PS3 Firmware 2.30

Yay~~ hopefully they improved the shopping flow as well. I like what I see so far !

Now go fix the user experience of XMB (e.g., messy Settings, inconsistent use of buttons throughout, complex BR player UI, better folders, etc), web browsing (e.g., endless plugin dialog, a useful/helpful home page, ...) and PSP (e.g., confusing RemotePlay exit, etc). :)

The DTS-HD Master Audio update is highly anticipated. The folks at AVSforum claimed that upscaling has softened a little in 2.20. And XMB video playback stuttered for some files. Once these are addressed, The PS3 will generate new interests in the HT circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong. I love the XMB. :D

But there are things that needs to be polished before I can recommend it for less patient or less technically minded people. It can also benefit from more consistency in button use. Sony needs to make it perfect because it's used very frequently and is the first thing people experienced.

Don't get me wrong. I love the XMB. :D

But there are things that needs to be polished before I can recommend it for less patience or less technically minded people.
It can also benefit from more consistency.

Simple folder support alone would be enough to make me happy.

What do you mean by messy settings and complex BD playback UI though? The BD/DVD playback UI seems pretty reasonable to me. There are a crap load of settings, but I would be hard pressed to think of a better alternative. Although I'm sure they could if they really tried.

One thing I've always thought they should have is built-in tutorials. The continually updated online manual is nice, but few actually know about it (even though you can easily get to it from the XMB itself). Built-in (optional) tutorials explaining what the user is doing, or tinkering with, would be great. It would help make it more accessible to those not familiar with a lot of the terms and processes involved with Hi-Def media. Not to mention just simply using an "advanced" device like the PS3. It would have to be fully integrated though. Not some standalone videos. But an actual integrated, inline, tutorial, or overlay, that kicks in (or can be called up) while the user is doing whatever it is they might need help with.

Simple folder support alone would be enough to make me happy.

Yes, this is sorely missed.

What do you mean by messy settings and complex BD playback UI though? The BD/DVD playback UI seems pretty reasonable to me.

Messy settings = The first icon in XMB. It consists of a laundry list of "mysterious" items. They need to be organized better. Secondly, a lot of those settings are "Type 1", Type 2", "Type 3", etc. How the hell am I supposed to know what the types mean ? By trial and error ? Even Parental Control is Type 1 to 11. What IS that ?

There is a boatload of things to do in XMB usability. These enhancements seem to fall through the cracks because they are not features. As Sony adds more features without addressing usability concerns, PS3 will become more and more frustrating to use. If few people understand and use these features, why waste the time to do it ? Not everyone will grind through the web to find out how to use a PS3.

BD/DVD playback UI can be improved by laying out the panel better. More frequently used buttons should be grouped together for quick access. SIXAXIS should be enabled for quick jump between buttons. Blu-ray menu use should have a minimum standard usage although admittedly, this is a BDA-level problem. Many "Type N" kind of settings can be found here.

There are a crap load of settings, but I would be hard pressed to think of a better alternative. Although I'm sure they could if they really tried.

Yes. Do it. Clean up XMB.

One thing I've always thought they should have is built-in tutorials. The continually updated online manual is nice, but few actually know about it (even though you can easily get to it from the XMB itself). Built-in (optional) tutorials explaining what the user is doing, or tinkering with, would be great. It would help make it more accessible to those not familiar with a lot of the terms and processes involved with Hi-Def media. Not to mention just simply using an "advanced" device like the PS3. It would have to be fully integrated though. Not some standalone videos. But an actual integrated, inline, tutorial, or overlay, that kicks in (or can be called up) while the user is doing whatever it is they might need help with.

Minimally, they should include a video instruction/tutorial on BD and updated/linked to a website (BD-Live !).

Contextual help would be great.

They have come a L-O-N-G way. I really like XMB personalization. The issue is critical for PS3 because it gives the users very fine-grained control over (too) many aspects. It also overlaps with a PC for some work. For that power, they need to do extra work to stand up against comparisons and heavy usage.

Besides simplify the experience for the average users, the XMB is also lacking in the power user "mode". For example, the keyboard usage scenario is incomplete (Some keys are not mapped). RemotePlay via PSP has similar issues, though they seem to be fixing it as we speak. DLNA is working but Sony should push that consortium to enforce conformance specs. Make it easy for users to find the right server. The experience has to be end-to-end.

