Question about ATI HD5750 and three displays

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Nappe1, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Original Post topic was Question about ATI HD7750 and three displays :D
    So, what's the real deal here? Can I get 3 independent desktops with having 3 DVI displays (all have less than 1920x1200 resolution, so only single link tmds needed.) working if I use passive DisplayPort -> DVI adapter to third one? I know that it will work with active adapter, but 100 Euros to adapter is a bit too steep, after all you get brand new HP display with about 200 Euros here. Some say that it will work, others again that it will not.

I am still using WinXP if it really matters.

Exact setup is:
    - HD Ready 26" LCD TV using 1280x768 via DVI. (yes it has native DVI-I connector, not HDMI.)
    - 2 x 19" LCD @ 1440x1050 via DVI as well. (one of these should be driven with Display Port adapter.)

EDIT: nice, cannot write even the model number of my gfx card right anymore... does this mean I really do have a life nowadays?
    It's HD5750 for good sake!

EDIT2: thanks moderators for fixing the topic. :)

#1 Nappe1, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

3. Davros

Legend

No he's from europe the land of millionaires - as computer companies seem to think ;)

4. MrGaribaldi

Regular

Which means we order from DealExtreme.com instead.
    They have many different adapters, which you can find here. Possibly this will do the job? 10.7USD with free shipping..

Only trouble with DealExtreme is that it can take forever, subjective time, for the goods to be delivered.

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't believe any of those are active adapters?

He was wondering whether he needs an active or not, I was simply advising that active adapters are now within the realm of affordability, instead of having to find the elusive information on how exactly the different adapters work with the EyeFinity cards.

6. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Malo is correct, it needs to be active, and there are now cheaper single-link active adapters becoming available. I don't know what the availability is like generally in Europe, but they are making their way over there - OC UK now has them, for example.

7. Psycho

Regular

8. MrGaribaldi

Regular

Yeah, good point.
    I'm not sure if it is active, but the second one does says it's "powered from DisplayPort source", so I wondered if it might do the trick.

9. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

yeah, well, this thing started the snowball effect... I bought passive adapter just for the kicks of testing. HP official part and costed no more than 20 Euros, works fine. BUT, in WinXP you get only 2 of three displays enabled at once, probably due just old CCC version they are offering.

My comp isn't really top notch and I was planning using three displays just in desktop mode. NOT for the games. However, Eyeinfinity isn't supported in WinXP which I am still using. SO, why not upgrade to Win7 you say? well, I am planning to, however it would probably dislike my 1.5GB of DDR400 memory. Okay, buy some memory... DDR400 is expensive as gold nowadays, so why not change motherboard as well? sure, AM3 mobos aren't that expensive... but hey, I need to change my CPU then... hmmh... three core would do fine, though my Athlon 3800+ X2 ain't too bad for my use. As I have extra almost full comp already listed here, I might just throw in new case and PSU, as the good old 400W won't be enough for this sucker anymore.

So, with putting 20 Euros to that adapter, I ended up planning hardware upgrade worth of over 300 Euros. Luckily I do have need for another Win 7 upgrade in my laptop, so I can save some pennies by buying win 7 home premium upgrade familypack (which was just released here as Finnish version.) costing 148 Euros. Also, Lucky me, I have obiously known this day coming, as I have left 61GB of non partioned space in my latest 500GB HDD. makes things a bit easier when installing stuff again.

10. Davros

Legend

61gb free!!!
    you should be ashamed of yourself

11. I.S.T.

Veteran

Your PSU was likely fine. >_>

12. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Probably yeah, but then again by selling the old parts I get nothing from them. They are pretty much worthless what comes to reselling price, So I plan to make the old one as small server and for that I need PSU and case.

13. Tahir2

Veteran

I feel for you Nappe1, as I sold all my previous PC including the monitor but kept the awesome 700W FSP PSU that I got dirt cheap and now I have an itch... PC geeks are such silly fools I think. :smile:

Really looking to build a new system with SSD and a nice graphics card.

Dave, as a bit of role reversal, you mind sending me a nice CPU and gfx card to review? ;)

14. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

...and now I have been officially in three display mode for 3 weeks. It has been a long way since Parhelia release.

I do not even dare to calc how much that all eventually costed, but everything seems to be fine now.

15. Davros

Legend

how are you enjoying eyefinity ?

16. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Not much EyeInfinity exactly... Having 2 displays for desktop and 42" LCD tv for movies and gaming. It does help to have more desktop space plus no need to hassle with profiles to get games running on 3rd.