PS4 making weird noises/sounds

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
its been a week now that my PS4 making weird noises.

1. High-pitched Power noise (the stuff you usually hear in old power supply/motherboard). Happen in "transition" time. For example, launching game or closing game.

2. Disc drive whir. Sounds like when you put non-straight disc drive in PC DVD-ROM. Only happen in install and initial game-load. Did not tried any BR movies because i dont have any.

any of your PS4 making noises? (other than the loud fan noise)

EDIT:
i just tried Titanfall PC DVD in PS4 and it did not whirr (i dont remember where i put my TLOUR disc...). Maybe my Destiny disc is bend a bit lol

EDIT2;
found my TLOUR disc (it was inside Destiny case lol) and my PS4 whirr :(

EDIT3:
reddit, some of people say they get sony replace their PS4 while some others just ignore it because it only sounds for short time.
http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1qz3p0/so_my_ps4_has_been_randomly_making_really_weird/

Giantbomb, they are content its fine http://www.giantbomb.com/playstatio...isc-drive-noisy-humming-for-everyone-1462422/

EDIT4:
just tried installing TLOU again, and it still can properly install game while making whirring sound lol

Last edited by a moderator:
How loud is it? Some of the guys who had it replaced seemed to have a REALLY loud noise, and it was crashing their PS4. It was clearly a defective drive.

The high pitch sound when you start a game (or insert any disc) is normal. It will quickly spin up and it makes a high pitch motor noise for about 2 or 3 seconds until it's up to highest speed.

For the other point, imbalanced discs are mostly a question of bad luck so it's hard to tell if it's the disc or the drive without multiple discs to try.

From my own PS4, I'd say the drive is definitely noisy when it spins at the highest 6x speed when installing a game, just a bit louder than I expected a drive should be, nothing like "oh crap there's something wrong", so I don't know what should be considered normal noise. A DVD or video bluray however will only spin at low speed (playback) and that should always be near silent.

the whirring is still quieter than the fan noise.

The only time I hear my PlayStation 4 is when I forget to open the glass doors at the front of the cabinet during use, which causes a huge heat build up. It gets crazy hot and although it's never shut down, it sounds really distressing!

I've recently moved the DualShock4 charging stand into the cabinet which means I have to open the does to get the controller, which is my mental prompt to open (and leave open) the glass doors :)

My drive is louder than the fan during install. Normally the fan is never audible from the couch.

But I noticed something interesting... This summer I was without A/C for a few weeks and ambient temp was over 30C. The fan was spinning up to a very audible level, as loud as my old PS3-Fat. I guess it means there's a lot of headroom available, and it's aggressive about ambient temperature. It could explain why there's so much variations between people's experiences about the fan's audibility. I had fun making a few tests and I noticed a big change as soon as the ambient temp is 25C or more, while at my usual 21C it's inaudible.

I've only got four PS4 games on disc, the other 20+ were digital downloads so the disc drive being used at all is freakishly rare!

Try removing your cat from your PS4. ;)

Lol brit, you make me laugh in 7am morning.

@dsoup
I only have 2 disc and the one always inside is destiny. Basically it's destinyststion and it's placed in open cabinet.

@mrfox
Yeah I'm in Asia in the middle of long dry season, so it's always hot.

The whirring is not the same sound as normal disc spinning. It's more like a phone in vibrate mode.

Lol brit, you make me laugh in 7am morning.

@dsoup
I only have 2 disc and the one always inside is destiny. Basically it's destinyststion and it's placed in open cabinet.

@mrfox
Yeah I'm in Asia in the middle of long dry season, so it's always hot.

The whirring is not the same sound as normal disc spinning. It's more like a phone in vibrate mode.

Are you sure its the console and not the surface that you placed it on picking the vibrations and making them sound more?

im pretty sure its the console (the sound come from the disc area) but last night it suddenly did not make that sound again. weird.

maybe its heat-related? like how PS3 slim "crackle" for a while after turned off.
Last night its very hot here, even my PC's fan goes full tilt while watching movies :/

I assume you're aware that many optical discs are not particularly well balanced, and will make quite a racket when spinning at a high RPM in fast optical drives? BR drives generally rotate slower than DVD drives, but PS4 probably has a relatively high performance BR drive to cut down on game install times...

yeah im fairly familiar with how it spins and rattle. But usually did not rattle as heavy as on PS4. Even X360 that have loud drive did not rattle.

if it sounds again ill video it :D

The vibrate/rattle noise when the disk spins might be the plastic cover on the top left (the bit you remove if changing the hard drive). You can test this by removing it and see if the noise stops (mine used to do this occasionally).

my sister and her bf have a ps4. It would get really hot and the fans would spin up quite loudly. Target has a $3 usb / ac fan. I bought it and put it in the entertainment unit behind the ps4 point out. So it now creates like a wind tunnel. Its much quieter than before.

Back