[PS3, Xbox 360, PC] Split/Second

CES 2010: Split Second Hands-on

As we played through the shipyard, we immediately noticed the highly responsive controls. Cars move around realistically, with genuine weight and momentum, but this level of legitimacy does not arrive at the sacrifice of tightness or maneuverability. Rather, Black Rock seems to have struck the perfect balance of control and simulation.

In the shipyard, shortcuts are aplenty and chances for big air and awesome power plays await at every turn. With cars ahead of us, we spotted a helicopter looming and we executed a power play, at which point the copter flew overhead and dropped a bomb on our competitors. In another instance, we exploded a hole directly through a gargantuan ship and then drove up into it, speeding alongside its walkways and eventually back into the yard again. These big moments arrive with standout explosions, crumbling structures and more, all rendered competently without hiccups in framerate or speed.

splitsecond-20090311034703576.jpg

I may have to purchase this...

It was incredibly polished at E3 for a game that wouldn't even ship 6 months later. I've noticed since then, they changed the pivot point of where the "HUD" attaches to the car, which was the only thing that really bothered me at E3. Black Rock is amazing, as they've already proven with Pure. I can't wait to run this on my PC in Eyefinity.

Looks great, i only wish that people finaly stop using this "all orange-brown-gray-red" color palette and actualy use colors that are natural and easy on eyes

Isn't the demo out?
I thought I downloaded it, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I will check later.

Nope, I just checked. I was thinking of a different demo I downloaded this weekend, but haven't tried (NFS: Shift). My bad.

Back