PS3 sales at UK launch.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7537

Record-breaking 165,000 PS3s sold at UK launch

18:45, Mar 26th 2007 by Neil Long

New format becomes fastest-selling home console ever over its debut weekend.

ChartTrack has confirmed that 165,000 PS3 units were sold during the console's launch weekend.

The figure is three quarters of the total 220,000 UK launch stock for day one, and makes PS3 second only to PSP in the overall launch weekend sales stakes. The Sony handheld shifted 185,000 in its opening weekend back in September 2005.

PS3’s record-breaking debut for a home console comfortably beats the previous top seller Nintendo Wii, which sold 105,000 after its frantic launch weekend in December last year. Fellow format rival Xbox 360 racked up an estimated 70,000 at launch in December 2005.

The figure also means that Sony has not sold all of its opening weekend stock, something the platform holder claims is part of its overall strategy at retail.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26261/Record-breaking-165000-PS3s-sold-at-UK-launch

remember XB360 and Wii had limited supply to demand... they would obviously achieved 100k+ sales as well had they have been launched with good supplies.

but overall, 425GBP console selling 2nd fastest is still impressive on its own

165000/220000 = surprise surprise, exactly 75%

i am missing a lot of things though :LOL:

the attachment rate is supposed to be 1.65 from the same source.
Disappointed? The PS3 has well-integrated access to free demos, too, which means there's a good prospect for excellent attachment rates as soon as there are more than two games worth owning.

no I don't remenber the figure for others systems, this was supposed to be informative.

Anyway it's still estimation.
Chart track doesn't say in the software chart how many copies of each game have been sold.
Should have been interesting even if it's estimations.

Thats very impressive for such an expensive console. From what I gather over here in London, its created quite a buzz now its finally out. Sony has said they will ship weekly aswell, so supply wont be a problem. I predict huge sales when Heanvenly Sword, Killzone and GT Prologue are released. I for one will definately be picking one up-along with a Bravia LCD.

If you're 3rd party you are!

;)
Well I'm not! ;)
I'm more like fifth or sixth party plural. But if I were third, I'd push harder on the demo releases. I held Enchanted Arms in hand for a few seconds on Saturday but I put it back. Given a good demo, I might have carried it to the register, but as is I'm just not sure about the game, and our mutual compatibility. Demooooos!!

Disappointed? The PS3 has well-integrated access to free demos, too, which means there's a good prospect for excellent attachment rates as soon as there are more than two games worth owning.

2 games worth owning? Didn't PS3 launch in Europe with 25 titles including Resistance, Motorstorm, COD3 and F1? Whats so different about the 360 launch games (~15 titles) that lead to an higher attachment rate?

2 games worth owning? Didn't PS3 launch in Europe with 25 titles including Resistance, Motorstorm, COD3 and F1?
I don't think they're all worth having. F1 might get big, dunno, kinda forgot about that. It's definitely not a game for me. Might be an either/or deal versus Motorstorm, whereas if you're inclined to play an F1 sim, you're probably not going to tolerate an arcady fun-racer.
I don't think anyone needs CoD 3 when you can have Resistance. It's a war-zone, too!
dobwal said:
Whats so different about the 360 launch games (~15 titles) that lead to an higher attachment rate?
Umm, nothing? Should I really want to compare attachment rates after more than a year to week 1 attachment rates?

2 games worth owning? Didn't PS3 launch in Europe with 25 titles including Resistance, Motorstorm, COD3 and F1? Whats so different about the 360 launch games (~15 titles) that lead to an higher attachment rate?

over 70% of them are already on Xbox 360, with

superior graphics
presence of rumble
superior and better online
presence of achievements

only those without Xbox 360 will pick up multiplatform titles for PS3 instead of Xbox 360 version, which is only way it makes sense

Exception: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion :LOL:

personally, i am buying ps3 version since it is the only way i can buy sealed copy of this game

Why does everyone forget about VF5 and VT3?? I think, out of all the avaliable games, they're certainly very good games for a launch.

only those without Xbox 360 will pick up multiplatform titles for PS3 instead of Xbox 360 version, which is only way it makes sense
Fail.

