Pyramid3D prototype: anyone got it?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Simon82, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Davros

Legend

He could of got that pic from anywhere though
    to prove its real can you post a pic of you holding the card in one hand and in the other hand holding a sign saying "Davros ownz shaidar"

2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

True, though I must say in his defense that even though I've been digging BitBoys & their projects every so often, I've never seen that pic before (in fact, I've never seen a pic with both the card & programmers ref manual in the same pic)

3. somber

Newcomer

Hey Davros, I'm not asking you to send your bank account number to Nigeria and there's no way you're getting a picture of me holding the card, but, for your entertainment. Picture below...

[​IMG]

4. Blakhart

Newcomer

5. Davros

Legend

Actually i dont even have a bank account :(

6. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

hmmh... Chip has 637 in label... I might have in reach some guys that might be able to tell more about when that Dev board has been done and how close it is planned production boards / chip...

It's with VGA loopback right? Is it TR25203 or TR25202?
    TR25204 would have VGA core included but I don't know how many of them were made.

Any fat chance you have original software disks for it? :)

7. Davros

Legend

and how come i never got a programmers reference manual with my nvidia and ati graphics cards :(

8. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Is your ATI / NVIDIA cards pre-release Developer boards? :)
    if not, no wonder you did not get those.

This particular card is development / developer board, shipped before actual card release for developpers and AIB partners to study reference design.

or something like that... I am getting too old obiously as I have only slight small interest for this. :D (Of course, this particular card would be nice addition next to both AXE revision chips which I already have, but that's about it. :) )

EDIT: It is sort of collectors item though, as it does have original HW Ref guide included. By this time, many of these have gotten lost.

9. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Somber: drop me an email at lasse(dot)karkkainen(at)gmail(dot)com and maybe we get something worked out...

10. Simon82

Newcomer

Wow, i'm very interested in that card, would you sell it? Can you contact me on mail or pm?

11. Davros

Legend

a voodoo5-6000 went for 1720 euro not too long ago

12. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

yeah, but it was publicity very well known card. Pyramid3D is only known not to exist and even that to only ppl interested 3D hardware.

Dave Barron's AXE rev-A chip was bidded only $72, though it is certainly much more rare and technically more interesting than Voodoo 6000.

So, though I would be selling my AXE rev-B, which I am not, I doubt that it would get high bids. The main reason is that it is so rare (less than 10 items outside the company.), that only very few know differencies between rev-A and rev-B. (to general public, it's totally in does not exist list.)

13. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

somber: drop me mail at rys@beyond3d.com. I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands for a good price.

And Nappe1, if you ever wanted to sell your rev-B, give me a nudge and it'd end up in a good home.

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Regardless of who buys and what buys, IMO the card should be put to the test, see what it can really do, how it can perform etc etc (yes, I know, no proper drivers but still!)

15. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

This has been on my to do list about 8 years already. some years ago I still had reserved one 233MHz PII and collection of cards that which were competitors for this. (Voodoo 1, Riva 128, S3 Virge Dx, Permedia 2, etc, etc...) but those went to trash long ago.

Nevertheless, it still leaves a open debate, unless this exact card is capable running on release clock speeds, which I doubt. Even if it would be running at 150MHz (Samples were targeted to 100MHz, Production to 150Mhz.), I would expect it to reach results comparable to Voodoo 1 / Riva 128. Maybe a bit less in very memory bandwidth intensive tests as it was memory bandwidth limited and maybe a bit higher in OpenGL side, as the geometry engine had at least something to do.

More than speed testing, I would like to see the card on hands of some interested 3D graphics enthuastic, as the HW Ref guide still gives a possibility to ran stuff that became available not until Vertex Shader 3. Pixel Shader lacks behind even PS 1.0, but the VS is really powerful.

If that sort of very sad situation comes across, you'll be first to know.

16. somber

Newcomer

The TR number looks to be under the 637 label. I can peel it back if that's important. This is a VGA passthrough card. I may have the CD. I'll have to dig, but will look for it.

17. somber

Newcomer

Pyramid3D

Ok... I have the CD. Pics attached. The CD is revision number 1.2 for independent software vendors. Here's what's on the CD:

Release notes and installation instructions
    Windows drivers (for 95 and NT4)
    SDK with documentation, examples, and utilities.
    Demos (Eagle, Torus, Warrior, and others)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. somber

Newcomer

Simon82, I didn't see your email, you're welcome to email me at somber (at) gmail (dot) com if you're interested in the card.

19. Simon82

Newcomer

Email sent. ;)

20. Blakhart

Newcomer

Right.

Now you've gone and provoked me.

I need some 3dfx cards to do sli in a retro box..... and an Aureal card.

Who has em?