Psone what?!? Outsold.... what?!?

Well, i was reading dec opm(with shinobi in da cover.)... and someone wrote them a letter saying how sad they where the ps2 would die when the ps3 arrived.... their reply.... was something like psone is still kicking it sold more than CUBE AND XBOX COMBINE LAST HOLIDAY!!!! That's during their launch?!?

Is that true?

duh, PSOne was serious mass market material last year, and the year before. There's a _massive_ demographic out there for such a lost cost gaming platform... ie: 7-8yos who don't know better (most PSOne software now is all kids stuff), "Cottage Console", easily modded (WAY moreso than PS2), etc.

Console sales start off miniscule at launch, but really don't break away until the >$99 USD price level. And usually, by that time, their successor is already on the shelves, OR has been announced/hyped/etc.

Besides, Sony still actively supports the PSOne. I still think it'll turn into a hand held at some point :)

zurich

Yes, I know that few months ago, PSone was actually still outselling Gamecube or Xbox (not combined, but individually)

zurich said:
I still think it'll turn into a hand held at some point :)

That shouldn't be surprising though since it seems that companies have come out with handhelds that were approximate to their previous flagship models. E.g. SMS -> Game Gear, N64 -> SNES, etc. Just an easy way to leverage existing software.

zidane1strife said:
Well, i was reading dec opm(with shinobi in da cover.)... and someone wrote them a letter saying how sad they where the ps2 would die when the ps3 arrived.... their reply.... was something like psone is still kicking it sold more than CUBE AND XBOX COMBINE LAST HOLIDAY!!!! That's during their launch?!?

Is that true?

Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. What I am pretty sure about is that PSOne outsold PS2 during its launch by a very large margin. Don't have a link though. :(

why not there are over 500 games for it. Not bad for a 50$ system you can use anywhere (including a car)

Back