PS3 HDCP problem?

ultragpu

Banned
ok, i just played 1 hour or so of SC4 on ps3 and suddenly the tv goes blank for 1-2 second and then went back up all fine. i assume this could be the HDCP handshake problem but i would like to have your opinions on this. this doesnt really happen to me alot, maybe once during Uncharted like half year ago. im using a Sony bravia X46" so im pretty confident my TV is fine, my HDMI cable costs about $80AU so i guess it's decent. so just wondering if this happened to anyone else and is it something serious? thanks in advance.

Does it do it just with SC4? The reason I ask is that I had similar problems with my PS3 back during the launch period. This then moved onto digital sparklies across the entire screen, then the video output packed up completely meaning an RMA. Not so easy when the PS3 was bought in Canada and I was living in the UK at the time.

Does it do it just with SC4? The reason I ask is that I had similar problems with my PS3 back during the launch period. This then moved onto digital sparklies across the entire screen, then the video output packed up completely meaning an RMA. Not so easy when the PS3 was bought in Canada and I was living in the UK at the time.

this only happens with SC4 so far, none of my other games are causing this trouble thats so weird.

This has happened to me as well while watching blu-ray movies albeit very rarely, maybe 5 times in over a year . My hdmi cable is only $1.97 so I thought maybe it was that, but all six of my hdmi devices use these same cheap hdmi cables with only the PS3 having the rare drop out. My TV is an older Panasonic plasma, I think its hdmi 1.2. I'm curious as to the reason for the drop out as well, although at least you've confirmed that it's unlikely to be due to my cables.

This was a known issue with the Samsung T4665F, especially early units like mine. Screeen would go blank for a few seconds and then come back to normal. It's all well documented on avsforum.com and I'd suggest you check your TV thread over there.

This is most likely NOT the PS3 but your TV. In my case, I took visit from a tech to reaplace the main board of the tv; once done, I never had problems with the PS3 or any other player.

BTW, Samsung tech service was quick and easy to deal with.

thanks for the advices, it hasnt happened yet so far after i tighten up the plugs, so i guess a loosen cable can also cause it?

With my ps3 whenever I switch to something (i.e going from xmb to a movie or a movie to xmb) my screen goes blue for a few seconds and then connects. My 360 over hdmi does not do this.

With my ps3 whenever I switch to something (i.e going from xmb to a movie or a movie to xmb) my screen goes blue for a few seconds and then connects. My 360 over hdmi does not do this.

If you check the input on the TV when you switch on the 360, does your TV lose the connection? I can see that the PJ loses the signal briefly but it catches it again in a split second. I think the PS3 drops the HDMI output briefly.

What do you mean. If I press info I don't loose the connection , if I switch to another input and come back its blue for about 10 seconds on the 360. The ps3 has the problem all the time though just from using the ps3 itself and no changing an input

The PS3 will change resolution for some things, depending on whether or not you allowed different settings in your configuration. 360 always scales to the same output resolution. It's very well possible that this resolution change is sometimes broadcast to the tv even though there isn't an actual resolution change. I think it depends on the TV how fast this is handled - on my PS3/TV combo it's rarely more than a second, and on my LCD screen I think it's even faster (probably because it doesn't have to resync sound).

Come to think of it, maybe sound over HDMI is related to it as well - if your BluRay supports a certain different audio output it may change that over HDMI and the TV may react to that. I don't know if anything like that would ever take place on the 360 considering the much more limited audio output options there, and I'm not sure that the 360 would change native output for things like that anyway.

Is that explanation possible? You could check what the audio playback mode is in your BluRay for instance by showing display info during playback, so you can see what audio mode is being used, and also check what different audio modes you've allowed in your audio settings.

What do you mean. If I press info I don't loose the connection , if I switch to another input and come back its blue for about 10 seconds on the 360. The ps3 has the problem all the time though just from using the ps3 itself and no changing an input

It´s your TV thats the problem, if the PS3 changes resolution or drops the connection your TV has to pick up the HDMI signal again. Aparently the 360 never drops the HDMI signal, so there.

So its the ps3 thats the problem , my xbox 360 , cable box and hd dvd player have no problem with hdmi on this tv

It might be more fruitful to contact your TV manufacturer to see if they have a firmware upgrade to handle changing signals better. Otherwise you're out of luck. But would you kindly let me know what model you have. I will avoid it. :)

So its the ps3 thats the problem , my xbox 360 , cable box and hd dvd player have no problem with hdmi on this tv

Maybe i read it wrong?

if I switch to another input and come back its blue for about 10 seconds on the 360.

That is your TV and not your 360 being a problem. From what i can see going from XMB to a Movie or a Game on the PS3 often changes the Resolution. My PJ has no problem in switching/catching the HDMI signal again in a fraction of a second.

The reason your other devices don't have a problem is they are fixed at the same output resolutio, I think. PS3 changes output resolution depending on application. eg. If you have PS3 set to 1080p, and then play Warhawk, it'll switch output to 720p, requiring the HDCP handshake thingum to happen again. Whereas on XB360, whatever resolution you set will be output without changing.

You could probably test this by forcing your PS3 to stick with one resolution. Go into display setup and disable all supported resolutions except 720p, and see if it blue-screens out so often. It might playing a DVD because of a switch to SD res, which I don't think you can disable. But from games to XMB, it shouldn't interrupt the display. And if this is the case, it points to your TV not responding well to HDMI resolution changes very well.

I actually can't use HDMI with my PS3... there's an issue with the handshake between the system and my particular model of television (Westinghouse 47"). Each company says it's a problem on the other end. My theory is that it's a combination of two different issues, one on each side, that only cause the problem when combined. Which is why HDMI works fine on anything else but the PS3.

However, the HDCP on the DVI ports works like a champ, so I'm not missing anything. :)

I have a similar hiccup on the 360 side, but with the audio. Once during each bootup, the audio in a game will blank out for a second or two. Only once, and it doesn't happen again until after I shut it down and start it up again the next day, even if I swap games. Since I know it's pattern, I don't think twice about it.

Back