PS3 Production Cost Breakdown

Ben-Nice

Regular
Long article. I'm not sure how accurate they're assesment is. I will say I haven't seen too many $500 motherboards.

http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

PS3 20 and 60GB

111606-1.gif

PS3 VS X360 breakdown

111606-2.gif

Erm no, you can easily navigate to the thread from the post (link in the upper right), finding the post in the thread is harder. At least for me.

This deserves it's own thread. I wouldn't have ever saw this otherwise.

Interesting that the 360 is pulling a profit so soon?? I remember MS was losing about $125 per system at launch time.

Interesting that the 360 is pulling a profit so soon?? I remember MS was losing about $125 per system at launch time.

+ controller + av cables + remote + headset* would bring it closer...

* we don't get a headset :(

Of course the same logic applies to the ps3 price.

some laughable quotes from isupplie :

Sony’s Blu-Ray DVD read only optical device in the PlayStation 3 has dual purposes: up-converting the game console’s output to high-definition resolution, and allowing viewers to watch high-definition movies using the console, according to Krishna Chander, senior analyst, storage devices, for iSuppli.
:)

The PlayStation 3’s HDD is a 2.5-inch, 20Gbyte capacity drive supplied by Seagate Technology Inc. The reason a HDD is included in the PlayStation 3 is to store the mathematical modeling based on physics for the motion and impact of the various game objects. The DVD media produces the objects that are manipulated by the game player and for each scenario; the most realistic situations are replicated using the Cell processor and mathematical models

and the best one, after no further explication for the 200$ = xenos+xenon+512MB+smart edram+motherboard, nor for, excluding BR vs dvd, a 200$ gap between xenos+xenon+512MB+smart edram+motherboard and cell rsx 256 MB gdram 256xdram+motherboard (some fucking bad yelds??? PR??? By the look of the quote for me it's obvioulsy pr oriented analisys...) the easy win....

While many fret over the high cost and price of the PlayStation 3 compared to the competition, iSuppli believes the console provides more processing power and capability than any consumer electronics device in history. Because of this, the PlayStation 3 is a great bargain, well worth its $599 price and $840.35 cost, iSuppli believes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me either.

If the ps3 bom looks right but's the xbox one looks false...

Agree on the 360 looking a little low; the PS3 looks a little high./

Long article. I'm not sure how accurate they're assesment is. I will say I haven't seen too many $500 motherboards.

Motherboard includes 256MB XDR, 256MB GDDR3, Cell, RSX, I/O Bridge Controller, and EE+GS.

I'm sure you noticed all they did was add the estimated component costs directly related to the motherboard, such as the processor, to get that total.

Due to increased yeilds and lowered costs the Xbox360 should be enjoying a 15-20% price decrease in components between this month and november 1 year ago, the PS3 should enjoy the same thing. Basically Microsoft should be pretty close to breaking even on the Xbox360 Premiums right now. At least last time i checked, not sure about making a profit. (in US dollars that is)

Due to increased yeilds and lowered costs the Xbox360 should be enjoying a 15-20% price decrease in components between this month and november 1 year ago, the PS3 should enjoy the same thing. Basically Microsoft should be pretty close to breaking even on the Xbox360 Premiums right now. At least last time i checked, not sure about making a profit. (in US dollars that is)

A recent quote from Moore (I believe) said it is costing them more to make 360s this year than it did at the same time last year. Not sure why (maybe pushing out every last machine they can?) but that is what they said. Whether to believe him or not...

With Xenon moving to 65nm in Q1 2007 and Xenos moving in sometimes 2007 (and eDRAM to 55nm at the end of 2007??) MS will begin cutting some large costs, but they also are looking at a price cut. While I think they really need to hit $199/$299, it may end up being something like $229 / $360 (better bundle) / $499 AV SKU.

A recent quote from Moore (I believe) said it is costing them more to make 360s this year than it did at the same time last year. Not sure why (maybe pushing out every last machine they can?) but that is what they said. Whether to believe him or not...

Better quality controll, higher quality components? It may be more expensive to produce but that cost should more than make up for the numbers of defects they have had so far.

How much did the ps2 and 1 sell at?

Both at $299 (and UK£299 as they were still doing US-UK straight conversion) at launch. With rumours and "analyst reports" that PS2 cost $1000 at launch to make... Err...

I think they just go... "Mmmm i think it costs... one THOUSAND dollars!"... with their white cats on their laps...

no US launchprice was 299US$ and they where still complaining it was expensive .
I also paid > 500euro for my launch PS2 (+game+memcard that was another 100euro backcalculating currency )

Thank god we dont have to buy memorycards anymore!

Back