Pyramid3D prototype: anyone got it?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Simon82, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

No need to do that... :) better if it stays in original condition with stickers and all.

I'll replied your email... Sorry that it took so long...

2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I got plenty of Voodoos but not enough to spare for SLI (only 3 V2 12MBs atm I think and the rest aren't SLIable)

3. Davros

Legend

well ive got 1 voodoo2 and an aureal card (a3d 2.0 rocked)

4. the maddman

Regular

I've got 2 Voodoo 2 12 meg cards and two Aureal cards. Of course, they're probably in the same box as my ST branded NV1 I can't find now. :)

5. Blakhart

Newcomer

Heh!

So what cards did 3dfx sli?

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Voodoo2's, some special models of Voodoo Graphics (IIRC) and then onboard SLI on some special Voodoo Graphics, Voodoo2 and Voodoo5

7. somber

Newcomer

8. [EOCF] Tim

Newcomer

Well, I won the auction, awesome. :)

In the next month or two, I'll try and get a proper system together for testing, I will hopefully get around to some testing, I can choose from about 100 video cards to pit it against, from 1994 to 2003. No promises though, I've got very little time.

I don't visit these forums often, so if anyone wants to contact me, head over to http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

User name : Tim

9. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Some Trader got it. (anyone with over 4 deals per month is trader in my book.)
    Outbidded me in last 10 seconds.

Oh well, I doubt he even knew what he got. Price was $105.50 until last 10 seconds. Then it was raised to $297.89

Feel bit disapointed. I think this was a once in lifetime opportunity at least by having all that stuff included.

well, lesson to learn: don't be a pussy when bidding.

Somber: at least you got pretty nice deal out of it, so it did not went too low.

10. [EOCF] Tim

Newcomer

Well, I won the auction, awesome. :)

In the next month or two, I'll try and get a proper system together for testing, I will hopefully get around to some testing, I can choose from about 100 video cards to pit it against, from 1994 to 2003. No promises though, I've got very little time.

At Nappe, I very well know what I won, and how lucky I am to have such a card appear on the net, I'm not sure what you mean with Trader though, I'm an avid collector of videocards.

11. [EOCF] Tim

Newcomer

Especially with the dev software etc, phew. :cool:

I don't visit these forums often at all, I actually didn't even see this thread until the last couple of hours of the auction, I'm looking for cards pretty much everyday, so I've got a long list of favorite searches that I go by.

12. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Have fun with it.
    Not that I am pissed off (to myself) or something as I have been waiting this situation f*cking 8 years.

I have known guys that were doing drivers for it. I even know guys who actually were doing the chip.

None of that matters though. As I said, Lesson to learn "Don't be a p*ssy when bidding", so my own fault

you probably also know that the drivers are DX6 while card is capable DX7. Maybe even DX8 and partly DX9 if you bend precision a bit.

SO, to test it properly even with drivers coming with it, you will need to have Pentium 233Mhz and Windows 95 (Win98 without any updates is okayish as well) Nevertheless it still leaves open debate about the features DX driver does not reveal at all.

more than testing I would be using it to ... actually, it's yours so does not matter. (besides I have stated it here many many many times.)

besides it's 3:00am here... I am just too tired.

#52 Nappe1, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  13. [EOCF] Tim

Newcomer

Hm, I've had many auctions go that way unfortunately, so I know how much that sucks. I know that doesn't make you feel any better though, well at least you know where it ended up. If I ever need to sell this card or part of my collection, I will keep you in mind (and that's not an empty promise).

Sorry pal. :???:

14. [EOCF] Tim

Newcomer

What I really would like to know is, who Somber is, and how he got his hands on this kit? :?:

15. [EOCF] Tim

Newcomer

Sorry, only just saw your edit. Yea, you are probably right, you would probably put it through much more thorough testing. Even though it might be a sore subject, if you want to I can start a thread when I'm ready for testing, and you can give me some pointers in the right direction.

(where is the post edit button on this forum btw? I really don't like triple posting)

16. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Ask JPaana here. He is was already working at Bitboys when Pyramid3D thingy was collapsing, He, if somebody can give some tips.

It's gonna take few days at least before I am ready to say anything bigger on this subject, but to start with, the card would been launching in autumn 1997, so there's your competitors time. you need to find what was high end gaming system (Pentium MMX 233 was my rough guess) back then and use it as a basis. Final Reality was the benchmark program back then and games like Monster Truck Madness and GLQuake for real game performance testing. You also need some help to get tools which tells what frequency the card really is running as developer cards had huuuuge amount of revisions clocks startin around 80MHz ending up somewhere in 130Mhz, while final product would been running in 160MHz. (Last units from tritech were stable up to 300Mhz, so it was really sad thing to not show up.) So basically you need to somehow represent the data so that readers understand the difference between this card and possible card which would been available.

from features that card drivers do not reveal, like Vertex Shader / Hardware T&L unit supporting everything in VS3, except precision being only 32bit fixed point, I can only hope that you know a lot friends with low level hardware programming or you know it by yourself... basically there's two way to tackle this problem: A) making by hand totally scratch DX7, DX8 or DX9 drivers for it. or B) making some really cool effects using the hardware straight.

VS has 16Kword program lenght support, supporting loops, jumps, conditions, conditinal jumps and non-dependary data reads anywhere from memoryspace.

so yes, this thing is capable doing effects like real time Displacement Mapping for example.

Next to the QUOTE I think, at least on mine layout. (right hand lower corner of posting.)

I am too tired. Luckily 3 more days in work and I am off to middle of the nowhere.

17. [EOCF] Tim

Newcomer

Thank you very much for that, yea the second part of your post goes over my head. At best I can pit it against all it's nearest competitors and the like. No driver experience unfortunatly.

Still can't believe you've got two AXE boards, unbelievable.

(And to think people think the V5 6000 is rare! LOL)

18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

He has AXE chips, not boards, if I'm not mistaken?
    And the Edit is probably missing from you due low post count, I think?

19. [EOCF] Tim

Newcomer

Sorry, yes I ment chips ofcourse.

Hmm, it might be due to that yea, low post count, no privileges! :wink:

20. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

No, not boards.
    just the chips. And I paid nothing from those. (or nothing and nothing... my B.S.c. was dealyed at least a year during years 2001-2002 while delivering information here and other places that no one remembers anymore or does not give a darn.)

I also have one of the under ten items Black Bitboys T-shirts which were given as well free in certain invitation lounge few years ago. (so if you see guy wearing a one, he definitely will know me.)

Voodoo 5 6000 isn't that rare. just expensive. from 3Dfx hardware, even the SLI version of 3Dfx Voodoo 1 is much much more rare, but as no one knows it, it's not that expensive whenever you find a one.

The ultimate Bitboys HW would be replica of Avalanche Dual. (Basically Dual Chip AXE.) It never existed as card, but the blueprints for it at least have been real and as the chips do exist (though rev-B being very rare.) nothing prevents someone building a one, if the drawings can be found.

EDIT: Only thing which matters really is the fact that you don't lose anything from that package and make sure that you make backup from that cd as 1st thing as you get it. Most of that material is unique and there's no money that could bring it back to anyone.

#60 Nappe1, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008