PS3 + 60" Pioneer Pro-150FD + Planet Earth Bluray = Holy God

Natoma

Veteran
The setting, after everything was taken from the delivered packaging, last night:

Pioneer Pro-150FD, 8' away, 1080p visual, PS3 loaded with Planet Earth bluray disc, all of the lights out.

The reaction upon playing the disc:

Holy.... mother.... of.... jeebus.... save me.... :oops:

I watched the first 20 minutes last night before going to bed, just to get a taste, and I could not pick my jaw up off the floor for the entire time. It was, in a word, stunning.

Just, wow. I haven't purchased the A/V and speakers yet, but I'm looking at the Onkyo 905 or the Integra equivalent. Hopefully when all of the furniture arrives, I'll be able to get more comfy with everything.

p.s.: PS3 + 20mb/20mb FIOS = yummy download goodness. :D

Agreed - though I've a measly 50" Panny 1080p plasma...love that first pan over the waterfall...

I'll let you borrow my hd dvd player and my 360 and then you will be blown away. Hott Fuzz is amazing as is THe bourne trilogy. Though somethings will upset you. Do not watch the original superman movies on bluray. It will make you cry at how poorly the special effects hold up

The setting, after everything was taken from the delivered packaging, last night:

Pioneer Pro-150FD, 8' away, 1080p visual, PS3 loaded with Planet Earth bluray disc, all of the lights out.

The reaction upon playing the disc:

Holy.... mother.... of.... jeebus.... save me.... :oops:

Agreed wholeheartedly. The six-plumed bird is out of this world (I always have to mention this when someone brought up Planet Earth).

I'll let you borrow my hd dvd player and my 360 and then you will be blown away. Hott Fuzz is amazing as is THe bourne trilogy. Though somethings will upset you. Do not watch the original superman movies on bluray. It will make you cry at how poorly the special effects hold up

Bah. A bad mix to blu is good to know about but means nothing about the tech.

Bah. A bad mix to blu is good to know about but means nothing about the tech.

its just the movies. They suck on hd dvd also but I don't see him buying them on a format he doesn't have :) The movies are very old and the special effects did not age well. It looks like they projected an image behind the actors using a 320x240 projector that supported very few colors. It looks really bad. At one point in the second one Zod is standing across from superman about to throw that piece of building and he is basicly a low res blur . Then before they are about to blow all the humans down the street their feet don't even match with the backround. It just looks bad all around

Just, wow. I haven't purchased the A/V and speakers yet, but I'm looking at the Onkyo 905 or the Integra equivalent. Hopefully when all of the furniture arrives, I'll be able to get more comfy with everything.

Denon 3808ci or 4308ci and the Axiom Epic 80s - you will love yourself :p.

Until you see the dent in your pocket book of course.

Don't skimp on the sound though - sound is 50% of the movie. Onkyo are good receivers as well. I'm just part of the cult of Denon. It is said the brainwashing chips in the Denon's are so good that once you buy one you will never buy another brand. Sounds like a nice setup one way or the other though.

its just the movies. They suck on hd dvd also but I don't see him buying them on a format he doesn't have :) The movies are very old and the special effects did not age well. It looks like they projected an image behind the actors using a 320x240 projector that supported very few colors.
They did ;) Or to be specific, IIRC, they didn't use CSO/chromokeying but instead used a wall of glass beads behind supes and projected the image on, including over the actors. The beads reflected back some of the light to produce the visible background, but it was a watered-down projection, and the camera filmed something that had been filmed previously. Think of it as a VHS recording of a VHS recording, and you'll see the reason for poor quality.

Denon 3808ci or 4308ci and the Axiom Epic 80s - you will love yourself :p.

Until you see the dent in your pocket book of course.

Don't skimp on the sound though - sound is 50% of the movie. Onkyo are good receivers as well. I'm just part of the cult of Denon. It is said the brainwashing chips in the Denon's are so good that once you buy one you will never buy another brand. Sounds like a nice setup one way or the other though.

I'm not spending more than $2500 on a receiver. So if those are more than that, :LOL:

Any suggestions on speakers?

General PS3 question:

Are there any settings that I have to use to make sure that I'm getting the best audio and video from the PS3? What about downloads and patches and all that. Anyone have a Q&A that I can follow to make sure it's all pimped out?

I purchased the $399 40GB version.

p.s.: For some reason it will not play any videos when I go online. I mouse over the videos and I click "X" to play it, but nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong here? Tried to look at the GTA trailers.

PS3 doesn't support Flash 9, so you cant watch movies on gametrailers. But youtube and gamesyde works fine.

However, since the last update, you can select 'Download' and then choose the Windows Media version, and it will immediately start live-streaming that file instead to full-screen, which is almost even better! I love that feature and have used it lots already.

The only thing that would be nice is if we could get an easier button to select that option from the browser than currently, but other than that it is perfect. My connection is only fast enough to stream the SD versions without pause, but that's still great.

For keeping your PS3 patched up, it's no different from the Wii - just always download the latest firmware and you've got everything you need.

From there on, getting the best Video and Audio just depends on your settings. It should automatically pick your best options, since you have HDMI and 1080p. There are a few audio and display settings that could make your experience even better, depending on whether or not your TV and Receiver support it. In some cases, you'll just have to try and see if it makes a difference.

Most notably:
- try the Display Settings for Full RGB. This should give a huge boost in color range and contrast, and make Planet Earth look even better. If there's no obvious difference or it only gets darker with no improvement in color range (i.e. the brights also get darker), your TV maybe supports Super White instead, and you can try that option.
- some of the sound options, there's a Bitstream Type 3 option you can choose that can sound better for instance. I don't know the details of this one, exactly. Ditto for Audio CD output, there are some settings like upscale to 172hz and such. Again, here you'll have to experiment, or ask someone more knowledgeable than me, or go to AVForums. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody should update that page :D

Is the PS3 Profile 2.0 compatible?

Not yet, but Sony has announced that it will be, via a firmware update.

should be

Is the PS3 Profile 2.0 compatible?

Yes.

;)

They did ;) Or to be specific, IIRC, they didn't use CSO/chromokeying but instead used a wall of glass beads behind supes and projected the image on, including over the actors. The beads reflected back some of the light to produce the visible background, but it was a watered-down projection, and the camera filmed something that had been filmed previously. Think of it as a VHS recording of a VHS recording, and you'll see the reason for poor quality.

They should really fix that some how. Its fugly.

General PS3 question:

Are there any settings that I have to use to make sure that I'm getting the best audio and video from the PS3? What about downloads and patches and all that. Anyone have a Q&A that I can follow to make sure it's all pimped out?

Turn the RBG setting to limited so you're not crushing black. Visit AVS forum for getting settings for the Pro150. Great choices!

Natoma is there any possibility to post some pictures/photos of this wonderfull displays (or link to see this beatifull display in action with ps3/BD?)?;)

Since now thanx a lot.

(im dreaming some day see pioneer launch your dislplays plasma in my country)

You can't use static images to showcase Planet Earth.

Imagine the first scene on a big screen:

My ZOMGWTFBBQ moment.

Buy Planet Earth !

Back