PS3 will play the games of PS2 and PSOne

That's cool, I assume psone backwards compatability will be in software mode though. Most likely with improved graphics.(Filtering)

We're learning about PS3 alot in this week.. maybe this is a hint for what is to come.

i remember sony bought one of those emulator companys that brought out a psx emulator many years back...
if they make a software emulation on ps3 , maybe enhance gfx are possible for psONe and yes, why not the ps2 :)

I'm sure they'd like to, provided it's not amazingly involved and throw any timetables off. I've seen rather minimal effect from PS2's "enhancement" capabilities for PS1 so far, so I'm not laying down bets, though. They might be able to patch over a few of PS2's weak spots quickly, though, who knows?

Nice to see the backwards compatability staying firmly where it is, though. ^_^ The ability is nice to have, whether or not people make use of it.

cthellis42 said:
I'm sure they'd like to, provided it's not amazingly involved and throw any timetables off. I've seen rather minimal effect from PS2's "enhancement" capabilities for PS1 so far, so I'm not laying down bets, though. They might be able to patch over a few of PS2's weak spots quickly, though, who knows?

Nice to see the backwards compatability staying firmly where it is, though. ^_^ The ability is nice to have, whether or not people make use of it.

With the backward compatibility, I can put my old PS2 back to the box and never need to take it out again. Just like what I did when I replace the old PS with the PS2.

Interesting quote from Kutaragi on this point. (I pulled it from Spong--don't know the original source):

"PSone and PlayStation 2 are, of course, separate formats. PSone games run on the new models of PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware,? explained Kutaragi-san. ?Our PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for all PlayStation software and this format will continue forever. Just like the situation with personal computers or music CDs, the format continues by incorporating it into new products."

Deepak said:
Maski, you can gift your PS2 to me when PS3 arrive, I wouldn't mind :D ;)

You are out of luck, my friend's son has been waiting for my old SCPH-10000 PS2 since last year. He may be able to get it if one day my impulsive buying behaviour drive me to buy a SCPH-50000 PS2 with BB Unit (or when the PS3 is released). :D

Until then, I need it to use with my external PS2 HDD.

My PAL PS2 for PAL games, and my Ocean Blue PS2 is a collectors' item. ;)

The way I understand it, (and correct me if im wrong here) the PS2 plays PS1 games partially with PS1 hardware and partially through emulation.

PS2's I/O chip contains the PS1 CPU, GTE, MDEC, I/O, and anything else that was intergrated onto the PS1 CPU (LSI Logic did that).

The PS2 does NOT contain the PS1's graphics unit but since the PS2's Graphics Synth is based on the idea of PS1's graphics chip, the GS can simulate or emulate it easily.

With PS3, they will either include a PS2 EE+GS and use that as a co-processor for PS3 for I/O, audio, etc. or, just the EE, and let the Visualizer/GS3 do the work the PS2's GS would do. or Cell can be made to emululate the EE.

Back