PS3 Browser

D3v0ur3r

Regular
Ok. So I got my new PS3 & after a day of working out the kinks I am finally getting to really enjoy the PS3. However one issue that is really getting annoying is the constant "Would you like to use the plugin?" question I get on dang near every page load while trying to surf on the PS3.

What the heck is the plugin?
Do I really need it?
Is there a way to either force to auto on or off?

I was wondering if it was Java but I switched that to off & I still got the question so I am guessing that's not the "plugin". Man is that annoying though.

Thanks to all the big brains here at B3D for helping me in the past few days as well. :)

Ok. So I got my new PS3 & after a day of working out the kinks I am finally getting to really enjoy the PS3. However one issue that is really getting annoying is the constant "Would you like to use the plugin?" question I get on dang near every page load while trying to surf on the PS3.

What the heck is the plugin?
Do I really need it?
Is there a way to either force to auto on or off?

I was wondering if it was Java but I switched that to off & I still got the question so I am guessing that's not the "plugin". Man is that annoying though.

Thanks to all the big brains here at B3D for helping me in the past few days as well. :)

Believe it or not, its much better than it was before. It use to ask you about every plug-in, for every page (I think the Flash plug-in, among others, falls into this category). So, you could get several plug-in prompts for each page.

No way to stop this, or force yes/no currently. But they've improved it once, so, I assume they're aware of the problem and are working on it. I'm guessing the browser takes the back seat to other issues, however.

Well that sucks there isn't a way to force on or off.

It happens most often with the Flash plugin. It doesn't bother you after a while though.

If you get used to the browser, it's actually really cool and useful. There are two things that are keeping me, personally, from not using it even more than I already do:

- being able to type into a textbox directly with a keyboard, rather than using the overlay screen
- Flash 9 support would be nice, for stuff like gametrailers (though youtube works, which is great) and online photo albums (which are after all really cool to be able to watch together with your visitors from the couch)

Other than that though, it's pretty good, speed is decent, multiple windows works well and fast, and the zooming functionality is better than in most pc browsers.

- being able to type into a textbox directly with a keyboard, rather than using the overlay screen

You can, actually, but only if your display settings are on 1080i/p (that was added in an update some time ago). I hope they change this to all resolutions at some point. Or at least give us the option.

You can, actually, but only if your display settings are on 1080i/p (that was added in an update some time ago). I hope they change this to all resolutions at some point. Or at least give us the option.

Huh, really?! I didn't know that! I thought that the early reports on that feature were in error. Will have to test that. If true, then there's good hope that we'll get this in the other modes sooner or later. Is the text-length cap still the same?

Huh, really?! I didn't know that! I thought that the early reports on that feature were in error. Will have to test that. If true, then there's good hope that we'll get this in the other modes sooner or later. Is the text-length cap still the same?

I thought the reports were in error too, because I tried it, and it didn't work. Then I stumbled across this:

Entering text in online text fields

Using a commercially available USB keyboard, you can now enter text directly into text entry fields of Web pages.

inline_EN.jpg

If you place the cursor in the field and then press the [Enter] key of the USB keyboard, you can perform text entry.
Hints

• You may not be able to use this feature on some Web pages.
  • Text entry in online text fields can be performed only when [1080i] or [1080p] has been set in [Video Output Settings] under
    icn_displaysettings.gif
    (Display Settings).

Not sure about the text length cap. I'll have to test that.

As we're here (and have an expert lurking!) is there a way to open links in a new window? I've never found out how to do that? If, indeed, it is actually possible.

As we're here (and have an expert lurking!) is there a way to open links in a new window? I've never found out how to do that? If, indeed, it is actually possible.

Holding the X button on a link opens the site in a new window.

Another nice thing is being able to download .mp4s directly to the harddrive. Sadly, GameTrailers/Videos/Spot don't provide the type of mp4 the PS3 likes. Gamersyde does, though.

I also really like the opposite, if you have several windows, then if you press circle it will ask you if you want to close the browser, but if you hold circle then it will just close that window.

I tested the 1080i mode and indeed it does work. Hopefully they implement it in 720p though, because the browser just looks nicer (and everything runs a bit better too) in that resolution on my tv.

Back