PSP/DS games for a long flight

-tkf-

Legend
I could really use some recomendations on RPG, Adventure or strategic games for the PSP and the DS.

Got a long flight before me, NAB, Las Vegas :)

Monkey Island series would be failsafe option, but i guess that would require a Hacked PSP or a DS? :)

What kind of games do you like ?

On PSP, I prefer strategy games and also casual ones:
* Patapon
* LocoRoco
* Lumines
* MGS Portable Ops
* Meta Gear Ac!d 1 and 2 (2 is better)

I didn't try any of the shooters. Also didn't try Monster Hunter even though it sold like hot cakes in Japan.

EDIT:
Okay, I kinda lied when I said I didn't try shooters. I tried Socom on PSP but didn't like it enough (It's not bad but didn't "click" with me). I also had GTA for PSP but stopped playing very quickly.

PSP

Star Ocean: Second Evolution (Port of the PS1 game)
Tales of Eternia (again, port of PS1 RPG)
Valkyrie Profile (Same...)
Final Fantasy 6: Crisis Core

Picross is grossly addictive. I cannot believe how much of a hook that one had. Also, try any of the Pheonix Wright games, since they're all great.

As patsu mentioned, Lumines Time Trial has been horribly addictive to me - I think I sunk 30 hours into that on the PSP alone. There are few simple games like this in which you can improve for such a long time. Make sure that you get Lumines 2, not 1, as the second game is much more responsive and nice to work with.

I also liked Daxter a lot, and it lasts you a good while and has pretty varied gameplay. And looks pretty!

Burnout on PSP is also very good, great in single player, and if you meet someone else with a PSP even more fun (gamesharing).

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core should last you a long while ;) There are a few more good RPGs, that I'm sure others will have mentioned or mention, but FF is actually the only one I have played.

God of War and MGS (both the proper and the Acid games) are also good of course. God of War just came out on budget, too. Prince of Persia also recently released a dual-pack. I played the first PSP one a fair bit and enjoyed it quite a lot actually. This is particularly good if you haven't played these games on the consoles yet.

Love LocoRoco also, obviously, though I'm not sure if I prefer LocoRoco 1 over 2.

Final Fantasy Tactics should be good, though I haven't played it. There are also PSone games on PSN such as command and conquer, though I don't know how good those are on PSP.

I still like Tekken on PSP a lot too.

There's a really lot out there now, but most of these are games that I have played myself for at least 8 hours ;).

Maybe Daxter? I thought that was fun and it looks great too. It's quite relaxing to play as well (except for the button pressing minigames).

GTA Vice City is also great, has fantastic atmosphere and is a great way to kill time.

Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are really long games that'll keep you coming back for more. Pokemon Platinum will last you a couple of flights.

Yeah how could I forget GTA (well, i never played them, that's why). There's a GTA DS just out that's quite good too apparently. AW is also pretty good and has a half decent PSP equivalent as well.

On the DS, apparently Civilisation is really rather excellent as well.

GTA Chinatown on DS is absolutely fantastic, Chrono Trigger is excellent as is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Advance Wars Dual Strike. There's loads of really good games on the system but those are my favourites.

Just be careful with all these portable games in the airport. I ended up on the wrong plane (Yeah, sitting and playing until a woman complained to the cabin crew that someone stole her seat). Damn airport people did not check my boarding pass carefully. Apparently, that stupid boarding pass device doesn't work too.

-tkf said:
I could really use some recomendations on RPG, Adventure or strategic games for the PSP and the DS.
For PSP and strageies, you could look at:
R-Type Tactics
Jean D'Arc
Disgaea
Field Commander
EndWar
WH40k: Squad Commander

PSP with Custom Firmware:
If you can find the PS1 games anywhere:
XCom 1
XCom 2
Civilization 2
Sim City 2k
Sim Hospital
ToyShop

If you can be bothered to setup a Dos emulator:
Master of Orion
Heroes Of Might and Magic 1/2
Dune 1

Puzzle Quest!!!!
I assure you will run your PSP's battery dry 100 times before you complete that game.

I've been playing it for a good 50-60 hours on my PSP, I also have the PS3 version and the Mac version. The game is best suited for the PSP.

Thanks for all the tipe, i will be visiting my local EB store this caterday.

Gonna avoid the shooters, and in general any kind of shooters, except GTA, which i have already :)

Ohh and i jumped in on the DS Homebrew stuff, only question is, where did i leave my DS :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back