PSU DEATH

:cry:

I think I have blow up my 400w cheapo PSU. Playing starcraft, swapped to icq, few ses later lights on monitor went out... reboot, nada. no post.

but I have a question... I noticed there is an additional motherboard power connector, with 2 12v lines and 2 ground lines. I had never plugged this in, because I had never heard of such an 'extra' mobo power connection.

Anyway, could this be a part of the atx 2.1 compliancy or something? Also, being as my computer originally powered on but failed to post, and then later just failed to power on could this be indicative of some mobo damage? Ive ordered a new PSU so i guess i'll find out on tuesday, I guess im just paranoid that I damaged something else too. It is now behaving just like my previous PSU I blew because it just wasn't 2.1 compliant. I flick on the power switch at the back (mains power sw) and all the fans do about half a spin, and no activity when the power on button is pressed.

GAD DAMMIT :devilish: o_O

You mean a 2x2 power connector? IIRC it's originally for the P4, for providing power to the CPU. I don't know when it's introduced but it's definitely in ATX 2.1 spec.

This may not help, nor be what you want to hear.. but i had a MSI mobo that i was putting together for a friend, that we found out quite late in the game wasn't happy with quite a few of the quality PSU's we threw at it.

What reminded me of this was the whole hit power, fans in system, and psu spin for a second and then no juice. These PSU's went on to spend happy lives in other systems working perfectly. I finally ended up at the local geek shop buying a generic 300watt PSU that for some reason worked when the other ones wouldn't. To this day that setup is still working, but it was one of the most frustrating things to deal with at the time.

Final prognosis was that we figured something on the mobo wasn't happy getting solid power from the other PSU's and something with the generic just jibed right with the mobo. We really should have RMA'd that mobo. But at the point when we were building it we had no idea of what was going on.

Back