Ps3 slim: no linux ??

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by MrCarrefour, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

I planned not to get a TV until LED-Backlights are affordable, I planned not to get a console or any other deterrent as I`m gonna start on my diploma thesis soon...
    Then Sony happens while you`re making other plans.

Now I got a 40GB "Fat" PS3 and nothing to hook it up to. My little sister is happy though as I therefore just left it at my parents and it came with Singstar and LBP (and Motorstorm.. all for 250€).
    And naturally I`m now motivated to get a TV. :evil:

I just hope this wasnt an evil plot to get people like me clearing the old stock.

2. thop

thop Great Member
    Veteran

The official explanation is a bit strange, as Sony does and will continue to support Other OS on the old PS3, and the employees from the Linux team are still employed and will be. The removal of the feature may encourage a few people to make Linux run properly on the PS3, which will then by proxy most likely also enable piracy.

3. DeanA

Newcomer

The OtherOS hypervisor is done. It's included in firmware, and used by old hardware which is compatible with it. It has no dependency on other OS components. The level of support needed for it is likely as straightforward as just including the existing module in the firmware without any modifications.

Assuming that continuing support of OtherOS for old PS3s involves anything more than that level of work is simply jumping to conclusions.

Cheers,
    Dean

4. idsn6

Regular

Well, I assume any employees retained are so they can be deployed in the case someone finds access to the RSX again. That was basically all they did before anyway, right?

5. patsu

Legend

Not really. If you visit the oss-cbe-dev mailing list, there are Sony staff enhancing and fixing Linux kernel bugs.

6. idsn6

Regular

That undermines my kneejerk snarkiness nicely.

7. Color me Dan

Regular

I'm terribly sorry to come by and bump a thread with my first post in years, but I find it nicer then starting a new one.

If, unless i misunderstood DeanA, it is as simple as an addition to the firmware for newer consoles; Doesn't that mean it can be included in future firmware releases should they change their minds at Sony? I'm asking this because I've been holding off on getting a PS3 for a while now and I'd love a Slim. Not only are they smaller and more frugal, they're cheaper then the fat one in Sweden(don't ask me why)!. If there is the slightest hope of Sony seeing the light and re-activating the OtherOS feature I'll go for the slim in a heartbeat. Dunno why, but laying out more cash for a fat PS3 with a 80Gb hd when I can get a cheaper Slim with 120Gb... Just feels wrong.

8. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Apparently there's something missing in the Slim hardware that allows this feature. The same firmware on Fat PS3s after all still has OtherOS enabled. I think there's an explanation somewhere in the thread of what the difference is exactly, but I would not count on ever being able to run Linux on the Slim.

9. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Maybe if Sony starts making money on hardware alone, they'll enable it for everyone.

10. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Why? No-one's going to use it. Don't count on future hardware ever incorporating Linux, without a sudden corporate U-turn which would warrant actually promoting the feature.

11. Color me Dan

Regular

Hmm, Seeing as that is probably the case I will think a bit about my purchase a little more. Thank you for the information though guys, it's appreciated.

12. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Well if they would get money instead of losing money with the hardware then they would have a reason to make it available again. I'm thinking they disabled it, because they don't want to sell subsidied consoles to people who don't buy software. Naturally if they were making money with the console, it would be in their best interest to sell them to everyone, and at that point they could enable Linux to all PS3 owners. I'm not saying it'll happen, I'm saying that's the only way it can happen.

13. tuna

Veteran

I don't think there is something missing in the HW, all that is lacking is the hypervisor drivers for the new HW in the slim. And Sony apperently doesn't think it should spend money on those...

14. Color me Dan

Regular

Is the hypervisor not part of the firmware? I'm not the most technical person but I do love to learn.

15. patsu

Legend

It doesn't matter where the hypervisor sits. It needs to talk to the PS3 Slim hardware via new software drivers.

16. Color me Dan

Regular

I found an interesting article on sonyinsider.com that sheds some interesting light on the development of linux support. I was especially interested to learn about the work being done to support Linux on PS3, I'll quote part of a quote in the article from Fixstars forum by a Kai Staats that explains it quite well.

The original forum post which the article quotes can be found here. I guess it also answered my silly question about the hypervisor, so no need to answer that on now. :oops:

17. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

18. thop

thop Great Member
    Veteran

This will make the few companies who build a business around this very happy, to say the least. Especially after they got reassurance last year that this won't happen.
    http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2009-August/006965.html

19. NeoTechni

Banned

But shouldnt every game need new drivers then too?

If the games talk to the hardware the same way, then linux should as well

20. DeanoC

DeanoC Trust me, I'm a renderer person!
    Veteran Subscriber