It is not a matter of implementing the features. It is an approach of empowering/showering the users with capabilities they can use out of the box, just like that.

EDIT:

Not to take the spotlight away from the new PS store. I must say (again) that I am really happy with the change based on what I see so far. Need to try out the control scheme for real to know if it's smooth and easy to use. If Sony takes the time to improve, it WILL pay off big time. The PS3 is an amazing piece of hardware and software !

Messy settings = The first icon in XMB. It consists of a laundry list of "mysterious" items. They need to be organized better. Secondly, a lot of those settings are "Type 1", Type 2", "Type 3", etc. How the hell am I supposed to know what the types mean ? By trial and error ? Even Parental Control is Type 1 to 11. What IS that ?

Ah, I see. Mystery items indeed. A lot of them.

Oh, I'm not sure if you were actually asking about parental control or just giving an example, but in case you were asking the control level corresponds to the content level. If you look at the info for any game you put in or download (Triangle >About), it will tell you what "level" it is. The higher the level, the more mature the content.

There is a boatload of things to do in XMB usability. These enhancements seem to fall through the cracks because they are not features. As Sony adds more features without addressing usability concerns, PS3 will become more and more frustrating to use. If few people understand and use these features, why waste the time to do it ? Not everyone will grind through the web to find out how to use a PS3.

Agreed. Most users aren't going to grind through the web (or even use the direct XMB link to the manual). I think their approach so far has been "add it and let the users who know about it play with it." I get the feeling that the firmware engineers in SCE (I think they're all in SCEI) are focused on getting whatever performance and functionality they can out of it, and leave support and usability to another group. Seems the problem is that other group, whatever it is, has let the engineers run circles around them!

BD/DVD playback UI can be improved by laying out the panel better. More frequently used buttons should be grouped together for quick access. SIXAXIS should be enabled for quick jump between buttons. Blu-ray menu use should have a minimum standard usage although admittedly, this is a BDA-level problem. Many "Type N" kind of settings can be found here.

I have to admit, when I saw the PS3's playback interface, which looks almost exactly like the PS2's interface, I was a bit disappointed. By minimum standard usage are you referring to some type of menu usage memory, or frequently used memory?

Besides simplify the experience for the average users, the XMB is also lacking in the power user "mode". For example, the keyboard usage scenario is incomplete (Some keys are not mapped).

Yeah, a couple of critical buttons are not mapped. Although many are mapped, but not clearly so (and requires a lot of experimenting). PS Button to Windows Key would be perfect.

Ah, I see. Mystery items indeed. A lot of them.

Oh, I'm not sure if you were actually asking about parental control or just giving an example, but in case you were asking the control level corresponds to the content level. If you look at the info for any game you put in or download (Triangle >About), it will tell you what "level" it is. The higher the level, the more mature the content.

Yes I saw that. But what does it mean with respect to any industrywide rating systems. If you searched the web, Sony's PS3 online manual says: "Parental control settings for games vary depending on the region where the games are sold. For details, visit the SCE Web site for your region. Depending on the region, some software manuals may contain information on these settings."

Is this good enough for a parent with genuine concern ? I still don't know what number to use for my son. The only logical option is to turn it all the way up. According to the online manual, there is another similar setting for "DVD Parental Control" (1 to 8). Same problem.

Agreed. Most users aren't going to grind through the web (or even use the direct XMB link to the manual). I think their approach so far has been "add it and let the users who know about it play with it." I get the feeling that the firmware engineers in SCE (I think they're all in SCEI) are focused on getting whatever performance and functionality they can out of it, and leave support and usability to another group. Seems the problem is that other group, whatever it is, has let the engineers run circles around them!

Yes. Without customer feedback, it will remain that way. There are always new features to add. The thing is sometimes the existing features don't get used because there are gaps in the solutions. They will be left "as is" if no one complains. Worsestill, many may misunderstand the features or apply them wrongly, making them think that the system does not work (DLNA is a good example here).

I have to admit, when I saw the PS3's playback interface, which looks almost exactly like the PS2's interface, I was a bit disappointed. By minimum standard usage are you referring to some type of menu usage memory, or frequently used memory?

