PS4 download speed?

Egmon83

Regular
I have my new internet and it's 500Mbit per second; I tested it with benchmark sites and it's 510. When I download source files from youtube, they come in at about 40MB per second, which is 320Mbit but anyway, that's still a realistic speed I think.

PS4 however.. 10MB / 80Mbit max. What gives? Is it capped? Or do I need to open some ports?
Imagine if I bought 1 or 2 gigabit internet? And then download at 80megabit?

It's wired btw

Imagine if I bought 1 or 2 gigabit internet? And then download at 80megabit?

Imagine what? You getting angry because some server somewhere totally outside your ISP's control isn't giving you full download speed?

Sony might have capped download speeds or at the time of downloading servers might have been congested. Try again early morning or late at night.

PS4 dl speed is super slow in my case as well. I have 200Mbit and maybe get 50 max or so...I need to test again to see if it improved.

Slow dl speed is a general PS4 (and 3) problem Sony can't fix it seems.

But egmon, there are many useful posts over at neogaf with all sorts of fixes. Sometime they seem to work :mrgreen:

I have tried for 6 days now, downloading all the (crappy) demo's; updating DriveClub, everything maxes out at around 9-10MB per second.
I am calling Sony support right now.

I understand the pause/unpause or standby 'tricks', but even then the router is downloading at the same speed.

PSN is slow since PS3 era.
slow on PS3, slow on Vita, slow on PS4.

the only fix is using PC as proxy. It will run 4 or more download thread for one PKG file. Then your PS4 download the PKG from PC.

Bad news:
PSN is currently capped at 80Mbit/sec download

That's what in the official SCEE support documents, according to the support representative.

Btw for future reference: I have the PS4 wired, with no ports forwarded, just plugged in the cable, set wired connection and "next" trough everything and selecting automatic everywhere. It has these download speeds when the PS4 is active, so not only in rest mode

You will also find that some games download crazy fast, while others will download crazy slow. In the same window of time (so it's not my connection, those times I saw it happen). And no amount of restart/pause/reboot fixes it. It seems that different games sit on different servers, all with widely varying performance.

I had always assumed that everything was just coming from one place at the same speed but that's really not the case.

You will also find that some games download crazy fast, while others will download crazy slow. In the same window of time (so it's not my connection, those times I saw it happen). And no amount of restart/pause/reboot fixes it. It seems that different games sit on different servers, all with widely varying performance.

I had always assumed that everything was just coming from one place at the same speed but that's really not the case.

The DOOM beta from last weekend was specially a pain. Think the 7.5 GB download took more than a hour on saturday, which comes down on to MB/sec or 20 Mbps.

Btw, boring multiplayer, but that's just me I guess.

Omigosh, 7.5 gigabytes took an hour? *clutches pearls*

You kids have it too good. When I was young and walked to and from school in a blizzard, uphill both ways, we couldn't download 7.5 megabytes in an hour. And nobody complained! (Except well, we did.)

So enough of this bitching and whining, alright? 80mbits/s is pretty decent clip. How long ago was it that even 80mbits/s (much less 500+) was unobtainable pie in the sky velocity, hm? Not very! 80 is still pie in the sky for vast numbers of people even here in the west, one might want to add. It bears noting though that Apple is a far worse provider to download from. Anything and everything takes ages, including simple security updates.

So... First world problem much? :p

Just because you live a technological backwater area, dont disrespect the rest of the world who has moved beyond years and years ago. There is no reason in this day and age for a major content provider to be so limited.

Omigosh, 7.5 gigabytes took an hour? *clutches pearls*

You kids have it too good. When I was young and walked to and from school in a blizzard, uphill both ways, we couldn't download 7.5 megabytes in an hour. And nobody complained! (Except well, we did.)

So enough of this bitching and whining, alright? 80mbits/s is pretty decent clip. How long ago was it that even 80mbits/s (much less 500+) was unobtainable pie in the sky velocity, hm? Not very! 80 is still pie in the sky for vast numbers of people even here in the west, one might want to add. It bears noting though that Apple is a far worse provider to download from. Anything and everything takes ages, including simple security updates.

So... First world problem much? :p

some asia country have ludicrous speed at cheap price. dunno at what price exactly though. They just say its cheap.

- Japan
- Korea

im in Indonesia and i got 30/15 Mbps for around 15 USD.
the top tier is 300 / 150 Mbps for around 80 USD.
theres also symmetrical 150/150 Mbps for around 35 USD

i usually got max 10 Mbps from PSN. But from steam or origin, i got max speed.

some asia country have ludicrous speed at cheap price.
Combination of high average standard of living and population density. Europe, with over half a billion people squished into a tiny corner of the Earth, can't compete. 'Merka, forget it. :p Population is too spread out, it would require enormous infrastructure investments.

They're coming eventually, some day. It takes time, these things. Especially when idiot politicians and voters think buying weapons to kill each other with is much more important.

the weird thing is, PS4 speed test properly detect my 30mbps internet. but it still slow download :/

i wish they use torrent like blizzard. it should be able to give more speed, at least due to the ridiculous amount of download thread it made.

some asia country have ludicrous speed at cheap price. dunno at what price exactly though. They just say its cheap.

- Japan
- Korea

im in Indonesia and i got 30/15 Mbps for around 15 USD.
the top tier is 300 / 150 Mbps for around 80 USD.
theres also symmetrical 150/150 Mbps for around 35 USD

i usually got max 10 Mbps from PSN. But from steam or origin, i got max speed.

1Gbit for 3500 ~ 5000+ yen depending on the provider you go with. I'm paying something like 3700 yen a month (33 USD). Though usually I ''only'' get between 300 and 500mbit. Not that I ever felt that wasn't enough hehe. Because of this topic I turned on a steam download and I think it downloaded a 40gb game in something like 10 minutes.

Sorry @Grall but 7.5GB is a 10 min job for people in the civilised world like us :runaway:
You're talking to a guy who's been sitting on a 200mbit/s cable connection for over two years now. You get spoiled when you hit a server that can saturate your entire pipe; Battle.net for example is very good in this regard. Consistently near 100% capacity used when downloading. Steam... A bit hit and miss, performance tends to vary a lot for no discernible reason. Often it hits 10+ MB/s, but sometimes performance is really shitty, and I'm back in single-digit VDSL territory. ;)

AMD and NV's driver download servers are also good. Hardly any waiting involved, despite that a graphics driver today is larger than an operating system of the mid-1990s. :LOL:

Back