PSP: 8 hour battery life for playing games

McFly

Veteran
At the grid game event in Zurich/Switzerland, a big local newspaper had an interview with Jim Ryan from Sony. One of the questions was about battery life:

Wie sieht es denn mit dem Stromverbrauch aus?

Ich kann zwar noch nichts Abschliessendes sagen, aber acht Stunden spielen sollten drinliegen, ohne die PSP wieder aufzuladen.

He says that 8 hours of playing games should be possible without recharging the battery.

Here's the original interview: http://www.blick.ch/PB2G/PB2GA/pb2ga.htm?snr=77742

Fredi

McFly said:
At the grid game event in Zurich/Switzerland, a big local newspaper had an interview with Jim Ryan from Sony. One of the questions was about battery life:

Wie sieht es denn mit dem Stromverbrauch aus?

Ich kann zwar noch nichts Abschliessendes sagen, aber acht Stunden spielen sollten drinliegen, ohne die PSP wieder aufzuladen.

He says that 8 hours of playing games should be possible without recharging the battery.

Here's the original interview: http://www.blick.ch/PB2G/PB2GA/pb2ga.htm?snr=77742

Fredi

Should??

In other words: He did'nt want to confirm anything, but we should expect something like 8 hours.

Fredi

Well, as we have learned in the past statements like these have no relevance unless they come from Kutaragi. Or is that only the case when the news are "bad"?

cybamerc said:
Well, as we have learned in the past statements like these have no relevance unless they come from Kutaragi. Or is that only the case when the news are "bad"?

Depends on who you are.

10 hours playing Mp3 without screen usage, and 8 hours games? Something does not make sense...

Im sure a 1800 Mha battery can run 12+ hours tetris like games, but I still doubt worthy PSP games [that make good use of the hardware] can run around 8 hours.

Im still sceptical, but if it turns out to be true Ill be highly impressed.

Oh my, another useless battery life discussion? I said it before and I'll say it again: "2-3 days usage of retail hardware!", everything else is a waste of time, including PR talk, press release, specs sheets etc etc ... I wouldn't even give a damn, if Ken Kutaragi would tattoo "8 hour battery life for PSP gaming" on his forehead.

cybamerc said:
Well, as we have learned in the past statements like these have no relevance unless they come from Kutaragi.

I agree, PR talk, still PR talk, we should only discuss official PR and engineers talk, when it comes to thoses subjects. IMHO.

What little and uncertain information this is, it is no worse than anything which went before.

People who felt free to speculate about the battery life with less to go on before this have little right to critisize ;)

Yay my first post in the new office. :p

Tysan said:
10 hours playing Mp3 without screen usage, and 8 hours games? Something does not make sense...
Some of the newest PPCs have ~5hours of MP3s with no screen, and ~3 hours of regular use (with screen, obviously :p).
PSP thing may sound improbable, but certainly not completely out of the question.

Fafalada said:
Yay my first post in the new office. :p

Tysan said:
Some of the newest PPCs have ~5hours of MP3s with no screen, and ~3 hours of regular use (with screen, obviously :p).
PSP thing may sound improbable, but certainly not completely out of the question.

Mmm theres a lot of diference in the resources that might use Mp3 decoding and a PSP game boasting expected hi performance graphics, MP3 can probably run in a very cheap way using the VME or the main processor runing at a low speed setting and you can have very few disc reads storing mp3s into main memory... [I really dont know if the expected 10 mp3 hours figure is from UMD or Memory Stick, but it would be interesting to know...]

... on the other side you have that nice shiny hi-res 16:9 screen, main processor @ 333 Mhz, GPU @ 166 Mhz, a lot more disc access, more intensive ram use aside form sound, wireless could hit also power usage...

Well of course developers can minimize disc access [but it will allways be a lot more than reading mp3 files], and they might use lower CPU/GPU speed settings [but then, why aim those max speeds in the hardware design?] its easy to see that theres a lot more going on runing a hi-spec game than playing Mp3s, thats why Im highly sceptical about the 10/8 figure, even if it were 10/5...

Well just my last comment about this, guess the best thing to do is to wait for final specs.

Back