Qcore from PSN

JPT

Veteran
Supporter
Today we are announcing that Qore: Presented by the PLAYSTATION Network, a highly interactive, monthly lifestyle gaming program covering the world inside PLAYSTATION is on its way to PS3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...king-you-behind-the-curtain-with-playstation/

Sounds like it's what we get for "free" from other sites, but since there is no advertisement revenue and most likely more Sony "controlled" media outlet, it is an interesting idea. I am not familiar with XBox live, so MS might have something similar.
But Qore need to be independent enough or might just fall through as a Sony mouthpiece with no credibility.

As for the pricing, people complain about map packs for 10USD etc, so not sure they will that many subscribers.
I'll get the first episode atleast to see what it is, but they should have given away the first one for free :D But I guess this is a much a test of a business model for content on PSN.

Edit ops seems i am unable to write Core with a Q instead of C, internal spell checker override I guess :D

I think they expected people to YouTube the program. It gives free exposure to Qore.

The price is justified by "special access to game demos, special beta invitations, game add-ons and other downloadable game-related content."
Heck, if they solicit beta testers for their new motion controller from Qore users, I'd join in a heart beat.

Good thing I backed out of my make new post and refreshed the forum or else I would have made a repost :LOL:

This idea is interesting. I am curious what exact content they will show, and how they will pull this off. I hope that this isn't cheesy and that it comes off as a very informative episode but that could be wishful thinking.

As for Live, it's a bit different. You are paying for online gaming and to receive game demos one week before silver users. This is just an extra serving on what you already receive for free. I may pick up the first episode to see what it's like.

It's a good idea in theory.

I would be more interested in purchasing content from other sources though. Like for a 1UP subscription or something that lets you watch the 1UP show in full HD every week.

I listen to NPR (BBC, KQED, ...) regularly. I thought the gaming industry lacks something like "Car Talk" (http://www.cartalk.com/).

Listeners call in and post their questions to the funny but very knowledgeable show hosts. I hope they adapt the format for some parts of Qore. Getting user participation in the program also give a sense of belonging instead of the tired "video magazine" monologue. It jives with special beta invitations, Game 3.0, and perhaps helps to solve real problems. So the listeners will feel they get their money's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in for a year :)

I can't get enough of this stuff, it sounds like the evolution of the gaming magazine.

Hrm... will this be tied into things like LBP beta? Is this the beginning of subscription PSN features?

No idea about LBP beta. Qore can also be purchased per-issue. So the subscription is really just a bulk rate.

The current free stuff will still continue to flow. Read the comments section of the PS Blog. The Sony folks answered some of these concerns. It sounds like they will put in extra work to make the payment worthwhile rather than cutting back the existing free offerings to make people pay.

Hrm... will this be tied into things like LBP beta? Is this the beginning of subscription PSN features?

It is possible. Previously Sony asked if users would subscribe for downloadable games, etc. This could be a kickoff to expanding to a service as such.

Hmm... is that the Asian survey ? I think that exercise asked the users if they are willing to pay a subscription fee for full access to all the PSN games. It's a different twist.

Qore is currently based on the advertiser-subsidy model. I suspect if they can sustain the stream of advertisers, they may lower the subscription rate in the future. They can't do that right now for various reasons.

At the end of the day, it's one of the many things Sony will do to explore PSN revenue streams.

That would be it Patsu. I can view Qore expanding into more of a subscription model with varying packages users could subscribe to. Though it seems I am running wild with my my thoughts here, lol.

I landed on Veronica Belmont's site. She says:

Everyone is already fixating on the free demos, themes and betas, but it will take them until Thursday (when it goes live) to see how the video segments and behind the scenes clips are really what I think this whole thing is about.

ORLY ? Let's see the goods.

This service isn't new, but it will be the first to launch. The company doing the service for Sony is Future US, Inc.(the US subsidiary of the British Future Plc). Official Xbox Magazine(U.S) announced last August they were going to start doing the same thing under the title OXM Digital, but it got delayed and they still haven't said what the status is. It would be a pay by month service($3 per issue) and would include exclusive content outside of their disc and magazine, but would complement both. Unfortunately for them everybody initially fixated on the exclusive demos. So what happened is a lot of people(myself included) were upset they have to spend money for demos. I'm already paying for demos and videos as part of my disc subscription. So I was I upset that there would be extra content that I wouldn't get as part of my subscription. Most everybody else was upset because they don't think that demos should be paid for as they're already getting them free via Marketplace. But the thing is demos wasn't the only exclusive content that they would be getting, but nonetheless everybody fixated on the paying for demo perception.

