Quakecon 2006 - JC keynote

oeLangOetan

Newcomer
you can download or stream it here
http://planetquake4.net/download.php?op=fileid&lid=2336

John Carmack's annual QuakeCon keynote address. It was comparable to his down to earth speech presented last year when he focused on next generation console gaming. This year, he focused on multi-processor support in games. This video includes 1 hour and 20 minutes of Carmack's address.

discuss!!

//edit
he plans to show their next game around this time next year
this time they wanted to keep their focus on the main game development and not on adding specific little features or work towards a special event (or at least that's how I understood it)
he currently is experimenting with many ways of implementing multi threading and isn't sure what he will use - he feels this research is needed becouse none of the available techniques have proven themself to work for sure
he still believes the ps3 will be more challenging than the x360, CELL can produce very big speedups for certain algorithms (decompression) but in the end, Amdahl Law, this results in small gains (lots of work - little gians)
he commented a bit on tiling on the x360, so I guess they use it
framerate experiments: 60-120fps the difference is very small (unless you wanna do some kind of motion blur without a shader)
resolution experiments: what the next gen does is sufficient (he sais something like 2k resolutions are the max), filtering is more important, on hi-end monitors we see more pixels than our brain can "handle" - we don't notice the high-res texturing or the little effects, basicaly he believes we wast a lot of processing power & resourses on that (but it's difficult to solve this aswell)
he believes that there is enaugh room for at least 1 generation where graphics will do another leap forward, from that point on he things graphics are going to reach a point where the advancements are going to get increasingly less noticable (content gets more importance over technology)

If you feel the urge to post something like, "JC has had his time", please go away

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.planetquake4.net/article.php?sid=2180

Carmack Keynote Highlights

John Carmack's annual QuakeCon keynote address ended a few hours ago. It was comparable to his down to earth speech presented last year when he focused on next generation console gaming.

id Software will be focusing on gameplay over graphics in their next unannounced title.
id's next title will be a 3D action title that will be their biggest diversion since Wolfenstein.
A more advanced version of the megatexture technology will be used in id's next title which includes lots of outdoor areas.
id will continue to work on games that their millions of fans enjoy.
Quake3 was labeled by Carmack as the "most pure game".
While they will be developing their next game simultaneously on the XBOX 360, their primary development platform is still the PC.
Their current project will include multi-processor support in both the console and PC platforms.
Discussed the lack of progress development software has made over the years.
id is branching out in a different direction for their new title which they expect to be a blockbuster.
Discussed the fun his cell phone game development has been.
Has thought about porting cell phone games over to the Nintendo DS.
Security was on the minds of id during the development of Quake3.
The recently patched Quake3 bugs were let into the game code in a later patch, not the original game code.
Discussed the problems of releasing a game's source code while the game is still popular like they did with Quake3. Carmack polled the audience and asked if they thought he released Quake3's source code too early. Only a few raised their hands.
The current mod community is slacking because of the work it takes to make mods with such advanced games.
id wants to stick with games that people inside the company are used to developing.
id's next game has "a lot of people in it".
NVIDIA is sponsoring Carmack's Armadillo Aerospace corporation's rocket in the latest X-Prize completion.

Small question:-

Near the beginning of the speech, while talking about the advantages of multi-core in audio, he mentioned his involvement after an unnamed audio programmer who left the Quake 1 project, and another who left Doom 3. Who's he talking about?

Thanks.

Not sure about Quake1, but for Doom3 I think it was Graeme Devine.

Edit: Ok I give up, where do you blokes hide the 'delete post' button? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe it's QuakeCon again already!

Seems like it was just yesterday I was listening to Carmack rant about Next-Gen consoles.

I'm glad that Carmack is still a die hard PC developer. He certainly still is a technolgy purist and I still feel his goal is the advancment of technology and not sales.

I can't believe Quake Wars is still not out!!

id is branching out in a different direction for their new title which they expect to be a blockbuster.

I'd be interested what a "different direction" is supposed to be. I'm inclined to think it'll be another shot at DeusEx kind of stuff, but who knows...

I'd be interested what a "different direction" is supposed to be. I'm inclined to think it'll be another shot at DeusEx kind of stuff, but who knows...

QFT. My money's now on some flavour of RPG. Carmack has always loved his Dungeons & Dragons, remember...

QFT. My money's now on some flavour of RPG. Carmack has always loved his Dungeons & Dragons, remember...

Action rpg is my first guess also.

I have a very vague memory (probably from back around the time Doom 3 was first announced) of Carmack mentioning they were going to make some sort of rpg but then decided to do Doom 3 instead. :???:

I just prefer reading to watching/listening. I can go over it at my own pace, and I can easily backtrack. :)

Might be just me, but after just watching the presentation from start to finish, I found this year's keynote to be *slightly* less rapidly technically linguistic than his previous outings. You should give it a try :).

Good watch

Plenty of well thought-out opinions (or if they aren't John gives a clear disclaimer as with his opinion of the AMD / ATI merger).
I find the parallels between Carmack and Knuth quite evident. Knuth feels he has a responsibility to "humanity" to finish his TAOCP books (and he's probably right), and Carmack also mentions the he sometimes questions his priorities (i.e. there might be more benefits overall if he worked on improving software development practices / technology or research something for a few years, and then used the results for games).
Well worth watching (or just listening to the audio), there's a bit of everything. I deeply respect Carmack; he's one of few versatile geniuses.

no transcript yet? for a non native speaker JC isn't really great to listen to, plus you have to take your time to understand things, and there are people on dial-up :p

I don't complain too hard, as for the 2004 and 2005 speeches transcripts were the work of some benevolent, disinterested people.. but maybe www.quakecon.org should do the work and release the transcript :eek: !

I agree :p (obviously). For a speech this long, there should be a transcript. Discrimination :cry:

Back