Wipeouts were developed internally by Psygnosis... All but Wipeout 3 were done by Liverpool - 3 was done at Leeds before it shut (forgot about that in my earlier post!).

I think a lot of the original team members had left before Fusion happened, but I'm not really sure - you'd have to ask someone more closely connected with Psygnosis.

I loved the first 2 Wipeouts, and liked the 3rd. Fusion was just horrible.

Back