PS3, Holiday 2006

coredump

Newcomer
Well, it seems that Microsoft has a 1 year launch window after all.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051105-5530.html

In my opinion, it now doesn't really matter if one console is technically superior to the other. Microsoft has this generation in the bag. Sony must have known that they would have been late quite a while ago (http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571687#post571687).

I believe they run the risk of alienating their core audience by promising something they knew they could not deliver.

Thoughts?

First of all, this article is old, and was posted already (The Hollywood Reporter article). See: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25163

coredump said:
In my opinion, it now doesn't really matter if one console is technically superior to the other. Microsoft has this generation in the bag.

Yeah, seems over.

:rolleyes

coredump said:
I believe they run the risk of alienating their core audience by promising something they knew they could not deliver.

Like what?

As for thoughts - duh. PS3 in Spring in Japan and late 06 in the US has always been the most likely option.

But we actually don't have any confirmation of a release period yet, for the US. The article contains the author's own statement that it'll release a year from now, which is likely derived from the "anonymous film exec" quote included in the article, not from Stringer or Sony.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, it now doesn't really matter if one console is technically superior to the other. Microsoft has this generation in the bag. Sony must have known that they would have been late quite a while ago

WOW! Some people really do hate Sony. Man just wow. Why? What did they do to you as a child?

mckmas8808 said:
WOW! Some people really do hate Sony. Man just wow. Why? What did they do to you as a child?
Such Q&A will not help anyone or anything in the long run. Let it pass.

As for the (rumored) 1 year head start in North America, MS will need it. NA is the only territory MS has shown they can go toe-to-toe with Sony and win, even if only by a sliver. They will need that success to bolster support in other regions. Heck, they might even sell 1 million X360's in Japan.

It has been well established among this forum that Sony would launch the PS3 in Japan for spring 06 then in late fall 06 for north america.

Not only has that article been posted before but the news bit comes off as a "meh" since most people had a feeling the PS3 would likely be released in North america next fall.

And to say microsoft has this console "in the bag" is as laughable as saying the Leafs will win the Cup this year...

Come summer 06, the North american anticipation of the PS3 will become unbearable!

coredump said:
Thoughts?
I think you're maths is way out. From article...
In a demonstration of the swift collaborative response to consumer-driven marketplace changes that a revitalized Sony can deliver, the company soon will unveil a line of compact, portable video devices to fill the time gap before PlayStation 3 launches in Japan in March and in the U.S. a year from now.
With the article dated May this year, a year from May 05 is May 06. XB360 launches end of November. End of November 05 to May 06 isn't a year's headstart.

Shifty Geezer said:
I think you're maths is way out. From article...
With the article dated May this year, a year from May 05 is May 06. XB360 launches end of November. End of November 05 to May 06 isn't a year's headstart.

Um... The article is dated november.

There is still an element of truth to your statement Shifty, the PS3 is expected to be released Spring 06 in Japan. Therefore, the 360 is technically having a few months head start not a year.

I don't see how an inferior console will win the next generation, against the dominate player, if they could not win the current generation with a much superior console. It makes no sense.

I dont get how stubborn these people are. Last gen the ps2 was very disadvantage due to it lack of hardware supremacy and hard to developed for and the next gen, the ps3 will be the most powerful and relatively easier to develop for and Yet some people still think ps3 is the xbox of the current gen.

dantruon said:
I dont get how stubborn these people are. Last gen the ps2 was very disadvantage due to it lack of hardware supremacy and hard to developed for and the next gen, the ps3 will be the most powerful and relatively easier to develop for and Yet some people still think ps3 is the xbox of the current gen.

Ah but it had an 8 million unit head start. Dont casually leave that out! :)

expletive said:
Ah but it had an 8 million unit head start. Dont casually leave that out! :)

That was a factor among others. After all Sony's been a hardware player for a long time...

Mythos said:
That was a factor among others. After all Sony's been a hardware player for a long time...

Yes, which is why i find it funny that the PS2 could possibly be chracterized as 'very disadvadvantaged' last generation.

expletive said:
Yes, which is why i find it funny that the PS2 could possibly be chracterized as 'very disadvadvantaged' last generation.

Because it is harder to develop for than the Xbox. Some people tend to think that is a major disadvantage for the PS3 when compared to the 360 too.

mckmas8808 said:
Because it is harder to develop for than the Xbox. Some people tend to think that is a major disadvantage for the PS3 when compared to the 360 too.
Yeah, but the PS2 headstart meant developers had no choice. They had to adapt or they'd lose out on a huge revenue stream. By the time XBox came out, the developers had already released major titles on PS2 and created game engines for it.

Its very different this time. MS made an excellent development platform and they're coming out first. The only disadvantage Microsoft has this time is fighting against the PlayStation brand.

coredump said:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051105-5530.html

In my opinion, it now doesn't really matter if one console is technically superior to the other. Microsoft has this generation in the bag. Sony must have known that they would have been late quite a while ago (http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571687#post571687).

Thoughts?
It's an interesting interview and lends a lot of credence to those who still believe in Sony's Spring '06 launch and a price of 300-400. I find it interesting, especially given Merril Lynch's report that says Sony won't sell PS3 at a loss based on the CEO's financial guidance, and yet we have here the CEO saying "We'll subsidize the thing."

.Sis

Back