PS4 Pro migration from PS4 experiences

Karamazov

Legend
how hard is it to transfert data from my old ps4 to the pro ?
i just need an ethernet cable ? Do i have to configure the pro before ?
the powercable of my ps4 goes behind the TV cabinet, is it the same as the pro ?

Last edited:
Different power cable, it's like a normal computer power supply cable.

Official blog explained the transfer, seems to be a direct ethernet cable between the two:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/11/09/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-ps4-to-ps4-pro/
30860902295_895becbd00_o.png

Important to activate the new PS4 Pro as the primary console, and deactivate the old one, or even wipe it clean if you intend to sell it. Settings->Initialization->Full

Last edited:
Do you have to be online to initialise fully? Or is it smart enough to know when a new account is added to remove this PS4 from you devices?

On same network or use external drive. I think the Pro has a big cable again, like the PS3 fat, but not sure.

EDIT: too slow.

data transfert is so f****** slow ! Had 295gb to transfert but it would take 14 hours ! Deleted most of my games, now i've still 3 more hours to wait until i can try my new toy :mad:

The backup to usb is also very slow, even after I deleted all disc-based caches and most large DD games it took an hour. I think it was only 50GB.

Do you have to be online to initialise fully? Or is it smart enough to know when a new account is added to remove this PS4 from you devices?
Haven't tried, but I think it's automatic when you register a new primary. There is a nice web interface to manage all PS devices and to link/unlink them from your account in remote:
https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

My approx 250GB worth of transfer via gigabit LAN through a router estimated first 9 hours, soon after it dropped to 5h, stil 3 hours left.Glad I deleted all my games that I have on Blu-rays. i had over 800GB before deleting and that would have taken overnight.

Last time I only transferred everything but the games, and downloaded the games fresh. This time I will probably do something similar, won't switch it out for the livingroom one immediately.

Important to activate the new PS4 Pro as the primary console, and deactivate the old one, or even wipe it clean if you intend to sell it. Settings->Initialization->Full
Initalization will NOT deactivate a console. Do that before you format it, or you will be forced to do it via web interface ["Deactivate All" option that has 6 month cooldown].

data transfert is so f****** slow ! Had 295gb to transfert but it would take 14 hours ! Deleted most of my games, now i've still 3 more hours to wait until i can try my new toy :mad:
You should do it console to console, and make sure that you have gigabit-rated cable.

My transfer is chugging along pretty nicely. Little over 300GB and it seems to take about 70min. The console felt really heavy compared to the standard PS4.

Migrated 800GB from OG PS4 to Pro in a little above 3 hours, both PS4 connected to gigabit switch.
It started saying 99 hours and dropped steadily towards 3 hours during the first 10GB of transfer.

My 461GB took ~4hrs via direct LAN - that's PS4 SSHD to Pro stock. All loading times are faster or at worst the same on Pro, so slower HDD but faster loading...will be upgrading HDD soon, just waiting for a few things to happen before jumping.

Deleted games which I didn't want to test first and the transfer was took something like ~50 minutes. (Which went nicely by while cleaning front of the house from excess snow.)
Rest of the games re-downloaded after that in the background.

Back