Quake 3 on your phone

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
http://www.noctemware.com/q3ce.html

Around 5fps since it's running in software however:

The game runs slowly due to the lack of any available hardware acceleration. If you would like to see a hardware accelerated version, petition ATI to release it's handheld sdk to the public, since most of the phones out there have the ATI Imageon chip in them. This binary is built with the Hybrid Rasteroid non-commercial OpenGL ES implementation, which looks excellent, but the game pushes it a bit too hard for true playability. NVIDIA has released a hardware OpenGL-ES implementation, which should work with Q3CE, but I haven't tried it, due to a lack of a device on-hand that has an NVIDIA chip in it. If NVIDIA wanted to send me one, I'd be glad to make sure it worked for them :)

Update on the website

Website updated with some new exciting information:

Version 1.1 - Coming soon!
  • Hardware Acceleration - We will be adding direct support for a number of chipsets through OpenGL-ES. Supported plaforms for v1.1 will include the Dell Axim x50v/x51v or greater, with the Intel 2700G chipset. Much of this is possible due to the support of Imagination Technologies. Other platforms may be supported eventually, possibly through a (slower) translation to Direct3d Mobile. I'll have to get my hands on a few WM2005 devices before that can start.
  • Software Optimization - We will be converting the entire codebase over to fixed point arithmetic for faster execution on handhelds.
  • Memory Auto-tuning - The game should use as little or as much memory as you have available, with a reasoanble lower bound, and a reasonable maximum-usage percentage.
:D

C2 Doom can already play games up to the Quake 2 engine. For the more advanced games the textures will have to be repackaged to keep memory requirements in check, though. I've tried Q1 on my Nokia 6681, and people have others running.

Counter strike, for example:

Obviously the modified files can't be legally distributed, so it's a bit of a washup, even for those who own the original game. Perhaps someone can come up with an automated procedure.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noctemware's release of a 2700g version should be coming up in several days running at playable framerates.

Lazy8s said:
Noctemware's release of a 2700g version should be coming up in several days running at playable framerates.

Considering they've shown already way back in the past a MBX-Lite@66MHz (sans VGP) running Q3A (bilinear) at 30 fps vsynced, playable framerates should be given.

This version is, I believe, basically a one-person, for-the-fun-of-it, spare time, fast turnaround port of the recent as-is public PC release. I'd imagine that framerates will be nearer to twenty per second on this update, and the build is being described as mostly CPU/AI bound.

Version 1.1 with the hardware acceleration is available now at NoctemWare's site.

dead_lg.jpg

That shot does raise a couple of issues, but performance is typically at 15-20 fps for Version1.1, reportedly.

A demonstration of it recently ran in PowerVR's exhibition at the Austin Game Conference, though I haven't read any specific impressions of that showing.

While the graphics core has already proved that it can run the Quake 3 workload at 30-fps, getting that framerate on the X50v/X51v would probably require a custom build that was designed for the ARM XScale and the memory set-ups more typical of handheld systems. The Proxycon benchmark in 3DMarkMobile06, an application actually intended for handhelds, looks better anyway and runs comparably.

An OMAP2 phone would probably run even a converted Quake 3 PC port at over 30-fps.

swaaye said:
It's the crappy FPU-less CPUs I imagine.
And the 2700G in the Dell Axim doesn't have a VGP (-> Vertex shader) either. Other MBX variants do.

I am not sure what OMAP2 can do with this well done Q3A port, but the Axim is a little bit slow. ;)

crash.jpg

Ok, when I play with the game settings, I get more FPS, let me say if all details are low you get 15-20 FPS on the Axim.

Let us wait for the next version, I read 1.1b will be out in the next days.

Back