PSP 2.0 firmware

pcchen

Veteran
Supporter
This report talks about a new 2.0 firmware for PSP (and a new white PSP). The new firmware update includes:

[Internet]
- Added an internet browser (can be disabled)

[Video]
- Jump function for UMD VIDEO and MUSIC
- A-B repeat function for UMD Video, MUSIC and memory stick video
- Added 4:3 mode for memory stick video
- Added audio switch function for memory stick video
- Added MP4 (AVC) playback function for memory stick video

[Music]
- With SonicStage V3.2 (not announced yet), ATRAC3 plus music files can be put into a memory stick pro duo
- Added MP4 (AAC) and WAVE (Linear PCM) playback function

[Photo]
- Added wallpaper function
- Transmit/receive images function
- Added support for TIFF/GIF/PNG/BMP files

[Setting]
- Added Korean language
- Added [Character set] function
- Added [Theme setting] function
- Added [Diable internet browser] function
- Added WPA-PSK (TKIP) support
- Added keyboard input mode for web input

awwwwww crap....I don't know what to do...I love my emulators...but awwwww crap

1.50 vs 2.0 "There can only be one Highlander!" ~Sean Connery? I forget

Doesn't games silently update the firmware anyway if there's a newer stored on disc than in the eeprom? Or, you could get a second PSP, one for newer firmwares and then you keep your old one for emus? :)

I hope Sony includes a mechanism to run homebrewn software for the PSP. It really sucks they keep fighting that all the time.

pcchen said:
[Video]
- Jump function for UMD VIDEO and MUSIC

Sounds interesting dont know what that is but i would prefer a custom soundtrack function so that while I play games i can play my choice of music.

pcchen said:
- A-B repeat function for UMD Video, MUSIC and memory stick video
I swear I have this for my mem stick video and music already.

pcchen said:
- Added 4:3 mode for memory stick video

I definitely have this already for mem stick video

pcchen said:
- Added audio switch function for memory stick video

Not sure what this is.

pcchen said:
- Added MP4 (AVC) playback function for memory stick video

Hunh? I do that now...

pcchen said:
[Setting]
- Added WPA-PSK (TKIP) support

Now that is what I need.

WPA support is the best thing in this list for me as I'll finally be able to use it on my network. There's a number of nice to haves in that list as well.

Guden Oden said:
Doesn't games silently update the firmware anyway if there's a newer stored on disc than in the eeprom? Or, you could get a second PSP, one for newer firmwares and then you keep your old one for emus? :)

I hope Sony includes a mechanism to run homebrewn software for the PSP. It really sucks they keep fighting that all the time.

Yeah, I believe some UMDs come with Firmware updates on the disks themselves and silently update...or tell you that your not able to play the game until you update to the Firmware version specified (and will gladly help you intall it..lol). I havn't been buying any PSP games BECAUSE of this sneak tactic. I believe that I should have the right to choose if I wanted to update or not...but...whateva!

- With SonicStage V3.2 (not announced yet), ATRAC3 plus music files can be put into a memory stick pro duo

3.2 is out in Japan, and I've got the US build and it does work although with the current 1.52 firmware you still can't see the OMA files on MS DUO Pro yet (Just MagicGated DUO).

Dave I believe you need to buy a game with the new firm ware to have it updated . In the future they may push it through the internet but not at this time .

Thus the go on sale part

DaveBaumann said:
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/business/news/20050721p2g00m0bu023000c.html

Sony officials said a PSP software upgrade will go on sale next week in Japan that includes a Net browser to allow users to surf the Web and also download video to watch on PSP through a service offered by a Sony subsidiary. A white version of the PSP will go on sale next week, but only in Japan.

I hope thats a typo.

ya betcha. to a degree that sony might be willing to pay their existing customers a small bonus just to encourage them to upgrade ; )

Ty said:
Aye, looks pretty damn sharp. Might not show smudges as much either.

'the new psp - now with anti-smudges technology'

Dave I believe you need to buy a game with the new firm ware to have it updated . In the future they may push it through the internet but not at this time .

Thus the go on sale part

Ummm.. No... The firmware update should be available freely via wireless download on the PSP or via PC download (as all firmware updates have been)...

Back