Quake 4 vs. Doom 3

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by silence, Oct 27, 2005.

1. silence

Regular

OK, i exoected topic like this already, but since noone started i will.
    lets hear ya .... what do you think? pros and contras? which is better? which is more annoying? etc....

2. JBark

Newcomer

I never even finished Doom3, but I'm having a blast with Quake4. The pace is much faster, no enemies popping out of random closests, flashlight and gun at the same time (thank god), squad mates that actually help.

It also much brighter, so you can actually see without a flashlight most of the time. But it sure looks cool when all your squad mates have their lights on, and you get to see 4 different lights interacting at the same time in a room. It looks quite realistic to me. Bad guy comes through a door, all 4 lights train on him, bunch of shots, and he's gone. Very cool.

Game is still pretty linear, but it is nice to see paths open up as you complete objectives. I would like to have a few more options sometimes to complete an objective.

All in all, this game is tons better than Doom3. Doom3 looked good, but Quake4 looks good and is actually fun to play.

silence likes this.
  3. kyleb

Veteran

I had fun playing D3 and pretty much expected more of the same from Q4, but Q4 has turned out to be a lot more than I expected.

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Quake4 > Doom3

5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

A=1
    B=2
    Z=26

W*360>Q*4>D*3

:p

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Quake4 = Very good, solid, FPS shooter single-player game

Doom3 = Not so much so...

7. silence

Regular

yap, agreed.... Quake is playable..... different missions, open areas, everything that was missing in D3.

8. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

I liked the original D3 quite a bit, I thought the journals and the generally creepy mood was a great setting for tension. It was a bit too dark tho, and sometimes the inspawning enemies were annoying (though mostly because they tended to scare the hell out of me, lol). Q4 however is like people say, a superior game tho. Faster pace, brighter, generally superior in design. D3's Hell level still reigns supreme however when it comes to graphics and level design (particulary of the freaky variety). D3's Hell is simply the hellest Hell level I've ever seen, and it will take quite a bit to top it.

9. Skinner

Regular

Zwijndrecht/Rotterdam, Netherlands and Phobos
    Q4 is better, nicer and a little more varying gameplay, a(n) (little) above averidge shooter with sometimes superb gfx, 7,5 out of 10 (Far Cry is a 9 and HL2 a 8,5 ;) )

10. wireframe

Veteran

Does this all mean that those of us who enjoyed Doom 3 (I am currently replaying the expansion and absolutely loving it!) will go completely bananas over Quake 4 or does it not work like that?

11. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Generally speaking I found Q4 a more enjoyable play. I completed D3 because I was compelled to see it through, but didn't necessarily find it enjoyable. I was still complelled throughout Q4 but found the romp a much more enjoyable time. I liked the variety in some of the levels with the various vehicles etc.

12. cloudscapes

Regular

Quake 4 isn't my kidn of singleplayer game, but I guess I have fun playign it. I'm nowhere near addicted to it as I am with F.E.A.R. though. I can see myself finishing it eventually.

Doom 3 was fun for the initial WOW factor, but meh. I can't bring myself to finish it.

13. wireframe

Veteran

Did you play the expansion "Resurrection of Evil"? All the way through? I have to ask because I sometimes get the feeling that people were so put off by the original Doom 3 that they never bothered with the expansion, which, in my opinion, is much better and is what Doom 3 should have been all along. It really is quite good and the addition of an offensive artifact, instead of a passive life force restoring device, makes it much more Doomish/Quakish. There are other subtle artistic differences (improvements IMO) that also make for a more atmospheric experience.

I am picking up Quake 4 no matter what. Quake 2 was the game that sold me on hardware accelerated 3D and I am therefore bound to the franchise forever. I am just curious how much love it will get once its in the box. (trying to psyche myself up here!) :smile:

14. NRP

NRP
    Veteran

Doom 3 was prettier.

Quake 4 has much more enjoyable gameplay, but I don't like the visuals as much as D3. Too "cartoony". Q4 is fun in a straight forward kind of way.

That said, neither can hold a candle to FEAR. God, FEAR is so gorgeous and the enemies are so aggressive and ruthless. The lighting, the shadows, the particle effects, the fire . . . . phenomenal.

Seriously, all Id employees should be forced to play Far Cry, HL2, Painkiller, and FEAR to see how games should be made these days. Even if Id did in fact create the FPS genre, others are doing it much better now in my opinion.

15. SugarCoat

Veteran

I still think Prey will be the best reprisentation of the Doom 3 engine.

I just hope we dont see nothing but FPS (all the same theme) coming out with this engine.

16. ANova

Veteran

I was pleasantly surprised after going in with very low expectations. Definitely better then Doom 3 although ROE was actually pretty good. Prey looks to be much better then both though.

17. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

18. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

It says $45.00 actually right now JOHN :)lol:), I was going to impulse buy :)

#18 Sxotty, Oct 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
  19. Blade

Veteran

Nobody's mentioned the multiplayer yet. Q4 absolutely owns D3 in that category.

20. kyleb

Veteran

You reffered to John as Russ? :eek:

And I think you were looking at the regular version, the DVD version is oddly cheaper and placed on the left column.