Ps3 linux: RSX 3d chip situation

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by MrCarrefour, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MrCarrefour

Newcomer

Hi friend, is something going on with the 3d support for ps3 linux?
    Forgetting the hack, do you think sony will open the 3d access as the ps3 hardware sales turn in profit, or do you think sony will ever?
    I think sony don't want you to buy a ps3 just to use as a pc, but to use it first for games, and if you want .. as a pc .. but .. not so much as a pc !!!
    So I think sony will never open 3d support for ps3 :cry:

2. rpg.314

Veteran

Me too.

3. manux

Veteran Regular

The speculation is that it's more of an issue with platform integrity(i.e. prevent piracy) that makes it not possible/difficult to open rsx to third parties in linux. Perhaps RSX can access memory in a way that could potentially circumvent hypervisor...

I doubt Sony is afraid of someone making games to linux platform that would be able to compete even remotely with licensed developers and their resources. It's not as if some random guy can just go and develop a game that competes with killzones and uncharted territories... Also even if there was open source driver who says that it would perform as well as what's available in Sony's private sdk...

edit. Another good reason to not exposing RSX can be related to deal with nvidia and the licensing model/nda. Does sony have the *right* to give access to rsx and expose how it works?

#3 manux, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  4. rpg.314

Veteran

I think this is the case.

5. Panajev2001a

Veteran

The same as there probably are ways to break-in SPU Isolation mode and the Hypervisor's security from the CPU side (and people working on it I am sure...)... RSX's DMA accesses are checked for validity (by a HW component on the other side of the FlexIO bus IIRC), i.e. you try to access a protected region from RSX --> DMA denied.

PS3 Linux is a monumental failure as far as homebrew gaming is concerned (and that is the tip of the iceberg, the whole content creation and content tools->game engine pipeline issue is yet another HUGE problem you'd have to face, even worse than not having RSX)... especially considering PS2 Linux and XNA on the Xbox 360.

I have no words...

I doubt they will ever figure out how to make PS3 Linux more appealing to those trying to don both high quality 3D graphics and use CELL to the max in non-graphics related tasks, especially when they are so far away from allowing even a JAVA+LUA/LUA+some_OpenGL_3D_graphics_support mini-SDK in HOME for user created arcade games.

6. Panajev2001a

Veteran

An OpenGL driver would not expose RSX's inner workings to users...

7. patsu

Legend

Yo ! Any news on this ? The Develop article in October/Nov 2008 implied that they have submitted something for approval. Do you have any more details ?

8. Panajev2001a

Veteran

No, sorry... I do not know anything about that more than that article revealed and I know that because I read it in the article... so... sigh...

9. rpg.314

Veteran

Yup. But there are two issues.

1) GPL for the linux kernel.
    Look here, post 75 in this thread.

2) Why would anyone bother paying sony licensing fees when they can develop games for linux w/o that. I heard they are about $10 a pop.

PS: How do you link to a specific post in a particular thread?

10. Panajev2001a

Veteran

Just like how nVIDIA is forced to GPL its official Linux drivers now?!? Binary blobs are fine... Referring to that post you made and Arun's followup, I do not think PS3 Linux and Android are similar situations, if Sony and nVIDIA wanted to make a PS3 Linux RSX driver available they could do so just like they make a common Linux GeForce driver available. Release it in the same way, add a PS3 Linux menu entry in the choose your OS menu... there is the will not to release such a driver, not any kind of legal issues barring it...

Just like PS2 Linux killed PS2 gaming releases (or like XNA is just destroying game sales on the Xbox 360)? Not to count they would have considerably less HW resources available due to the fact they would be running Linux on top of the Game OS/HyperVisor...

I am fine with Sony saying "F U people, we do not want homebrew game makers either under Linux or HOME, so just piss off!", I just find counterproductive to make excuses for them though...

PS3 Linux == cheap CELL SDK to prototype CELL code... fine, just allow me to be pissed off expecting a little bit more... :(.

P.S.:

to link a specific post you copy and paste the link of the post through the "post #" link on the top right of the post you want to link to... like so (circled in green) --> see attachment...

Attached Files:

• B3D.JPG
      B3D.JPG
      File size:
      51.4 KB
      Views:
    #10 Panajev2001a, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
  11. patsu

Legend

OpenGL implementation:
    http://www.mesa3d.org/cell.html

EDIT:
    In the book "Programming the Cell Processor", Ogre3D is highlighted as a framework for building games on PS3 Linux: www.ogre3d.org
    It's supposed to run on top of the above OpenGL implementation. I have not tried it myself but I think it's running on the PPU and hence, could be (very, very) slow.

12. rpg.314

Veteran

That could be a way for distributing linux drivers, if there was will to do it.
    You are right, XNA/PS2 linux didn't harm gaming. But may be, that's not what Sony is thinking.:roll: I was only speculating what might be their potential reasons for blocking rsx. Personally, PS3 linux with RSX would have been a great thing for me and I would have definitely bought one for homebrew purposes.:???: Perhaps right now they are losing money per console that's why they are doing this. They released a PS2 kit a few years later. One can hope for it to become profitable sometime in the future, maybe then they would release one. Hope springs eternal.:wink3:

Thanks for that.

13. patsu

Legend

Oh and 2D gaming via Python for PS3: http://python-ps3.sourceforge.net/

On the LUA side, back in April 2008... http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2008-04/msg00452.html

14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Wow, an actual simple graphics frontend! At least things are moving forwards. Ireally wish Sony were investing in this. The actual fiscal investment would be small, but the potential benefits large IMO. Otherwise it seems like the whole idea of allowing Linux on PS3 has gone to waste.

15. patsu

Legend

Ogre3D ? I think it's not optimized for Cell at all. It seems like a "hype" app on top of Mesa for Cell only.

16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

No, Python. You could create a simple UI with that for testing apps, although I've no idea how you'd then integrate that with custom Cell code. Linking back to the audio-on-Cell question, if I wanted to experiment with audio synthesis, could I create a knbs-and-switches frontend in Python and run a final-tuned SPU-based audio app in cahoots with it? Or would the audio application need its own frontend created from scratch?

17. patsu

Legend

Ah yes, I am more confident of the Python-for-PS3 project than Ogre3D. Would be nice if Sony can throw us a LUA player though, *if* they are working on Home SDK for users.

18. rpg.314

Veteran

It's interesting to note that they allow the use of 256 MB GDDR ram as extra RAM (around 252MB is usable) for swapping, but not use of RSX for 3D acceleration.

19. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

The DDR-Ram has no such elaborate way of protection. So hyptothetically speaking you could modify a shader from the Sony-OS in DDR-Ram from Linux, have the shader copy contents back and forth between XDR and DDR Ram when the Sony-OS is running. Then from Linux read/write the DDR-Ram.
    It might be far fetched, but Im sure the main problem is that RSX is not capable of seperating multiple OSes which would be required to ensure there is no access to the wrong resources.

I was hoping for a long time that Sony would provide a driver for RSX at a later time (when the hardware would be sold at revenue), maybe even one that doesnt allow use of shaders to ensure security, but hearing nothing moving on the linux-side, Im pretty sure thats never gonna happen.

20. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

From the Sony ZEGO whitepaper
    http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/ZEGO/ZEGO.shtml
    http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/ZEGO/files/Cell_Computing_Whitepaper.pdf
    Of course these are for the commercial platform with UMA, but hey having something working with Linux is very different from having nothing at all.