PS3's future 2D photo to 3D environment morphing technology feature - A sneak-peak

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7537

Shred0r just posted this in ps3forums.com

Some days ago i found a interesting news post regarding future PS3-PSP interaction features that could be added via firmware update. There is the talk of a technology that automatically morphs 2D photos into 3D scenes where you can interact with. This info has been delived to this site by a guy by the name/nickname of: Watashiwa Tegatana desu (if this helps someone)

Die Media Cross Bar der PlayStation 3 bietet zahlreiche Features. Dazu soll auch die Möglichkeit gehören sein eigenes Ich in ein Spiel zu integrieren. Das Fotoprogramm beherrscht neben einer solchen Gesichterkennung noch andere Bearbeitungsmöglichkeiten für Bilder. Des Weiteren kann man mittels Eye Toy Cam dreidimensionale Bilder erstellen.

http://www.consolewars.de/news/newsd....php?idx=14734

This is my translation of it:

>The XMB (cross media bar) does offer plenty of features. One of them is the possibility to implement your own face (outer appearance) into a game. Along the face recognition technique, the photo programme is also capable of other picture editing mechanics. Futhermore, one is able to create three-dimensional
pictures with the use of the Eye Toy cam.<

Well, and today the very same site has posted another interesting stuff that can stay in relationship with the previous info dealing with the 2D-3D morphing technology that is rumoured to be implemented into the PS3/PSP as a future feature. This video is not directly related to the PS3 ( as it is a demonstration of an upcoming PC programme) but demonstrates how the technology could work and what potential it offers to revolutionize/refresh the way games have been played all the time before (Wii contributed to this with external devices whereas this is a "in-box" technology).

This technology could be used in a great way for card based games where you hold your ("Magic") card to the Eyetoy and then the monster gets materialized in the game, gets a 3-dimensional look to it.

Check it out:

http://www.consolewars.de/news/14774...atures_2d__3d/

Here is another funny video showing off possible future ways of gameplay and the interaction between the player and the game:

Wii / Eyetoy: That's old hat! :p

http://www.consolewars.de/news/14777...waren_gestern/

You're links are broken as their quotes of truncated links. That's why you should link to the source.

As for the tech, hard to talk without seeing examples, but it sounds like stuff already considerd, and most importantly, isn't confirmed. Which means I find the title misleading and the content disappointing. This isn't a sneak peak at what is coming, but an idea of what might happen. That means there should be at least a question mark in the title, and preferrably a better title altogether such as 'Possible camera-based technologies on consoles.' Remember XB360 ahs it's own camera too, so unless these techs are specifically PS3 based, they are open to everyone to use, no?

It's not directly related, no. I think the point here is that, if Eyetoy is meant to be 3D-aware, then is this the sort of thing such technology entails? We heard about the Eyetoy reading your environment, and the possibility for things like small characters perching on your shoulder (e.g. the concept video with a small girl sitting in a colourful environment and interacting with cutesy cartoon characters etc). Would the PS3 be running a real-time version of this sort of thing to achieve such awareness? Would it have an invisible model of your room in 3D and use that to primitively recreate your room, and then have visible characters moving around in that environment much like how FFVII and RE used still images and had characters move around in them?

Would it have an invisible model of your room in 3D and use that to primitively recreate your room, and then have visible characters moving around in that environment much like how FFVII and RE used still images and had characters move around in them?
There was a suggestion of the camera having depth awareness via IR, but I don't know how that'd be impleneted. Thinking about it just this minute though, if the camera has a motorized focus, it could go through a scanning mode to record depth. By changing the focus from near to far, and taking pictures, for each picture the areas in sharp focus at at the distance of the focal length, give or take a bit. You'd also know the camera's perspective so could probably derive some simple geometry.

I think one of the problems with this is application. Apart from being fun, it's a lot of work with very little practical application.

Back