Qualcomm Switch Device

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices and SoCs' started by cheapchips, Mar 24, 2021.

1. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Qualcomm are exploring a Switch type device. Thick like the Switch that'll give it a thermal advantage Vs phones.

It's not really clear if this is something Qualcomm will pursue themselves or offer as a template to OEMs (as they do with phones and XR kit). Or just look at it and shelve it.

It'd be a great Gamepass device if the controllers and screen are up to snuff!

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/...-an-android-powered-nintendo-switch-knockoff/

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

The problem is the only ones making good gaming content for the ARM architecture are doing it for Nintendo exclusively.
    All that Android gets are raid shadow legends and ports of 15-20 year old PC games.

They could make the best hardware ever and it would still be useless.

3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Just need a fan and some 5nm tech and it could be a good emulation machine

emulation , ports from switch at higher quality ? Qualcom also has money so they could pay from some ports.

4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

You don't need qualcomm to make good emulation machines, nor do I think that company would invest and associate their brand to niche-market products whose legality is very questionable.

Laurent06 likes this.
  5. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

I'm sure there's a place for a device like this. We already see Android gaming phones. I assume there are people who take Android games seriously enough to purchase these expensive and ugly phones. A Switch like form factor is just the next step.

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I occasionally watch the Tech Tablets guy on Youtube testing tablets with various games that somebody must play. PUBG and some racers for example.

I feel like the ship has sailed though. Various manufacturers tried gaming tablets and they went nowhere. NVidia in particular was very determined to develop that scene.

#6 swaaye, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Its not them investing in it , but a side effect of such a device unless they find a way to lock it down completely.

I look at it this way. I have a phone but it has a finite amount of power. The battery has a finite amount of charges. Phones are not designed for gaming they heat up quickly and have almost no cooling capability which just kills the battery even soon. Add to that cases on the phone making the heat even worse. I rather invest a few hundred into a portable gaming unit. I mean the switch is $200-$300 and the AYA Neo is $700 vs shortening the length of my phone's life. I save my phones battery life in two ways + i get a device way better suited to gaming. Sure I can't always carry 2 devices on me for these purposes. But A switch sized portable device isn't a really a nuisance when i'm commuting to work since I have a messenger bag. Younger kids like my 12 year old nephew has his school bag.

Maybe but I doubt it. I think with phones increasing in price and the lack of two year contracts in the united states and other parts of the year giving you a free phone (built into the contract) is making people keep phones longer . I think the switch proves there is a place for these things. I watch ETA prime and there are lots of cool small company products but none of them are done that well. Even stuff like the AYA can be better designed