PS3 is far quieter a console. If I could pick one of either PS3 or 360 to play a game on I would definitely choose the Sony comnsole for this very reasdon. Unless PS3 version was hugely crippled or somesuch.

Achievements? Pah don't make me laugh. :cool: It has to be a far mroe compelling reason.
Graphics may be a bit suckier on PS3 in some titles initially but I expect the difference to be marginal in gamesto come. Launch stuff is often more or less crap visually especially multiplatform stuff.

Lack of rumble is a boit of a downer though but at least it won't run down the battery as quick I suppose.

personally, i am buying ps3 version since it is the only way i can buy sealed copy of this game
Why is sealed so important to you? And why wouldn't there be any sealed copies for 360?
pEace.

I don't think they're all worth having. F1 might get big, dunno, kinda forgot about that. It's definitely not a game for me. Might be an either/or deal versus Motorstorm, whereas if you're inclined to play an F1 sim, you're probably not going to tolerate an arcady fun-racer.
I don't think anyone needs CoD 3 when you can have Resistance. It's a war-zone, too!
Umm, nothing? Should I really want to compare attachment rates after more than a year to week 1 attachment rates?

The attachment rate at the 360 launch was still higher and were described as anything but dismal.

The attachment rate at the 360 launch was still higher and were described as anything but dismal.
And what are you responding to now? Did I say anything about that? But if you have numbers, I'm actually interested in hearing them.

The sales charts for the weekend are in another thread and they are basically dominated by PS3 games (at the top)

Seems pretty rosey to me.

More so when you consider that you can actually buy a console without any games, when the 360 was released the supply issue meant that people were pretty much being forced into buying 3 or 4 games.

Fail.

PS3 is far quieter a console. If I could pick one of either PS3 or 360 to play a game on I would definitely choose the Sony comnsole for this very reasdon. Unless PS3 version was hugely crippled or somesuch.

Achievements? Pah don't make me laugh. :cool: It has to be a far mroe compelling reason.
Graphics may be a bit suckier on PS3 in some titles initially but I expect the difference to be marginal in gamesto come. Launch stuff is often more or less crap visually especially multiplatform stuff.

Lack of rumble is a boit of a downer though but at least it won't run down the battery as quick I suppose.

Why is sealed so important to you? And why wouldn't there be any sealed copies for 360?
pEace.

Also lets not forget that online is free, you get a bigger storage which is easily replacable, motion sensing controller and GT:HD for free.

I think for a console that just launched it offers too many great things. Besides, multiplatform games although look better on 360 they are only slightly better looking, hard to notice the difference in qualitiy unless you put them next to each other. This is bound to change too. And ofcourse as always its not the 3rd party games that make a console diferent. Its the 1st/2nd party games and its features in general.
Lastly why view the fact that those 3rd party games existed on the 360 and not see it the other way round that the PS3 is also getting them as well?

Personally I would have payied to get a PS3 if I had the money. Actually I wished I had the money to get both consoles, but I dont see that "inferiority" PS3 is supposed to have

And what are you responding to now? Did I say anything about that? But if you have numbers, I'm actually interested in hearing them.

Launch tie ratio for xb360 was around it's current mark of 5, AFAIR.

I think a deeper issue can explain the low tie ratio.

Expectations.

You see it in many places around the web in news stories and even here. Many were/are expecting ps3 to run games that don't look like xb360 games. (after the bad wrap xb360 got at launch of xbox1.5 who would!) I think many gamers after spending a good deal on ps3 are looking for the cream of the crop so to speak, so I expect Motorstorm and maybe F1 to top the charts for now. Games that show the system off for those that might question the decision and are also good fun. With that, the other explanation may be, the gamers are broke after spending that much cash! And the final reasoning IMO, BR buyers. BR movie sales did seem to pick up considerably the past few.

That's my take anyway.

Back