Why can't it be context sensitive ? It suffers from the same issue as the old PS Store. Meaningful actions got translated into a potentially long series of up, down, left, right arrows. For a better scheme, they could reserve a button for selecting the context/mode/group, then the rest for context sensitive actions (Play, rewind, show stats, title, ...). The default context being the usual playback options (Play, rewind, ff, next chapter, ...). The existing controller buttons can still be mapped to each action and also shown on screen under each context. That way, each action can be accessed using 1, 2 (or 3 max) button presses.

The PS3 already does something similar. Without press ^, the controller buttons are mapped to common functions. The challenge/trick is to extend the same behaviour to other advanced features.

Usage-based dynamic layout is fine too but they need to make sure it works. Sometimes a dynamic layout is harder to use because the users expect consistency. Their "finger memory" may not like shuffling buttons.

Then, there are other models (e.g., use the motion sensing controller). Even though they may take longer to execute, some (many ?) people may like it better because point-n-click is conceptually simpler.

Yeah, a couple of critical buttons are not mapped. Although many are mapped, but not clearly so (and requires a lot of experimenting). PS Button to Windows Key would be perfect.

Yes... since few people use keyboard. I didn't want to complain about them (yet). :)

RTFM? ;) I think they're listed in the front of every BRD game. They're certainly on the front page of my EOJ copy. Okay, you probably want to know what the levels are at setup rather than when you're opening a game...

I agree that is some ways it's messy, but as I've said before, there're a lot of settings to worry about. The only other change I can think to potentially improve that is sub-menus for different categories. But AFAICS the mess-of-options is endemic to modern, versatile CE goods. Modern TVs have pages of settings, none of which are explained either! That's what the manual is supposed to be for. You use the manual during setup, then forget about it and use the common functions, which need to be intuitive in a way settings can get away with not being as you're not changing them every day.

Not everyone will grind through the web to find out how to use a PS3.
In theory the online manual is a couple of clicks away from within the XMB. I haven't investigated it to see how accurate it is though.

Contextual help would be great.
Definitely. Perhaps a re-working of the ugly messaging bar, and using that for context sensitive help on options, linked to the online manual maybe to keep it updated?

They have come a L-O-N-G way. I really like XMB personalization. The issue is critical for PS3 because it gives the users very fine-grained control over (too) many aspects. It also overlaps with a PC for some work. For that power, they need to do extra work to stand up against comparisons and heavy usage.
Tampering with PS3's settings in no worse than Windows though. Windows options are all over the shop with no explanations too! Plus MS keep moving them! Same with XB360's blades - at least when we've had to find things, we've never known exactly where to look. Where you have subjective classifications - does parent control come under security or user - different people will have different expectations of where to look for things. Perhaps an option is a 'search' function where you type in what you're looking for and the option is presented? Seems overkill though!

RTFM? ;) I think they're listed in the front of every BRD game. They're certainly on the front page of my EOJ copy. Okay, you probably want to know what the levels are at setup rather than when you're opening a game...

... or rather, as a general policy to enforce around my house. A number in EoJ hardly tells me anything about what number I should set in my PS3.

An average user would be look for something like a ESRB rating. Granted, these are region based but there should be an official Sony page somewhere to explain the mapping clearly.

I can't find the number of RFOM. And to my horror, I opened my EoJ box and found my manual missing. >_<

I agree that is some ways it's messy, but as I've said before, there're a lot of settings to worry about. The only other change I can think to potentially improve that is sub-menus for different categories. But AFAICS the mess-of-options is endemic to modern, versatile CE goods. Modern TVs have pages of settings, none of which are explained either! That's what the manual is supposed to be for. You use the manual during setup, then forget about it and use the common functions, which need to be intuitive in a way settings can get away with not being as you're not changing them every day.

Hide/organize them properly. Even the gurus need more information about "Type N". Every time I went into that Settings icon, I felt like a two year old. Suddenly, everything doesn't make sense. I know I am not the only one because others have told me the same thing before.

Aiight, I don't want to belabor this point. You guys know what I mean.

In theory the online manual is a couple of clicks away from within the XMB. I haven't investigated it to see how accurate it is though.

