PSP 3.50 Update allows PSN login?

bobthebub

Newcomer
Just tried Remote Play from my PSP to PS3 after the PS3 1.80 firmware update, worked first time a couple of times in a row over my home network which seems an improvement on previous experiences. Word on the blogs is that PSP firmware 3.50 will allow connection over the internet which could be cool although not having much wifi access while out and about not sure I would ever really use it.

What was interesting though was the screen displayed when going into remote play mode on the PS3, it now says:-

"When connecting the PSP system over the internet, you must be signed into the PLAYSTATION Network on this PS3, Also, when connecting, you must sign in on the PSP system using the same sign-in ID"

Woot :LOL:

I can see how this would allow Sony to know your external IP when connect over a NATing router thus facilitating Internet Remote Play, but stuff that, Which PSN features do you think will be available from the PSP?

My guesses are:

On top of what we have now...
* eBook/eMaps + Music + Video download (like portable TV)
* Voice + text chat
* Mixed mode (PSP vs PSP, PSP vs PS3) online game. e.g., chess, backgammon, ...

This one I'm not sure:
* Playstation Home access (e.g. Home customization)

Well I hope there is finally a PSN PSP Store with Vids & Demos.

Voice Chat would be good - would the PSP be capable of video chat?

I wonder if PSN Login on PSP would allow more infrastructure mode multiplayer games, very few just now.

Well I hope there is finally a PSN PSP Store with Vids & Demos.

There really is already, though all stuff on there is free so far. But the step forward would be that you can access it from the PSP directly.

Voice Chat would be good - would the PSP be capable of video chat?

I think so, it just got its own EyeToy after all.

I wonder if PSN Login on PSP would allow more infrastructure mode multiplayer games, very few just now.

Something like a PSP version of Calling all Cars would benefit from being able to use the same kind of interfaces and libraries, and I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see some games (also potentially PS1 type stuff) with multiplayer features through this interface.

Back