With that said, I think the initial backlash from the Live community caused OXM to rethink their idea, but from what I can tell I don't think they stopped working on it. To me it looks Microsoft may have took their idea and based "Inside Xbox" on it. Especially considering OXM has been having their own content show up there. Good thing it's free. ;)

Anyway, magazines in the gaming business are going to be going the dodo bird and they'll need some kind of way to offer a digital experience. Qore looks to be their first foray into that. I just find it funny that it will debut first on Playstation Network, a service that has pride itself in being free. Now, if they can continue to offer exclusive content(not just demos or videos), then it might work. Otherwise, I think it will fail. They should have tied this into Playstation: The Official Magazine. Buy a magazine subscription and get the service free or vice-versa. People would have an easier time swallowing that.

Tommy McClain

They should have tied this into Playstation: The Official Magazine. Buy a magazine subscription and get the service free or vice-versa. People would have an easier time swallowing that.

True ! But if they do that, they'd be tied down by a DoDo bird business in the long run. I guess they decided to start from a clean slate. Future US, Inc can still partner with additional distribution channels where appropriate. Fundamentally, there is no technical reason to lock Qore down to PSN only. The latter may represent fertile ground to establish a base and that's it.

I just find it funny that it will debut first on Playstation Network, a service that has pride itself in being free.

I don't think the initial base is large enough for them to do it for free yet (if Sony wants to turn a profit this year). The model makes sense especially when PSN is free. It may not work if PSN has subscription fee and then they ask for some more for incremental benefits.

True ! But if they do that, they'd be tied down by a DoDo bird business in the long run. I guess they decided to start from a clean slate. Future US, Inc can still partner with additional distribution channels where appropriate. Fundamentally, there is no technical reason to lock Qore down to PSN only. The latter may be fertile ground to establish a base.

I don't think the base is large enough for them to do it for free yet (if Sony wants to turn a profit this year). The model makes sense especially when PSN is free. It may not work if PSN has subscription fee and then they ask for some more for incremental benefits.

Excellent points as always. Your last point is probably why that business model won't work on Xbox Live, but would work on PSN. I suggested to OXM that they should have made the demos(presumbly the same ones that would be on the disc version) completely free and not part of the $3/month. Just make sure that the paid for content is something completely worthy of paying for. Videos are not enough methinks.

Tommy McClain

Some more news on Qore:

Wired
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/06/qore.html

PlayStation Network senior director Susan Panico implied that while the PlayStation Store would still get game demos, the big ones would go on Qore: "Qore is like the network broadcast" of a TV show, she said, and PlayStation Store is like "syndication."

...meaning the big titles will go onto Qore to hype them up with a human face, live-action and marketing programs. It certainly beats sitting pretty on the PS Store catalog waiting for people to come. The regular demos will appear on PS Store as usual.

I wonder how they intend to release the big demoes on US PS Store, Euro PS Store and Qore. Some has suggested timed exclusive on Qore. The other way is to have exclusive goodies for Qore subscribers only even though the same demo is available for both.

The inaugural episode, set to launch on Thursday, will contain interviews and preview videos for SOCOM: Confrontation, plus an exclusive invite to the game's open beta, scheduled for later this year.

Other content lined up for launch includes an exclusive six-minute trailer for the upcoming Incredible Hulk movie, a preview of Secret Agent Clank for PSP, and exclusive pages from an upcoming Star Wars: Force Unleashed graphic novel.

Sony is even hiding Easter Eggs in each issue -- apparently, there's a mini-game hidden somewhere in the first issue. Sony has partnered with game developer Backbone to create this half-game, half-TV show experience. The content will be provided by Future, publishers of PlayStation: The Official Magazine.

Panico says that 80 to 90 percent of the content in each issue of Qore will be exclusive.

VentureBeat article
http://venturebeat.com/2008/06/03/s...ore-gamers-with-new-playstation-network-show/

The show host's Q&A
http://www.veronicabelmont.com/2008/06/questions-and-qomments-see-what-i-did-there/

EDIT:
Woohoo !
Podcast interview with Qore technical lead, Jeremy Williams
http://cdn2.libsyn.com/gametheory/g...33&nva=20080605013033&t=0ed7a66f9df33462464c2

Back