It's accurate but not quite helpful enough to tackle the settings maze.... which reminds me: That default PS3 page has to go. It looks more like a placeholder. They used to link it to the online manual (May be that was the PSP web browser ?).

Definitely. Perhaps a re-working of the ugly messaging bar, and using that for context sensitive help on options, linked to the online manual maybe to keep it updated?

Tampering with PS3's settings in no worse than Windows though. Windows options are all over the shop with no explanations too! Plus MS keep moving them! Same with XB360's blades - at least when we've had to find things, we've never known exactly where to look. Where you have subjective classifications - does parent control come under security or user - different people will have different expectations of where to look for things. Perhaps an option is a 'search' function where you type in what you're looking for and the option is presented? Seems overkill though!

Come on, don't use the low end to compare. Use the high end. Set a high standard so that everyone can use the advanced features if they want to. We want to improve right ? :)

Some sort of search is definitely helpful. The online manual has it.

Yay~~ hopefully they improved the shopping flow as well. I like what I see so far !

Now go fix the user experience of XMB (e.g., messy Settings, inconsistent use of buttons throughout, complex BR player UI, better folders, etc), web browsing (e.g., endless plugin dialog, a useful/helpful home page, ...) and PSP (e.g., confusing RemotePlay exit, etc). :)

The DTS-HD Master Audio update is highly anticipated. The folks at AVSforum claimed that upscaling has softened a little in 2.20. And XMB video playback stuttered for some files. Once these are addressed, The PS3 will generate new interests in the HT circle.

Does that mean that the DTS-HD MA bitstream is available through HDMI or that PS3 decodes it internally and outputs it in PCM format through HDMI? Hopefully, both is the case and the former case is available... Unfortunately, the PCM format through HDMI has its own limitations as far as I know..

Ok, I am one step closer to PS3 now. Give me DTS-HD MA through HDMI and then throw in the dual-shock 3 to the box, then I am in! :)

... or rather, as a general policy to enforce around my house. A number in EoJ hardly tells me anything about what number I should set in my PS3.

An average user would be look for something like a ESRB rating. Granted, these are region based but there should be an official Sony page somewhere to explain the mapping clearly.
In my EoJ manual, there's a table of PS3 level on left, PEGI rating on the right. So what you after is there, at least in EoJ. Level 9 is a PEGI of 18+, 7 = 16+, 5 = 10+, 3 = 7+, 2 = 3+. The online manual doesn't list them as it explains they vary by region. It provides a link but that was a page of other links and I didn't dig deeper.

Yes, this is the sort of information that should be on the official sites (*.playstation.com) and in the online manual at least. The most comprehensive article on PS3 parental control I can find is here: http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=3558

It looks like it's compiled by trial and error, but feels solid enough nonetheless.

Nesh, 15th April.

EDIT: Well actually, it should be laid out in a step-by-step manner, just like in the link above, in the PS3 manual so that parents don't have to search online.

Does that mean that the DTS-HD MA bitstream is available through HDMI or that PS3 decodes it internally and outputs it in PCM format through HDMI? Hopefully, both is the case and the former case is available... Unfortunately, the PCM format through HDMI has its own limitations as far as I know..

Ok, I am one step closer to PS3 now. Give me DTS-HD MA through HDMI and then throw in the dual-shock 3 to the box, then I am in! :)

Then you are all set starting June: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...patriots-–-product-details-revealed/#more-467

Fourth, the “Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots” PLAYSTATION 3 Hardware Bundle…

2401726269_cac26b7bcd.jpg

Again, hot off the presses, a never before seen box! Of note, for the first time ever, the PS3 will be packaged in a white box as opposed to the typical black one, and of course, is also branded with MGS4 goodness! Inside you will find the 80GB PLAYSTATION 3 package (yes, the 80GB PS3 has been resurrected for this bundle), and will include a PS3 DualShock 3 controller - yes, the PS3 controller that rumbles, and the MGS4 SE (detailed above).

Don't know when the 40Gb + Dualshock 3 bundle will happen.

Someone else was looking for a 80Gb PS3 here. Can't seem to find the post using the forum search.

Internal decoding of advanced audio codecs is all that is confirmed at the moment. If bitstreaming was to be made available in this next update, they would probably have addressed that explicitly, as well as mentioned TrueHD (for bitstreaming).

Back